Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lotief and title IX

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    My point is, if the guy was genuinely a good person and had a momentary lapse in judgement he probably doesn't get fired for it. Those 2 employees probably work it out and come to an understanding. If you are a f'n azhole to everyone all the Time, nobody is trying to work things out with you.
    Agreed. I got the feeling from reading the strength coach's account that this is SOP around the athletic complex with Mike. It didn't sound like everybody was looking around like, "What's gotten into Mike all of a sudden?"

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lotief and title IX

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    In another life I had a pile of employees in the US and scattered around the world. We employed all types of people from grunts to top-of-the-line technicians and engineers, and competed against the best the industry had to offer.

We went through all the roller coaster rides the oilfield could offer, constantly walking the line between having enough employees to cover the jobs and too many to meet the payroll.

Plenty of times I wanted to throw myself in front of traffic with the frustrations I felt, but never, ever, once, did I feel the need to yell at anyone, poke them, put my hands on them in anger, or otherwise intimidate them to get them to do their jobs properly.

It's not needed, it's uncalled for, it's illegal in most cases and it's something someone does because they lack the skills necessary to do the job they're trying to do.
    I've been having conversations with quite a few ex college athletes lately about this (only guys). The football players I talked to act like there's no limit to cursing and intimidation they've seen. The baseball players tell me there was little to no coach cursing or intimidation directly at them (the few instances were unusual events - not common practices). It isn't a perfect sampling. But this is from 6 different college programs.

I can only hope the people reviewing the UL/Michael Lotief situation... have the ability to look at this objectively... and draw good conclusions. I find his antics totally unacceptable. I don't care if he was curing diseases with all of his nonsense... I just cannot reformulate a context that makes his antics acceptable. He may be the world's biggest Title IX advocate... but women's softball does not rise to utilizing any and every tactic "to win"... being acceptable.

However... what bothers me most... is where this leaves the current softball athletes. This is a shame for them. Regardless if it's Mike that's fully to blame for this disruptive situation... or a joint mismanagement by he and UL... the softball athletes are caught in a very uncomfortable middle space. I can see where they have little to no respect for how outsiders view their coach, the admin and the Title IX stuff. But I hope they find a way to rekindle their relationship with the softball fans and the university... look at the bond they have with each other as the most important component... and stay here. I'm sure they're all struggling with 1000 emotions right now. I feel bad for them.

I'll say this... regardless of how unpopular it might be with other fans... I hope we all accept each and every decision each young women makes. Even if we lose them... I hope we are all big enough human beings to allow these young women the freedom to make the decision they feel is best for them... and support that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    The more I look into this situation one thing has become apparent and that is Coach Lotief uses title IX as an out. "Mike a complaint has been made by an assistant strength and conditioning coach that you insulted her while poking her with you finger." It appears like all these title IX complaints come up when they are looking into other allegations, like the ones of that coach and some of the players that came forward. In his press confrence he had pictures of his field in the fall and compared the grass length to that of the football practice field while they are in season. Trust me if you pass by the practice field in the spring it is groomed know where nearly as well as the softball field.

In this country we have some that play the race card every time something happens to them. Jerry B, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton to name a few and that just diminishes the awareness that should be brought to the real issues. Coach Mike is doing the same by bringing up title IX every time his behavior is in question. Coach if you really cared about this cause you would stop using it as your out to save your @$$.
    In my opinion it seems like Coach Lotief was comparing his program with the Alabama's, Michigan's and Florida's of the world. He wanted the support they were getting from their administrations and felt if he would get it, then he could win a National Championship. I get that, but that is not happening in Lafayette with our budget, doesn't happen in any of our programs. But this has nothing to do with male or female athletes and certainly nothing do with the way he treats those around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'll say this... regardless of how unpopular it might be with other fans... I hope we all accept each and every decision each young women makes. Even if we lose them... I hope we are all big enough human beings to allow these young women the freedom to make the decision they feel is best for them... and support that decision.
    Absolutely, I have no issue with any athlete who chooses to leave the program. I wish them all the best wherever they go.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    In my opinion it seems like Coach Lotief was comparing his program with the Alabama's, Michigan's and Florida's of the world. He wanted the support they were getting from their administrations and felt if he would get it, then he could win a National Championship. I get that, but that is not happening in Lafayette with our budget, doesn't happen in any of our programs. But this has nothing to do with male or female athletes and certainly nothing do with the way he treats those around him.
    I have no doubt this is how he viewed it. UL softball is a unique situation. There aren't too many programs from the P5 or G5 groups, especially in the south where football, men's basketball and men's baseball are enormous... that have a women's program that is a contender on the national level... while all the others (UL baseball being an occasional exception) are not.

We were in the "Perfect Storm" scenario for this to occur. We have a relatively small budget, fierce needs for all sports, men's athletics in need of every element at their disposal to get some notoriety, a hot cauldron of fans/supporters demanding more out of those 3 men's sports, a unique group of fans that dearly love the "better by comparison" UL softball program, a lawyer coach that has some terrible bedside manners, a lawyer coach that thinks just about anything you do/say to a young women that makes the team better... is acceptable, and a lawyer coach that is intelligent enough to know he has a Title IX law to wag in the face of anyone that opposes him.

It's what the late great Jim Lahey (John Dunsworth) would call... "A Perfect ____ Storm".

I read the pdf and it sounds like a man who has had enough of the same old thing. Did he address the situation in the correct manner? No, he didn't. We all have been in situations like this when people you are counting on do not do what is expected. Pressure, sickness and a feeling of a lack of control can do strange things to people. He still could have addressed this with people that can do something about the "broken system" instead of cursing and screaming at people just working within the system.

Actually that's not what UL and McNeese did about five years ago.They released two to their former assistant coach Broadhead and he released one to them.It is rare to allow an assistant to keep his recruits when he goes elsewhere.They were all immediately eligible.Reasonable parties worked it out on both sides.Similar scenarios have recently played out in women's golf I helped with so I've seen this play out many different ways especially when there are extenuating circumstances easily recognized.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Alum77 View Post
    Actually that's not what UL and McNeese did about five years ago.They released two to their former assistant coach Broadhead and he released one to them.It is rare to allow an assistant to keep his recruits when he goes elsewhere.They were all immediately eligible.Reasonable parties worked it out on both sides.Similar scenarios have recently played out in women's golf I helped with so I've seen this play out many different ways especially when there are extenuating circumstances easily recognized.
    That happened before the recruiting season ended. There's two signing periods in basketball. These are veteran we've invested into

Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    I read the pdf and it sounds like a man who has had enough of the same old thing. Did he address the situation in the correct manner? No, he didn't. We all have been in situations like this when people you are counting on do not do what is expected. Pressure, sickness and a feeling of a lack of control can do strange things to people. He still could have addressed this with people that can do something about the "broken system" instead of cursing and screaming at people just working within the system.
    I sympathize with him. He's been battling health issues, seems like a long, long time. That alone can make you do and say things, you would not otherwise.

Actually the letters of intent were signed and the signing dates are irrelevant.Teams invest a lot into recruiting also.The letter of intent is treated very seriously in most cases.I have seen released given also when coaches are fired.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3