Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

Default Re: It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I think the biggest issue is that we have way too damn many parks. Most of our parks are in terrible shape because we can't afford to keep them up. As the article says we've continued to build new parks and golf courses but haven't increased taxes to keep up with it. We need to focus on quality over quantity. For example, why are we paying to keep up Chargois Park on Guilbeau, which rarely gets used, when Thomas Park and Chargois Park are both 5 minutes away? And all three of them are in bad shape.

I'd like us to do what the state did with its interstate rest areas and welcome centers. It cut the number of them in half and used the savings to improve the rest of them. So instead of a bunch of run down rest areas we have nice new buildings and well-maintained grounds.

But with that said, I'm fine with them increasing fees if that's what they need to do to balance the books. I don't think it is right to force taxpayers to subsidize other people's golf outings.
    Agree on the first two points. But here's the deal: Are we not raising taxes for the parks, or are we wasting money on other fronts that could easily pay for our parks upkeep?

As far as the "taxpayers subsidizing golf outings".. They are public recreational areas. Just like Girard Park. If you don't want to "subsidize golf outings", don't build public golf courses. It's kinda the point.

Default Re: It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    It already closed but that has more to do with greedy owners ...They paid 1 mill for it and now trying to sell it for 1.8 someone offered 1.2 mill and they turned it down
    The problem is peedoo doesn't need the money and they can sit on it for a while...However there has been crews there mowing and they did dye the greens a few weeks ago...Someone mention that a investors was wanting to buy the land for a subdivision but they would have to spend a ton of money on dirt as it floods every time it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    ???

If green fees go up in more than they already are, you may as well shut down 2/3 public courses in Lafayette. I think we're up to $72 a round w/ cart at the Wetlands? An average public track? That's absolutely insane! I can play a blue blood track in Augusta for half that price, ON THE WEEKEND.

Also, what about this whole "grow the game" initiative? How the hell are you going to Grow the game when a father and son have to pay $150 just to get a tee time because Parks & Rec can't figure this thing out?

We have major issue in leadership when it comes to public recreation.
    I have done a lot of golf course real estate appraisal work in the past 20 years. Participation rate is flat and has been for years. Golf ain't cheap and never will be, if run like a business.

You will never introduce new players that way. Not to mention, Muni is poorly run. You want to play a 6 hour round? Go walk muni and get stuck behind Dude and His girl, a family of 5, and a group of the usuals that numbers about 8. Theoretically, there are options, but my point still stands. The only course around here worth playing repeatedly is The Wetlands. Pace of play is a problem already, cost to play is ridiculous.
    All reasons why as many quit, as start to play the game....every freaking year.

Blog Entries

A 9 hole course is (was) the idea. The rest of the property would be utilized for practice par 3s, chipping, sand, and putting area.. Swing Bays (2) with Trackman and opportunity for private lessons. And of course, a lot more on the details.. I spent a good bit of time writing the proposal, but these cats selling are delusional..

Also thought about approaching the Delahoussaye's (who own the land for the old Acadian Hills) but that land has gone up so much in value, it'd be stupid to even attempt a facility there.
    Cool concept.

Two 9-hole courses could generate more than one 18.

I know in Nebraska I would play the 9-hole back to back to back and sometimes pretend it was an 18-hole by playing it twice with friends.

The one I played at extensively is now called the Jim Ager Memorial Junior Golf Course. When I was a kid it was just Junior Golf course. Even then, they everyone play a quickie.

www.lincolncitygolf.org/ager/

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Cool concept.

Two 9-hole courses could generate more than one 18.

I know in Nebraska I would play the 9-hole back to back to back and sometimes pretend it was an 18-hole by playing it twice with friends.

The one I played at extensively is now called the Jim Ager Memorial Junior Golf Course. When I was a kid it was just Junior Golf course. Even then, they everyone play a quickie.

www.lincolncitygolf.org/ager/
    I'll check it out

Agree on the first two points. But here's the deal: Are we not raising taxes for the parks, or are we wasting money on other fronts that could easily pay for our parks upkeep?

As far as the "taxpayers subsidizing golf outings".. They are public recreational areas. Just like Girard Park. If you don't want to "subsidize golf outings", don't build public golf courses. It's kinda the point.
    Well, maybe or maybe not. I haven't combed through the LCG budget. But even so, nearly all of the money LCG works with is dedicated funds. If you think Lafayette PD is spending $500,000 too much you can't just take $500,000 out of their budget and add it to Parks and Rec. You have to put it on a ballot and let the citizens vote on a millage rededication.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, but when I play at muni I don't think it is right to force the people who sit out and watch me from their front porch to help pay for my round. I really don't like when tax money gets funneled from the poor to benefit the rich. People who have the means to fund their hobbies shouldn't have their hobbies subsidized by the government.

Well, maybe or maybe not. I haven't combed through the LCG budget. But even so, nearly all of the money LCG works with is dedicated funds. If you think Lafayette PD is spending $500,000 too much money you can't just take $500,000 out of their budget and add it to Parks and Rec. You have to put it on a ballot and let the citizens vote on a millage rededication.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree, but when I play at muni I don't think it is right to force the people who sit out and watch me from their front porch to help pay for my round. I really don't like when tax money gets funneled from the poor to benefit the rich. People who have the means to fund their hobbies shouldn't have their hobbies subsidized by the government.
    By that theory, no public park should be free to the public.
    Also, no one is telling these people they can't play golf. It's their choice.
    The bottom line is, the golf course makes money for the city.
    How much money is Thomas Park making for the city of Lafayette?

By that theory, no public park should be free to the public.
    Also, no one is telling these people they can't play golf. It's their choice.
    The bottom line is, the golf course makes money for the city.
    How much money is Thomas Park making for the city of Lafayette?
    Well if our golf courses are actually turning a profit then they aren't actually being subsidized, so there goes my objection.

Depending on the park or activity I actually do want people to pay for it. I'm not saying we should charge someone $5/lap to run at Girard Park, but for things like golf, tennis, camping, etc. —yeah they should pay. Consumption taxes are ideal. The people who actually use the facilities will pay more of the costs, and the people who don't use them pay less.

???

If green fees go up in more than they already are, you may as well shut down 2/3 public courses in Lafayette. I think we're up to $72 a round w/ cart at the Wetlands? An average public track? That's absolutely insane! I can play a blue blood track in Augusta for half that price, ON THE WEEKEND.

Also, what about this whole "grow the game" initiative? How the hell are you going to Grow the game when a father and son have to pay $150 just to get a tee time because Parks & Rec can't figure this thing out?

We have major issue in leadership when it comes to public recreation.
    Preach

Well if our golf courses are actually turning a profit then they aren't actually being subsidized, so there goes my objection.

Depending on the park or activity I actually do want people to pay for it. I'm not saying we should charge someone $5/lap to run at Girard Park, but for things like golf, tennis, camping, etc. —yeah they should pay. Consumption taxes are ideal. The people who actually use the facilities will pay more of the costs, and the people who don't use them pay less.
    You say some weird stuff dawg...

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I used it when I was still in, but they are trying to do away with that privilege too Z.

Point still stands for the majority of the public.
    Military discounts are going by the wayside. I make purchases at several stores that excepted veteran discounts. But my last purchase was denied. I asked why and they said the veteran administration gave them different proofs that would be accepted. I show two different cards, one my discharge and one my service record card along with veteran on my drivers license, all military ID's all to no avail. At home depot I told them that I have been using these identifications for several years now but they would not except them.....12 years regular navy and 8 reserve....how much more is required?

The fees paid at the three golf courses by users have been going down (probably a sign of the economy in Lafayette). The courses used to get close to $3,000,000/year in green fees, cart fees, etc. But those fees are down to about $2,200,000. Back in 2013 and 2014, the golf courses turned a profit for LCG. Now, they are costing LCG about $600,000.

No taxes are used to support the golf courses. LCG does transfer funds to the fund used to account for golf course financial activity to support any shortfall.

I do agree with CajunRebel. There are too many parks in the parish and not enough funding for them. Lafayette citizens have shown recently they are opposed to any new tax, so either a re-dedication needs to happen to fund parks and recreation to a higher level or the city should consider selling parks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    The fees paid at the three golf courses by users have been going down (probably a sign of the economy in Lafayette). The courses used to get close to $3,000,000/year in green fees, cart fees, etc. But those fees are down to about $2,200,000. Back in 2013 and 2014, the golf courses turned a profit for LCG. Now, they are costing LCG about $600,000.

No taxes are used to support the golf courses. LCG does transfer funds to the fund used to account for golf course financial activity to support any shortfall.

I do agree with CajunRebel. There are too many parks in the parish and not enough funding for them. Lafayette citizens have shown recently they are opposed to any new tax, so either a re-dedication needs to happen to fund parks and recreation to a higher level or the city should consider selling parks.
    Good Post.
    I bet people stopped going when green fees went through the roof...

Good Post.
    Participation slowed here, like everywhere else. Tiger spiked participation in the early 2000's, dropping off as he faded from view. The oil crash didn't help, either.

Good Post.
    Yep...Hell, I'll call buddies who are members at Oakbourne and spend $20-25 more than Wetlands as a guest to play a fine track...

I wonder how much that tract of land is that is vieux chenes? If money dries up for golf, I bet you could take that asset off the books for lcg on the cheap, either keep it a course or sit on it and make a fortune later on developing it

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    I wonder how much that tract of land is that is vieux chenes? If money dries up for golf, I bet you could take that asset off the books for lcg on the cheap, either keep it a course or sit on it and make a fortune later on developing it
    I bet within 7 years, it's a shopping center.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Participation slowed here, like everywhere else. Tiger spiked participation in the early 2000's, dropping off as he faded from view. The oil crash didn't help, either.
    This.

Word in the development business here in Texas is that you aren't going to see another golf course community built around here for a long time, if ever. None of the new master planned communities under construction or on the drawing board that I've seen have a course when they used to be somewhat common.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2