Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

Default It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

Residents will pay more to rent Lafayette parks and rec gyms and fields and will pay more to golf if proposed changes are approved.

Default Re: It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

No problem, run it like a business.

Default Re: It soon may cost more to play golf, use gyms, athletic fields in Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    No problem, run it like a business.
    ???

If green fees go up in more than they already are, you may as well shut down 2/3 public courses in Lafayette. I think we're up to $72 a round w/ cart at the Wetlands? An average public track? That's absolutely insane! I can play a blue blood track in Augusta for half that price, ON THE WEEKEND.

Also, what about this whole "grow the game" initiative? How the hell are you going to Grow the game when a father and son have to pay $150 just to get a tee time because Parks & Rec can't figure this thing out?

We have major issue in leadership when it comes to public recreation.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    ???

If green fees go up in more than they already are, you may as well shut down 2/3 public courses in Lafayette. I think we're up to $72 a round w/ cart at the Wetlands? An average public track? That's absolutely insane! I can play a blue blood track in Augusta for half that price, ON THE WEEKEND.

Also, what about this whole "grow the game" initiative? How the hell are you going to Grow the game when a father and son have to pay $150 just to get a tee time because Parks & Rec can't figure this thing out?

Free with military ID.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Free with military ID.
    I used it when I was still in, but they are trying to do away with that privilege too Z.

Point still stands for the majority of the public.

???

Walk and go play Muni. $24 whether its weekend or weekday. Can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Walk and go play Muni. $24 whether its weekend or weekday. Can't beat it.
    You will never introduce new players that way. Not to mention, Muni is poorly run. You want to play a 6 hour round? Go walk muni and get stuck behind Dude and His girl, a family of 5, and a group of the usuals that numbers about 8. Theoretically, there are options, but my point still stands. The only course around here worth playing repeatedly is The Wetlands. Pace of play is a problem already, cost to play is ridiculous.

You will never introduce new players that way. Not to mention, Muni is poorly run. You want to play a 6 hour round? Go walk muni and get stuck behind Dude and His girl, a family of 5, and a group of the usuals that numbers about 8. Theoretically, there are options, but my point still stands. The only course around here worth playing repeatedly is The Wetlands. Pace of play is a problem already, cost to play is ridiculous.
    I gave up my LT membership. Was tired of paying $500+ per month. I now go to Muni and walk in under 3 hours. Its not as bad as you think. Even on days I get stuck behind someone, I can usually play through or suffer and play in 3 hours 20 minutes. I typically can walk 27 in less than 4 hours. The greens are the best of any public course in the area IMO. Just saying. I'm not arguing its poorly run but it gets less play than View Chenes or Wetlands so that's why I hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I gave up my LT membership. Was tired of paying $500+ per month. I now go to Muni and walk in under 3 hours. Its not as bad as you think. Even on days I get stuck behind someone, I can usually play through or suffer and play in 3 hours 20 minutes. I typically can walk 27 in less than 4 hours. The greens are the best of any public course in the area IMO. Just saying. I'm not arguing its poorly run but it gets less play than View Chenes or Wetlands so that's why I hit it.
    Well, the last time I went to Muni, (and this is now BS) I witnessed a drive by shooting at the apartment complex across Louisiana Ave. I was with my son. I have not been back since.

Anyway, if you're a guy (not you, general) that doesn't take the game seriously, just look at it as something to do while you're drinking and BSing with the fellas.. sure, Muni. But if you really want to improve your game, play competitive golf within the city and have a place to practice, Muni can't do any of that. As far as Vieux... lol.. Vieux makes Muni look like The Masters from a course management and pace of play perspective.

???

Agree on all points you made...but appears they're only looking at charging more for the annual pass/membership...which shouldn't be a huge deal IMO.

???

I will take my business to Crowley or New Ibera no public course is worth over $45

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Agree on all points you made...but appears they're only looking at charging more for the annual pass/membership...which shouldn't be a huge deal IMO.
    I saw that.. But you know how it goes, first the annual pass then the green fees will start going up.. I can go to Oak Wing for $40, Atchafalaya for $50, which are far superior golf courses... In smaller towns.. And they operate on about 40% of our budget...

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I will take my business to Crowley or New Ibera no public course is worth over $45
    Last year, played Forest Hill in Augusta TWICE for $80 bucks total.. With a ride

Last year, played Forest Hill in Augusta TWICE for $80 bucks total.. With a ride
    Crazy heck I played Cypress Bend for $35 with cart .. Veaux & wetlands is a trash pile compared to that course

Blog Entries

Meanwhile ... Abbeville golf coarse is closing down.

Looking for a buyer ... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

It already closed but that has more to do with greedy owners ...They paid 1 mill for it and now trying to sell it for 1.8 someone offered 1.2 mill and they turned it down

Seriously discussed picking it up with a few guys and turning it into a children's golfing facility. Family friendly all the way around. Training for kids of all ages and partnering with The First Tee for guidance and exposure. But these guys are out of their minds at $1.8 mil. In order to get any return on investment, you'd have to get the property for well under $1 mil.

Still think the kid and family golf facility would be excellent for this community and the game overall.

Blog Entries

Seriously discussed picking it up with a few guys and turning it into a children's golfing facility. Family friendly all the way around. Training for kids of all ages and partnering with The First Tee for guidance and exposure. But these guys are out of their minds at $1.8 mil. In order to get any return on investment, you'd have to get the property for well under $1 mil.

Still think the kid and family golf facility would be excellent for this community and the game overall.
    Growing up in Abbeville in the 1960's I had no idea public golf courses existed.

I discovered golf at a children's golfing facility in Lincoln Nebraska.

9 holes.

I would play every summer up there as a teenager but come home believing (not asking) that playing golf here was unattainable.

I think children's golfing facility would be a great idea. As a children's golfing facility it might generate more revenue if it were two 9-hole courses.

jmo

Growing up in Abbeville in the 1960's I had no idea public golf courses existed.

I discovered golf at a children's golfing facility in Lincoln Nebraska.

9 holes.

I would play every summer up there as a teenager but come home believing (not asking) that playing golf here was unattainable.

I think children's golfing facility would be a great idea. As a children's golfing facility it might generate more revenue if it were two 9-hole courses.

jmo
    A 9 hole course is (was) the idea. The rest of the property would be utilized for practice par 3s, chipping, sand, and putting area.. Swing Bays (2) with Trackman and opportunity for private lessons. And of course, a lot more on the details.. I spent a good bit of time writing the proposal, but these cats selling are delusional..

Also thought about approaching the Delahoussaye's (who own the land for the old Acadian Hills) but that land has gone up so much in value, it'd be stupid to even attempt a facility there.

I think the biggest issue is that we have way too damn many parks. Most of our parks are in terrible shape because we can't afford to keep them up. As the article says we've continued to build new parks and golf courses but haven't increased taxes to keep up with it. We need to focus on quality over quantity. For example, why are we paying to keep up Chargois Park on Guilbeau, which rarely gets used, when Thomas Park and Chargois Park are both 5 minutes away? And all three of them are in bad shape.

I'd like us to do what the state did with its interstate rest areas and welcome centers. It cut the number of them in half and used the savings to improve the rest of them. So instead of a bunch of run down rest areas we have nice new buildings and well-maintained grounds.

But with that said, I'm fine with them increasing fees if that's what they need to do to balance the books. I don't think it is right to force taxpayers to subsidize other people's golf outings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast