_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wiki pages

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Wiki pages

I have edited the page several times and always get threatened. Did you need to have an account to comment on changing the name?

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    I also added this nugget from a mod, back in 2015:

It really shouldn't even be an issue by now.
    JohninDC" is of course disputing the obvious. You should ask him what is the magic number that will push us over the bar, at least in his mind. He keeps saying that we are 'making progress' but still 'not there yet.' Well, what in the hell is it that will get us 'there?'

Someone named Geauxruston trying to vandalize the page. Sheesh... Don't those guys have anything else to do in Rus---

Oh, right.

I love the teaching moments when my students try to use Wiki as a source!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    "JohninDC" is of course disputing the obvious. You should ask him what is the magic number that will push us over the bar, at least in his mind. He keeps saying that we are 'making progress' but still 'not there yet.' Well, what in the hell is it that will get us 'there?'
    Show that a _______ this post and say "Plus 1 mother____er!"

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-billy-napier/

Blog Entries

In part the article stated "Edwards's return to coaching as 247Sports.com is reporting that Louisiana (the school formerly known as Louisiana-Lafayette) has offered its head-coaching job to Billy Napier."
    Thank you John Taylor.

The athletic department should be maintaining this page...

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm in awe how some people oppose this so much. Does that wiki guy have a freaking kid that goes to ULM? Why the hell do you care so much? Call us what the media has chosen to call us.

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    The revision history is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history
    Seriously pathetic. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    I spoke with a moderator today. Here's my email:

Here's what he had to say:

With that knowledge, I've created a page move request to change the reference to Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. Here's a link if anyone wants to look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:L..._December_2017

There is a seven day discussion period. Hopefully, the references I provided will be more than enough to satisfy the mods' concerns. Which seem to be valid. None of the ones I've come across seem to be from the LSU/Tech/ULM crowd.

Any update on your efforts sir? I think it's been a full 7 day period. Looks like a lot of support and only a couple of excuse makers left.

Do you think this will finally be changed soon?

Thanks for your efforts. Here are the comments.

Requested move 14 December 2017 Edit

Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns → Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns – It's time to make this move. Most national sports media, and all local media, are referring to sports programs at the University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette as "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns". Many in-state media also use Louisiana, and some continue to use Louisiana-Lafayette and ULL; however, the ones who do use this outdated reference have ulterior motives to do so. As for the abbreviation, the school guide requests LA, which would fit stylistically with Louisiana. Here is a list of media that uses Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns: ESPN CBS NBC Sun Belt Conference MSN Fox Sports Daily Advertiser (local paper) KATC TV (local television stations) Yahoo Airbill (talk) 03:21, 14 December 2017 (UTC)

Oppose move. There's certainly an argument to be made in favor of a move, but one thing that supposedly supports that argument (the school guide) is a first-party source, and I have yet to see a reliable third-party source abbreviate them as "LA". So it comes down to usage in third-party reliable sources, and at this point, you yourself admit that "Louisiana-Lafayette" is still in use by some sources. In addition, "Louisiana-Lafayette" matches the common name of the school, as this university is not the flagship of the University of Louisiana System. Therefore, I believe that the current name should stay intact to avoid confusion with fellow Sun Belt member and UL System school ULM. ONR (talk) 05:34, 14 December 2017 (UTC)

Response: I agree, third party sources should be used. Accordingly, I have provided seven major national sources, along with two local sources, all of which use Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. I've also provided a link to the conference's website, which refers to the school as Louisiana. While I admit that support for 'LA' is not as generally accepted, there has been progress on that front: Fox Sports box score . As for any confusion between Louisiana and ULM, this issue has been accepted by the administration of ULM, which did not object to the school's use of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns, and which has decided to focus on promoting its own brand as ULM. Monroe News-Star article Finally, according to Billcasey905 from way back in April 2015: "If major independent media outlets, to include the Ragin' Cajuns own conference, start calling the school Louisiana, I and most others will change our position." This has been more than amply demonstrated to have occurred. Airbill (talk) 13:45, 14 December 2017 (UTC)
    NCAA statistics page reference to Louisiana: Link Airbill (talk) 14:14, 14 December 2017 (UTC)

Comment: I don't know. Usage at ESPN seems inconsistent at best. In actual practice they seem to stick "Louisiana-Lafayette", see by way of example the many recent columns at this link: http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/309/louisiana-ragin%27-cajuns (yes I acknowledge the page title); and indeed the network seems either to be not fully committed, or confused, by the new nomenclature - http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2017/10/13/ul-espn-were-cajuns-not-leopards-wildcats/762513001/ . The school's rebranding efforts are certainly taking hold but I am not sure we're there yet. JohnInDC (talk) 14:14, 14 December 2017 (UTC)

Support move. Per comments above by UCO2009bluejay and SportsMaster and citations provided by Airbill. The right decision was made in 2015 not to make this move despite the U's branding efforts. However, the rebranding has now taken hold with the majority of third-party sources referring to the program as "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns". Cbl62 (talk) 17:13, 15 December 2017 (UTC)

Comment: Shouldn't it include the apostrophe? —BarrelProof (talk) 19:33, 15 December 2017 (UTC)
    Comment: If you mean "Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns," that would be no. The correct way is "Louisiana Ragin Cajuns." Pncomeaux (talk) —Preceding undated comment added 19:43, 15 December 2017 (UTC)

Comment I think BarrelProof was talking about the apostrophe at the the end of "Ragin". Jweiss11 (talk) 20:04, 15 December 2017 (UTC)

Response: Yes, it should be Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns, with the apostrophe occurring after Ragin'. I've updated the page move request. Airbill (talk) 07:27, 18 December 2017 (UTC)
    Support per my statement before the move request it is time, the sports team pages and season pages for 2017- should be moved as well, but the university page must remain the same under no circumstance should references to ULL be changed to UL.UCO2009bluejay (talk) 21:10, 15 December 2017 (UTC)

Oppose move. At best, I'm seeing a mixed bag in terms of how the national media is treating this (this is one of those few areas where I wouldn't put much stock in what the local media says here - they'll generally parrot whatever the department puts out, as their jobs are dependent on access from the department). For a potential move request with lots of long-time contention like this one has historically had, I'd want to see darn-near 100% unanimity before I'd vote to change away from a solid, long-standing consensus like this one has had. Ejgreen77 (talk) 23:23, 15 December 2017 (UTC)

Neutral, but if it's moved, there needs to be an apostrophe after "Ragin". – Right now I can lean either way, so I am remaining neutral. ESPN seems to use a mix box both and NBC Sports uses Louisiana. It seems to be a mix between the two. I'm going with consensus unless someone convinces me otherwise. Corky Buzz by the Hornet's Nest 00:23, 16 December 2017 (UTC)

Support but move to Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. After I thought it about some more, I have decided to change my decision to support for a couple of different reasons. A) I believe there are enough sources to justify the new name (see section above); B) I'm tired of having these discussions and reverting IPs and new users because they want to have the article be branded with the school; C) Not everyone will be happy either way and we need to put an end to this mess; and D) This move will eventually take place so why not just do it now? Corky Buzz by the Hornet's Nest 21:21, 17 December 2017 (UTC)

Oppose move. I acknowledge that the new name is taking hold, but I really don't like the idea of enlisting Wikipedia to further the school's expressly-stated "rebranding" efforts: "Our reference and our abbreviation will definitely improve our visibility on a national level, which improves our national brand." [4] - and like Ejgreen77 above, think that renaming here should come after the changeover is really pretty unequivocally established among the third party sources. JohnInDC (talk) 01:05, 16 December 2017 (UTC)
    NOTE Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns football, Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns men's basketball, Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns women's basketball, Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns baseball, and Louisiana–Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns softball should also move contigent on a successful move request here. UCO2009bluejay (talk) 21:45, 17 December 2017 (UTC)

Oppose for now. Prior efforts which achieved consensus on WP:COMMONNAME included evaluation of db-driven strings (schedule, stats, headers) across major portals, local editorial prose, and national editorial prose. Since that has not occurred to date, there is insufficient evidence to reach a new consensus. Special:Contributions/Airbill (5 edits in 2012 and 2 edits in 2016) recently reappeared to initiate this discussion. While WP:AGF, there are obvious and long-standing WP:GAME and WPE elements across multiple editors to change the consensus. It really is not that hard for proponents. They simply need to show evidence of change (and status-quo where relevant) to update the common name, and other editors will be convinced to support. UW Dawgs (talk) 21:50, 17 December 2017 (UTC)

Response. What about the several examples I provided above that listed major national and local instances where Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns was used? If you saw those examples and still have this objection, I guess I don't understand what your objection is, because the samples provided seem to me to provide the proof that you require. Airbill (talk) 07:25, 18 December 2017 (UTC)

Support As evidence that it is indeed time to make this move, we need look no further than one of the 'Oppose' move comments from A. Foley from back in July of 2013: ".....Every major media outlet refers to them as Louisiana–Lafayette. Their own Sun Belt Conference refers to them as Louisiana–Lafayette and the other school as Louisiana–Monroe." So to reiterate the obvious, most major media outlets now refer to them as "Louisiana," this includes, but is not limited to ESPN, CBS, NBC, Fox, MSN, and Yahoo. To further prove that they have now surpassed the bar as set by A. Foley, the SBC conference itself references not only "Louisiana" for the school, but also "ULM" for the school in Monroe. The bar had been set, and has now been achieved. Pncomeaux (talk)

Comment User talk:Pncomeaux displays a two-year history of WPE and WP:EDITWARRING. Pncomeaux shows WP:SPA and possible WP:SOCK issues. So the above is not a change of opinion based on any new evidence, rather a restatement of their standing non-consensus view. UW Dawgs (talk) 04:25, 23 December 2017 (UTC)

Support move Seeing that a majority of national media outlets, including those who were often previously cited to oppose the move, I now support this change. I know it will take some more time for other media outlets to pick up the name, but I think this has achieved critical mass. Billcasey905 (talk) 01:21, 23 December 2017 (UTC)

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Fantastic work AirBill!

Still think the school should be on top of this....but thank goodness for dedicated fans!
    Let the AD know and I can assure you he will get this to his people....

Success!

I'm happy to report that, due to AirBill's efforts, the wiki pages for our athletic programs are now 'allowed' to reflect our correct name. Now that this consensus has been reached, anyone changing them to anything but 'Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns' will be considered to be committing vandalism, and will be handled as such. If needed, the pages can even be 'locked' so that only non-vandals are allowed to edit on it.

Conversely, any time you come across a wiki article using the incorrect version you should change it....or let us know so we can. By example, although the main pages are now correct, sub-pages like articles about Hudspeth or the NOLA bowls, may not be.

Regardless of what your opinion of Wikipedia is the fact is they are a HUGE presence on the internet and how many folks first get info on us. Major kudos to AirBill for getting this done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Ragin%27_Cajuns

Success!

I'm happy to report that, due to AirBill's efforts, the wiki pages for our athletic programs are now 'allowed' to reflect our correct name. Now that this consensus has been reached, anyone changing them to anything but 'Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns' will be considered to be committing vandalism, and will be handled as such. If needed, the pages can even be 'locked' so that only non-vandals are allowed to edit on it.

Conversely, any time you come across a wiki article using the incorrect version you should change it....or let us know so we can. By example, although the main pages are now correct, sub-pages like articles about Hudspeth or the NOLA bowls, may not be.

Regardless of what your opinion of Wikipedia is the fact is they are a HUGE presence on the internet and how many folks first get info on us. Major kudos to AirBill for getting this done.

Appreciate your efforts. I've tried to edit that thing about half a dozen times over the years even though it felt like someone was a minute behind me in changing it back. I eventually gave up.

Success!

Our fan base is sure dedicated if nothing else .. nice work everyone

What a nice present for the New Year! Well done!

Success!

That is fantastic, good work.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

AirBill, I tip my hat. And to you others that fought the fight before, during and after. As others have pointed out, regardless of what you think of Wiki, it is a source of many seeking fast info. And we need to manage our own information. Someone intimated prior that UL is understaffed to keep on top of this. Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Blog Entries

Success!

You were persistent and handled yourself well, congratulations on getting it done!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Appreciate your efforts. I've tried to edit that thing about half a dozen times over the years even though it felt like someone was a minute behind me in changing it back. I eventually gave up.
    I too am appreciative of AirBill's efforts to get the site corrected. Also embracing the thought of how much irritation & frustration those who were reverting previous edits must now be feeling

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Our fan base is sure dedicated if nothing else .. nice work everyone
    Boom! Good job. Persistence pays off.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast