_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wiki pages

Default Re: Wiki pages

Quote Originally Posted by Redgineer View Post
    The page has now been deleted:

Sorry, this page was recently deleted (within the last 24 hours). The deletion, protection, and move log for the page are provided below for reference.
    17:42, 29 December 2017 Wbm1058 (talk_| contribs) moved page Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns to Draft:Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns/older history without leaving a redirect (continuing the history-merging process)
    17:38, 29 December 2017 Wbm1058 (talk_| contribs) restored page Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (194 revisions) (for WP:histmerge)
    17:36, 29 December 2017 Wbm1058 (talk_| contribs) moved page Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns to Draft:Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns without leaving a redirect (beginning history merging process; see Talk:Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns#Sub articles, categories, navboxes, etc.)
    02:21, 29 December 2017 TonyBallioni (talk_| contribs) deleted page Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns (G6: Deleted to make way for move)
    I think I had copied the link to the "move" page??? IDK what happened, but here is the correct link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:L..._December_2017

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

All I know is that when I type in Louisiana Ragin Cajuns I get a wiki page that identifies Louisiana Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    All I know is that when I type in Louisiana Ragin Cajuns I get a wiki page that identifies Louisiana Lafayette.
    I got the same thing, but if you click on it, it redirects to Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Ragin%27_Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Ok, if you do a search within Wiki you will get Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. But if you do a Google/Bing search you may still see a "Louisiana-Layette" ..... I think it will just take a while for it to catch up with us....wiki helps a lot in this regards....but it will happen. I think we need to be just a little patient.

Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Success!

I'm happy to report that, due to AirBill's efforts, the wiki pages for our athletic programs are now 'allowed' to reflect our correct name. Now that this consensus has been reached, anyone changing them to anything but 'Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns' will be considered to be committing vandalism, and will be handled as such. If needed, the pages can even be 'locked' so that only non-vandals are allowed to edit on it.

Conversely, any time you come across a wiki article using the incorrect version you should change it....or let us know so we can. By example, although the main pages are now correct, sub-pages like articles about Hudspeth or the NOLA bowls, may not be.

Regardless of what your opinion of Wikipedia is the fact is they are a HUGE presence on the internet and how many folks first get info on us. Major kudos to AirBill for getting this done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Ragin%27_Cajuns
    Now, how do we get Google to recognize this change? That's the last nail in the anti-namers' cof|in. How?

Edit to add: I'm referring to Google searches in general, not wikipedia. Example: "OK Google: Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns score."

When I search Google for "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns," the wikipedia page is titled "Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns - Wikipedia." But clicking on the link takes me to "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns" on Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    When I search Google for "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns," the wikipedia page is titled "Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns - Wikipedia." But clicking on the link takes me to "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns" on Wikipedia.
    yep, see post #66 above

Thank you AirBill!

This is a great team effort, guys! The day is yours!

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    Bing is still using the "old" wiki page. Now, if we could just get them to update their Wiki source page.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Bing is still using the "old" wiki page. Now, if we could just get them to update their Wiki source page.
    Google and Bing will update with time. Those crawlers have to get to work.

Exactly. It'll take some time for the search engines to redirect and individual caches to clear.

I'm not gonna lie. This feels good. It's almost as good as ESPN switching to Louisiana. What's great about this is this was done by Wikipedia's rules. Their admin editors were presented with the evidence, and they made the right choice. This is easily the consensus. As someone pointed out earlier, any attempt to switch it back will be marked as vandalism. We are who we say we are: We Are Louisiana! Great day!!

Thank you all for your efforts! Without reading the entire thread and all the Wiki detail, is there any indication of who exactly was causing the most "problems" with getting the name change?

Great job Airbill and all others who have worked on getting the issue corrected.

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Exactly. It'll take some time for the search engines to redirect and individual caches to clear.

I'm not gonna lie. This feels good. It's almost as good as ESPN switching to Louisiana. What's great about this is this was done by Wikipedia's rules. Their admin editors were presented with the evidence, and they made the right choice. This is easily the consensus. As someone pointed out earlier, any attempt to switch it back will be marked as vandalism.

We are who we say we are: We Are Louisiana! Great day!!

Thank you AirBill !

Really great team effort. Great persistence. Thi. we are winning the name fight inereal life, and I never thought I would see the day.

That's exactly what changing the name on Wikipedia is. Vandalism. What an enormous victory.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post

I'm not gonna lie. This feels good. It's almost as good as ESPN switching to Louisiana. What's great about this is this was done by Wikipedia's rules. Their admin editors were presented with the evidence, and they made the right choice. This is easily the consensus. As someone pointed out earlier, any attempt to switch it back will be marked as vandalism. We are who we say we are: We Are Louisiana! Great day!!
    Nice job!

Now we just need to get ESPN to fix the "ULL" usage to be "LA" for the stats/abbreviations.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Nice job!

Now we just need to get ESPN to fix the "ULL" usage to be "LA" for the stats/abbreviations.
    This is hopefully next

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast