Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hired to be fired.

Default Hired to be fired.

I would like to thank Dr. Maggard and Dr. Savoie for doing what needed to be done to restore credibility to our football program. Thanks to Coach Hudspeth for the success he had during his early tenure here and best of luck to him and his family wherever he goes from here.

For all of us Cajun fans, whenever Dr. Maggard announces who our new head Coach will be, I am confident that everyone will all be just as excited as we were when Coach Hudspeth was hired (and rightly so). We just need to remember that the day after that individual is hired, he will be one day closer to the day he will be fired by UL or leave for another program! No Coach gets a free pass for life (Bobby Bowden). That is simply the nature of the coaching profession and it is the lifestyle that those men choose to live.

Hopefully, UL's Coach will choose to leave at some point due to unprecedented success rather than forcing the Administration to fire him!

Default Re: Hired to be fired.

I certainly hope the new hire will have a much greater WOW factor than when we hired Coach Hud. Nothing against Hud here, just that he was not a known coach to many. He was a "look up on google" hire to start, but he was the right guy to get things turned around and he did that about as well as we could have imagined.

This hire needs to be a "name" to really have the impact we need at this point in time. Wouldn't it be nice if the average college football fan in America has reason to bring up the Ragin Cajun's new football coach. I don't think this is asking too much. The ingredients for a successful program are still in place and this time we have a professional AD making this hire. Geaux Cajuns!

Rick,

When I said fans were excited when Hud was hired, I think it was because (like now) we were desperate for a change, any change. I agree with you that I hope this time we get a little more of a "NAME" to get excited about.

Just hire the right coach...the excitement of the "name" will last until that "name" drops his first stinker. If the right coach is also a name then so be it. All great coaches at some point were nobody anyone had ever heard of.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Win win win.....period

A "name" coach will have been successful, so a very good chance he will WIN and the "name" will have direct impact on recruiting. A no-name, could be successful winning games, but won't have an immediate impact on recruiting.

I'm greedy. I want to see a positive impact on recruiting immediately, not after a no-name starts winning.

I hope that the success the next coach has will translate to a "name coach." PERIOD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    A "name" coach will have been successful, so a very good chance he will WIN and the "name" will have direct impact on recruiting. A no-name, could be successful winning games, but won't have an immediate impact on recruiting.

I'm greedy. I want to see a positive impact on recruiting immediately, not after a no-name starts winning.
    Unemployed winners deserve double scrutiny.

And if they pass the BBQ sauce, Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Duggie35, I like your OP... but I'm not a big fan of the threat title. I don't think we hire a coach with firing in mind. I think we hire them to be successful. If they're too successful for our pay and place in college football... we'll lose them the good way. But our goal, no matter what, is for them to bring success and sustain it.

As for hiring someone with "a name"... that's conditional. In college coaching circles, I can assure you the person we hire will be a known coach. I seriously doubt, however, if our fan base won't require the use of Google.

We are set up for someone with a more significant background than Hud. Hud created his notoriety with us. I expect we'll hire an FCS head coach of grand FCS notoriety... or we will choose a P5 coordinator with notoriety. But unless you follow FCS programs and/or know the majority of coordinators at P5 programs... I seriously doubt the name will be a universal household name.

If we set the expectation that our fans will know the name... we've all apparently either decided some famous coach's or AD's son is worthy of our consideration... or we've decided that only the top P5 coordinators are our targets. And we aren't getting a top P5 coordinator... unless he's on the outs for some reason.

Blog Entries

A "name" coach that we can afford will have been a successful coordinator. We're a "are you ready for a head coaching position Mr. successful coordinator" school... or we are a "are you ready for a step up in head coaching position Mr. successful FCS HC" school. I just don't see the plethora of options for "names" out there... unless we want to take a chance on a retreaded, rehab'd, refurbished, repentant "used to be a name" coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Duggie35, I like your OP... but I'm not a big fan of the threat title. I don't think we hire a coach with firing in mind. I think we hire them to be successful. If they're too successful for our pay and place in college football... we'll lose them the good way. But our goal, no matter what, is for them to bring success and sustain it.
    I totally agree that UL and every other school never hires with firing in mind.However, the nature of the job turns out that way eventually in the vast majority of cases. See Kevin Sumlin at ATM, Belima at Arkansas, Jones at Tennessee, Miles at LSU, Richt at Georgia, Hudspeth at UL just to name a very, very few. Few Coaches have the ability to grow roots in one place for an extended period of time. That is sad, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I totally agree that UL and every other school never hires with firing in mind.However, the nature of the job turns out that way eventually in the vast majority of cases. See Kevin Sumlin at ATM, Belima at Arkansas, Jones at Tennessee, Miles at LSU, Richt at Georgia, Hudspeth at UL just to name a very, very few. Few Coaches have the ability to grow roots in one place for an extended period of time. That is sad, but it is what it is.
    If I made the money they made, it wouldn't matter. If you are smart with your money, especially if making HC money, there should be no worries

Our next coach will be fired one day that is a given because nothing will last for ever and coaches don't get better jobs from here. They come here for there careers to die. The guy who takes this job will be accepting his coaching career death.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Our next coach will be fired one day that is a given because nothing will last for ever and coaches don't get better jobs from here. They come here for there careers to die. The guy who takes this job will be accepting his coaching career death.
    I really hope our next coach doesnt get fired. I hope he leaves on his own accord for greener pastures

Blog Entries

If Hud hadn't screwed up, he would have been hired away from here. That was not on us. That was on him. Are you stuck in a time warp? If you don't think we made a monumental step change strictly by paying what we pay for a head football coach... you are definitely stuck in the past.

This hire needs to be a "name" to really have the impact we need at this point in time. Wouldn't it be nice if the average college football fan in America has reason to bring up the Ragin Cajun's new football coach.
    Yes, it would be nice. It would also be nice if they were so amazed by the hire that they decided to visit here for their first time ever and weren't met by that stupid virus warning. Is there not anything that can be done about this?

I visit another website that has nothing to do with athletics and one day their site had the same warning. Within a day their staff had figured out the problem and fixed it.....don't recall the exact problem because I'm no computer guru, but I think it had something to do with failing to pay some small fee.

Anyway, someone here has to have the computer know-how to resolve this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    If Hud hadn't screwed up, he would have been hired away from here. That was not on us. That was on him. Are you stuck in a time warp? If you don't think we made a monumental step change strictly by paying what we pay for a head football coach... you are definitely stuck in the past.
    I am not stuck in the past I just want to see proof this is not a graveyard for head football coaches. Once that streak is broken I will be the happiest fan this school has. Until someone does it then it is what it is. The end.

Is your second job being a turd in the punchbowl?

Blog Entries

I am not stuck in the past I just want to see proof this is not a graveyard for head football coaches. Once that streak is broken I will be the happiest fan this school has. Until someone does it then it is what it is. The end.
    We also hadn't been to a bowl in 40 years. And that changed 7 years ago... 5 times... because we made commitments to football that made it happen. I don't think being fixated on this "coaching graveyard" BS is much different. And I actually think it's a stupid comment. The real end.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Is your second job being a turd in the punchbowl?
    Do not get me wrong I hope and am pulling for our next coach to get a P5 job. I just will have to see it to believe it. History won't be on his side, as this has been a coaches graveyard. I hoped the same for hud and early on thought he'd be the one but history caught up to him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast