_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

And to those who say today that basketball in the South just doesn't matter to fans, I believe you fail to understand just how popular the sport can be........a team just needs to play at the next level, that's all. Not easy, but that's the key. That next level. Get there and Cajun fans would come out of the woodworks.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Do you remember the Bayou Classic when USL played Long Beach State at Blackham, Lamar vs. Ratliff; Shipley vs. Tarkanian? USL won. I remember Sports Illustrated there covering the game and the tournament. It was a big thing back then. USL also shared the cover of Sports Illustrated. The article said that USL had the only big man, Roy Ebron, who could play with Bill Walton.
    I was there also. I'm not sure those days can ever be duplicated. I also still own copies of both those Sports Illustrated issues.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Do you remember the Bayou Classic when USL played Long Beach State at Blackham, Lamar vs. Ratliff; Shipley vs. Tarkanian? USL won. I remember Sports Illustrated there covering the game and the tournament. It was a big thing back then. USL also shared the cover of Sports Illustrated. The article said that USL had the only big man, Roy Ebron, who could play with Bill Walton.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaux View Post
    Cajuns just need to find the right dealer. One that can steer the ball. Dion might be able to guide him to the right spot
    FWIW, the mothership says down to Cal or AZ.

I often wonder where UL basketball would be today if we hadn't fought the NCAA and taken penalties back then instead of filing the injunction allowing us to play in the NCAA Tournament which led to the 2 year suspension of our program. We had High School All Americans on our team and were loaded.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Yes, but the university failure to embrace sports in a real meaningful way hurt more. Double whammy. Death penalty, and going into a shell.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Yes, but the university failure to embrace sports in a real meaningful way hurt more. Double whammy. Death penalty, and going into a shell.
    Dr. A killed athletics back then, so may not have mattered much.

I do not buy that "southern basketball is dead" narrative. Lafayette is desperate for something special. If the basketball team would win at a special clip, the town would be rabid.

It's also another example of why we CANT do something as opposed to setting the tone and being unique. We CAN do something special in basketball here.

Dr. A killed athletics back then, so may not have mattered much.
    He killed athletics because of the death penalty. Remember he came in with the expectation to "clean up" athletics. He was still doing it when he left.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    He killed athletics because of the death penalty. Remember he came in with the expectation to "clean up" athletics. He was still doing it when he left.
    The death penalty was instigated and abetted by the state board of higher education. Authemont came from the school of "athletics is a negative to your university and should be minimized at all costs".

I think there will be a big crowd Saturday. Word is spreading. My group will have 7. 5 of which have not been to a game in years.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I do not buy that "southern basketball is dead" narrative. Lafayette is desperate for something special. If the basketball team would win at a special clip, the town would be rabid.

It's also another example of why we CANT do something as opposed to setting the tone and being unique. We CAN do something special in basketball here.
    There is no statistical data to back up this statement.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm hoping we have 7500 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    There is no statistical data to back up this statement.
    Go back to Marlin's first year. We ended the season on an 11 game winning streak. Crowds built throughout the year and had over 8k for senior night against Denver. There most certainly was a buzz around Lafayette about Cajun basketball that year. The thing about that team is that we started out so bad. Completely opposite of this year. If this team can go on a similar streak Lafayette will support it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3