Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hired to be fired.

Default Re: Hired to be fired.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We also hadn't been to a bowl in 40 years. And that changed 7 years ago... 5 times... because we made commitments to football that made it happen. I don't think being fixated on this "coaching graveyard" BS is much different. And I actually think it's a stupid comment. The real end.
    We made a bowl for the first time in 40 years because the opportunities changed. If all of our coaches in the last 40 years had the same opportunities, with the numbers of bowls there are today, everyone of them would have made multiple bowls. Auggie, Sam and Nelson could have had the exact records that hud had and would have gone no where and that is the difference. Hud didn't necessarily pull us out of the drought as much as the change in opportunity did.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    We made a bowl for the first time in 40 years because the opportunities changed. If all of our coaches in the last 40 years had the same opportunities, with the numbers of bowls there are today, everyone of them would have made multiple bowls. Auggie, Sam and Nelson could have had the exact records that hud had and would have gone no where and that is the difference. Hud didn't necessarily pull us out of the drought as much as the change in opportunity did.
    This I get so tired of hearing HUD got us to the first bowl in 40 years. Yes he did but he also had a much easier playing field.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

We also had Dr. A for 34 years. He would have never brought in an Alden to study and make recommendations for athletic department improvement. A lot has changed from the decades of neglect and indifference. There's absolutely nothing that locks UL down to a "coaching graveyard".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    This I get so tired of hearing HUD got us to the first bowl in 40 years. Yes he did but he also had a much easier playing field.
    The argument is that UL is a coaching graveyard. My use of Hud's bowl accomplishments was only to point out that Hud was on the verge of changing that history. No one we've ever had coach here had the national attention Hud was getting. Had we kept a "USL salary" for him, he would have been lifted to a better program. We have seriously increased our coaching salary... and that will attract a different breed of coach. To say that UL has no chance of being a good enough program to showcase a coach bigger schools will want... is just stupid.

The argument is that UL is a coaching graveyard. My use of Hud's bowl accomplishments was only to point out that Hud was on the verge of changing that history. No one we've ever had coach here had the national attention Hud was getting. Had we kept a "USL salary" for him, he would have been lifted to a better program. We have seriously increased our coaching salary... and that will attract a different breed of coach. To say that UL has no chance of being a good enough program to showcase a coach bigger schools will want... is just stupid.
    Is just stupid" tell them to prove. Again I hope you are right I just have to see it to believe it. And for the record only nibble hud had at another job is Tulane of CUSA at the time. I consider that a lateral move.

We also had Dr. A for 34 years. He would have never brought in an Alden to study and make recommendations for athletic department improvement. A lot has changed from the decades of neglect and indifference. There's absolutely nothing that locks UL down to a "coaching graveyard".
    You are correct in most statements except, there is something that locks UL down to a coaching graveyard, and that is every coach we've ever had here has had his career die. Now that's a lock. Hud had had the easiest schedule of any coach. What stokley did while hand cuffed by doc O was the best coaching job this school has ever seen bar none. You give stokley huds resources and you probably got the next Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I would like to thank Dr. Maggard and Dr. Savoie for doing what needed to be done to restore credibility to our football program. Thanks to Coach Hudspeth for the success he had during his early tenure here and best of luck to him and his family wherever he goes from here.

For all of us Cajun fans, whenever Dr. Maggard announces who our new head Coach will be, I am confident that everyone will all be just as excited as we were when Coach Hudspeth was hired (and rightly so). We just need to remember that the day after that individual is hired, he will be one day closer to the day he will be fired by UL or leave for another program! No Coach gets a free pass for life (Bobby Bowden). That is simply the nature of the coaching profession and it is the lifestyle that those men choose to live.

Hopefully, UL's Coach will choose to leave at some point due to unprecedented success rather than forcing the Administration to fire him!
    Nice post.

Looking forward to new coach. We will learn very fast how well Hud recruited. Bustle left some good players and HUD capatilazied on that. New coach, we will see.

Blog Entries

You are correct in most statements except, there is something that locks UL down to a coaching graveyard, and that is every coach we've ever had here has had his career die. Now that's a lock. Hud had had the easiest schedule of any coach. What stokley did while hand cuffed by doc O was the best coaching job this school has ever seen bar none. You give stokley huds resources and you probably got the next Boise
    Stokley was the best coach we ever had. I'm not arguing with you on that. You are saying that we are (currently) a coaching graveyard. You said any good coach would be a fool to come here. The past is not a fixed indicator of our future. The RCAF alone has made a step change in our athletics that disconnects us from our past. Do you really think Dr. Savoie and Dr. Maggard interviewing the next head football coach is equivalent to what we did in coaching hires in the past? These men just fired a coach that we owe $1.5 million... voluntarily. That alone buries the past.

Do you really think Dr. Savoie and Dr. Maggard interviewing the next head football coach is equivalent to what we did in coaching hires in the past? These men just fired a coach that we owe $1.5 million... voluntarily. That alone buries the past.
    +100

Do you really think Dr. Savoie and Dr. Maggard interviewing the next head football coach is equivalent to what we did in coaching hires in the past? These men just fired a coach that we owe $1.5 million... voluntarily. That alone buries the past.
    A coach that took us to 5 bowl games in 7 seasons. These guys ain't playing around.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hud had at least a lateral move. We just loved him too much.

"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

Bum Phillips

I would like to red dot this whole thread.

For any potential coaches reading this thread just remember that most fans here believe in life after death.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

The only reason we aren't in the AAC right now is Dr A.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    The only reason we aren't in the AAC right now is Dr A.
    I agree with what Jay Walker said on his show Monday. Maggard was brought in to elevate the athletic department to the big time along with better conference affiliation.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    I would like to red dot this whole thread.

For any potential coaches reading this thread just remember that most fans here believe in life after death.
    You must be 1 of the usual suspects on the sideline for every game...don't worry...you'll get your pass...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2