_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wiki pages

Default Re: Wiki pages

I've done the same. Trying a different tack today. I've emailed an editor who has updated the page, who appears to be from out of the state and presumably has no dog in this fight. Sent him links to the ESPN, CBS and NBC pages, and to the Sun Belt site; all of which refer to us as Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. That should be enough to satisfy their page nazis, who've hammered me with the WP:COMMONNAME excuse. Also going to update all of our references, then watch and try to keep on top of any further vandalism.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    I've done the same. Trying a different tack today. I've emailed an editor who has updated the page, who appears to be from out of the state and presumably has no dog in this fight. Sent him links to the ESPN, CBS and NBC pages, and to the Sun Belt site; all of which refer to us as Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns. That should be enough to satisfy their page nazis, who've hammered me with the WP:COMMONNAME excuse. Also going to update all of our references, then watch and try to keep on top of any further vandalism.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisi...27s_basketball

Check out this abomination. Wrong names. Only information about NCAA violations. A homemade UL Lafayette Logo.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisi...27s_basketball

Check out this abomination. Wrong names. Only information about NCAA violations. A homemade UL Lafayette Logo.
    The revision history is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php...action=history

I tried to change it also a while back and nothing was changed after I submitted it

Check your PM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRanchMan View Post
    This thread should be saved and used as a study case about delusion. I am sure someone will mention how everyone needs to be using "our real name" like ESPN does. In case you have been living under a rock, ESPN is run by liberals. The mentality(Liberal) that subscribe to "everyone gets a trophy" and believe being "transgender" is normal if it makes you feel better about yourself.
    WTF u talking about Spanky

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by randomprecision View Post
    Fair enough, but really here out of curiosity of your next coaching hire. Now that is important and really does matter. Something about even the enemy following what the enemy is doing, lol.
    Thank you sir for visiting our site and I am sure you agree the Wiki stuff is petty. However, something occurred last night which causes our fans to be irritated over this issue at times. At the basketball game, your score board once referred to us as ULM. Now that may simply have been an oversight and perhaps we should let it go at that. However we were called the most important name there is at the end of the night "WINNER".

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Thank you sir for visiting our site and I am sure you agree the Wiki stuff is petty. However, something occurred last night which causes our fans to be irritated over this issue at times. At the basketball game, your score board once referred to us as ULM. Now that may simply have been an oversight and perhaps we should let it go at that. However we were called the most important name there is at the end of the night "WINNER".

You're right. That's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    ULM? From what I understand, the necksters are afraid of playing ULM.

I spoke with a moderator today. Here's my email:

About a year ago, you retracted several edits I made to the athletics page of the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. You restored the name to Louisiana-Lafayette, saying that it was the school's "common name." In order to better understand why you made these edits, I would like to call your attention to the following:

- The University of Nevada at Reno has self-branded as the Nevada Wolf Pack. Despite it not being the school's "common name," that branding has been allowed to stand by Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevada_Wolf_Pack

- Several media outlets, along with the Sun Belt Conference, recognize UL's branding:
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...a-ragin-cajuns
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...e-ragin-cajuns
    http://scores.nbcsports.com/cfb/team...eport=teamhome
    http://sunbeltsports.org/schedule.aspx?schedule=663

Since the name is becoming more accepted, in a manner similar to Nevada-Reno, wouldn't it be fair for Wikipedia to accept it as well? If not, if you feel that there is a difference between the schools, what is the defining metric? Is it merely editors' preferences?

Thank you for your help.

Here's what he had to say:

On Wikipedia, we go by the common name, as mentioned. Users over that past several years have long discussions on this topic as seen on the article's talk page. At the time of those discussions, there were not enough national sources (i.e. ESPN, CBS Sports) using the school's preferred branding name. However, in September of this year, several of the users from previous discussions have noticed that we are nearing a time for a name change, but wait so that there will be more sources available and hopefully enough to obtain a consensus. The University of Nevada Reno isn't "Nevada-Reno Wolf Pack" because there are enough news outlets (national and locally) to establish "Nevada Wolf Pack" as the common name.

All in all, it comes down to what the media (sources) says. If we have enough to establish a consensus, we use that name. You are always more than welcome to submit a "Requested Move" on the main article's talk page where you will show various media outlets - both nationally, state, and locally - and mention that this goes for all related articles, categories, logos, etc. I am sure that there will be enough support to move the article titles. For the time being, I request that you don't change the name to "Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns" in the article as you are going against consensus, which is a violation of Wikipedia guidelines.

Hope that helps!
    With that knowledge, I've created a page move request to change the reference to Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. Here's a link if anyone wants to look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:L..._December_2017

There is a seven day discussion period. Hopefully, the references I provided will be more than enough to satisfy the mods' concerns. Which seem to be valid. None of the ones I've come across seem to be from the LSU/Tech/ULM crowd.

Nice job! Thanks!!!

AirBill

Thanks for your efforts on this.

Check your PM please.

I sent you a link.

Deep in the Ouachita Mountains Hot Springs Village, Ark

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Wiki pages

This thread should be saved and used as a study case about delusion. I am sure someone will mention how everyone needs to be using "our real name" like ESPN does. In case you have been living under a rock, ESPN is run by liberals. The mentality(Liberal) that subscribe to "everyone gets a trophy" and believe being "transgender" is normal if it makes you feel better about yourself.
    riverman, did you forget to take your meds again? mother will not be happy with you.

Jesus Christ, man. Are you worried about those libruhlz forcing you to listen to NPR instead of FNC in the morning, making you drink herbal tea instead of coffee, and seizing your pickup truck to make you drive a Prius? Do you go through your entire day blaming everything under the sun on libruhlz?

Get a damned grip.

With that knowledge, I've created a page move request to change the reference to Louisiana Ragin Cajuns. Here's a link if anyone wants to look:

There is a seven day discussion period. Hopefully, the references I provided will be more than enough to satisfy the mods' concerns. Which seem to be valid. None of the ones I've come across seem to be from the LSU/Tech/ULM crowd.
    Just read the 'opposing' statement and your response. Brilliant. You are my new hero.

And this is why it is important that we note all proper references to us: the more examples we have, the more likely that they will acquiesce to what is right.

I also added this nugget from a mod, back in 2015:

"If major independent media outlets, to include the Ragin' Cajuns own conference, start calling the school Louisiana, I and most others will change our position."
    It really shouldn't even be an issue by now.

Jesus Christ, man. Are you worried about those libruhlz forcing you to listen to NPR instead of FNC in the morning, making you drink herbal tea instead of coffee, and seizing your pickup truck to make you drive a Prius? Do you go through your entire day blaming everything under the sun on libruhlz?

Get a damned grip.
    He's an idiot.

Great work AirBill with the Wiki stuff.

Fantastic work AirBill!

Still think the school should be on top of this....but thank goodness for dedicated fans!

There are some demonstrably disingenuous responses there. If only Maggard weren't in the hiring process right now!

AirBill took care of it already.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast