Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

  1. #21
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,824

    UL Basketball Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    There's always room for a super star. Absolutely if he calls Big Fish they say yes. Of course we only know if I'm right when he signs. If he chooses not to sign, the story is we didn't have a scholarship for him.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    In today's college environment do not be surprised if one of the existing players transfers due to playing time. I know of none, but it will happen, so you have to sign to your max potential.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Weren't Chris Snowden, Kelvin Price and Chris Manuel all in the same recruiting class? That was pretty strong, especially since there probably were others in the class as well.

    Also, the 2000 team had the following players, all as true freshman...Blaine Harmon, Orlando Butler, Lonnie Thomas, Jarret Evans, Billy Jones, Reggie Degray, Shea Whiting, Brett Smith and Robert Jupiter. That's 9 true freshman on the roster, most of which had solid-to-great careers here. May not have been big time recruits, but ended up being big time players


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Brown did not sign in the early signing date. I have heard he has three finalists and we are among those. Don't recall who the other two schools are. Therefore I would say our odds are 33 per cent.
    Note, I know no details of this situation. I will add that I have not heard coaches mention this guy's name once when I have interacted with them over the last several months. That is likely so as to keep this very close to the vest. Of course they are not allowed to speak publicly about unsigned guys. Of the guys signed, the one they mention most is Kobe Julien.
    We are in his final three along with UCLA and another school. Maybe St. John's? Dion lives in California and may want him to stick close to Home to watch him play. So probably comes down to whether he wants to watch his son a lot at UCLA or wants to watch him succeed at his alma mater.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,247

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Perhaps embracing the tradition of the program helped us sign Julien as his dad played with Andrew Toney in the late 70's. If we sign Brown, recognition of the past will almost certainly be a contributing factor due to his Dad (Dion Brown) being a great rebounder on the team from the early 80's.
    Of course we wouldn't be allowed to recruit for the University, but I wonder if Dion and son Jordan will be in town and at the game Saturday for reunion weekend...

  6. #26
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I find it telling that with 4 scholarships opening due to graduation the coaches already signed 4 players in the early signing period. I'm not saying that if Brown would decide to sign they wouldn't do whatever they could to make room for him but all circumstances just seem to point to it being a real long shot.
    We have one scholarship available. One of the scholarship players from last season is paying his own way.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We have one scholarship available. One of the scholarship players from last season is paying his own way.
    Thanks good to know.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Weren't Chris Snowden, Kelvin Price and Chris Manuel all in the same recruiting class? That was pretty strong, especially since there probably were others in the class as well.

    Also, the 2000 team had the following players, all as true freshman...Blaine Harmon, Orlando Butler, Lonnie Thomas, Jarret Evans, Billy Jones, Reggie Degray, Shea Whiting, Brett Smith and Robert Jupiter. That's 9 true freshman on the roster, most of which had solid-to-great careers here. May not have been big time recruits, but ended up being big time players
    The Manuel, Price, Snowden class also featured Reggie Poole.

    But you are way off on that 2000 team. Brett Smith and Lonnie Thomas were seniors. Degray was a junior transfer from Wofford. Neither Harmon nor Butler were eligible as freshmen. They were both props and therefore sophomores in 2000.
    My guess is you got that from the website, which is wayyyyyyyyyy off.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Brown did not sign in the early signing date. I have heard he has three finalists and we are among those. Don't recall who the other two schools are. Therefore I would say our odds are 33 per cent.
    Note, I know no details of this situation. I will add that I have not heard coaches mention this guy's name once when I have interacted with them over the last several months. That is likely so as to keep this very close to the vest. Of course they are not allowed to speak publicly about unsigned guys. Of the guys signed, the one they mention most is Kobe Julien.
    No offense, but that's like saying the odds of hitting green on roulette is 33% because there are only 3 colors on the wheel.

    I have to assume our odds of signing him are EXTREMELY low. He is a top prospect getting offers from top programs that happen to be much closer to home. But heck, sometimes you spin the roulette wheel and it lands on zero so who knows?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    No offense, but that's like saying the odds of hitting green on roulette is 33% because there are only 3 colors on the wheel.

    I have to assume our odds of signing him are EXTREMELY low. He is a top prospect getting offers from top programs that happen to be much closer to home. But heck, sometimes you spin the roulette wheel and it lands on zero so who knows?
    I wouldn't say that at all. Cajuns are VERY much in the mix.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    And I just looked it up. The Mc Donald's All-American game nominated 283 boys.


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Still a kick as recruiting class though. Marlin is firing on all cylinders now and the future of this program looks really damn bright. I'm pumped.


  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,744

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    The Manuel, Price, Snowden class also featured Reggie Poole.

    But you are way off on that 2000 team. Brett Smith and Lonnie Thomas were seniors. Degray was a junior transfer from Wofford. Neither Harmon nor Butler were eligible as freshmen. They were both props and therefore sophomores in 2000.
    My guess is you got that from the website, which is wayyyyyyyyyy off.
    I did indeed get that from ragincajuns.com. And thought it was a bit crazy. Thanks for the correction.

    The Snowden, Manuel, Price and Poole group is really strong

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    398

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    It was Marty's best recruiting class.

    Price, of course, left after two seasons.

    Poole was hurt and did not play in Jessie's first year when Manuel and Snowden were seniors. If he plays, we probably win the conference tournament that year.


  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    214

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I have to assume our odds of signing him are EXTREMELY low.
    Then you would be wrong. Of course I have know way of proving unless he signs. But I know for a fact you are wrong.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Broussard, La
    Posts
    1,190

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    No offense, but that's like saying the odds of hitting green on roulette is 33% because there are only 3 colors on the wheel.

    I have to assume our odds of signing him are EXTREMELY low. He is a top prospect getting offers from top programs that happen to be much closer to home. But heck, sometimes you spin the roulette wheel and it lands on zero so who knows?
    Cajuns just need to find the right dealer. One that can steer the ball. Dion might be able to guide him to the right spot

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Best class in school history would be quite a feat considering the players who have come through the program. Guys like Bo Lamar, Roy Ebron, and Fred Saunders had the program ranked in the Top 10 in the early 70's. Andrew Toney was an NBA All Star and a starter on a team which got the ring. Marty Fletcher had a team which went to two NCAA tourneys and pulled several upsets against name teams. Jessie Evans had teams which went to post season play several times. Some of you younger guys may not care but for an old timer like me I appreciate the way the current staff embraces the tradition of the program and the reunion this weekend is an example of that.
    We were ranked No. 4 in the country at one point with that team of Lamar, Ebron, Saunders and Peyton Townsend.

    Shipley went up to Ohio to recruit a fellow named Ed Ratliff but Jerry Tarkanian grabbed him first and took him out to Long Beach State. Lamar was a team mate of Ratliff's and Shipley was plenty impressed. Imagine a high school team with Ratliff and Lamar on the same squad. LOL

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,729

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    We were ranked No. 4 in the country at one point with that team of Lamar, Ebron, Saunders and Peyton Townsend.

    Shipley went up to Ohio to recruit a fellow named Ed Ratliff but Jerry Tarkanian grabbed him first and took him out to Long Beach State. Lamar was a team mate of Ratliff's and Shipley was plenty impressed. Imagine a high school team with Ratliff and Lamar on the same squad. LOL
    Do you remember the Bayou Classic when USL played Long Beach State at Blackham, Lamar vs. Ratliff; Shipley vs. Tarkanian? USL won. I remember Sports Illustrated there covering the game and the tournament. It was a big thing back then. USL also shared the cover of Sports Illustrated. The article said that USL had the only big man, Roy Ebron, who could play with Bill Walton.

  19. #39
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,802

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Do you remember the Bayou Classic when USL played Long Beach State at Blackham, Lamar vs. Ratliff; Shipley vs. Tarkanian? USL won. I remember Sports Illustrated there covering the game and the tournament. It was a big thing back then. USL also shared the cover of Sports Illustrated. The article said that USL had the only big man, Roy Ebron, who could play with Bill Walton.
    That was the first Cajuns game I ever attended. We may still have been Bulldogs at that time.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,533

    Default Re: MBB: Wesley and Lafayette Sign

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Do you remember the Bayou Classic when USL played Long Beach State at Blackham, Lamar vs. Ratliff; Shipley vs. Tarkanian? USL won. I remember Sports Illustrated there covering the game and the tournament. It was a big thing back then. USL also shared the cover of Sports Illustrated. The article said that USL had the only big man, Roy Ebron, who could play with Bill Walton.
    You bet!!! My skinny butt was there on that hard-as-rock bleacher for the entire tournament. I was a basketball fanatic.

    And speaking of Bill Walton, I recall before we were raped by the refs against Louisville, that Wooten said one team he did not wish to play was the Ragin Cajuns. I never saw any explanation as to why he felt that way, but I do recall the quote. Perhaps he felt we matched up too well with them. Had we gotten past Louisville, UCLA was next up. Oh what could have been.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •