_ _ _ _
Page 32 of 106 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'ending' of the Michael Lotief era

1. UL Softball Mike Lotief post UL

A letter from softball players is asking the University of Louisiana to end its "unjust and uncorroborated" investigation into head coach Michael Lotief, who was placed on administrative leave Oct. 6

Default Re: Softball Program

A wise man tried to warn us in the 80s and 90s about letting athletics get too big for our thongs. People like J1M didn't want to listen.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    A wise man tried to warn us in the 80s and 90s about letting athletics get too big for our thongs. People like J1M didn't want to listen.
    Sey Hey Ray.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Christ almighty..... for the sake of those of us that "toiled in the mud pits back then" don't bring those nightmares up.....😉

I know you're joking, but I just died a little more inside...

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Softball Re: Softball Program

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Since you only get 12 scholarships for softball (11.7 for baseball) and a large percentage of the players are on academic scholarships or TOPS, how do they calculate the expenses on this? They also typically have 5-8 redshirts every year who never travel.

I know for years we've been taking buses for trips for virtually all road trips. The only flight I remember was when we went to Oregon about three years ago. We seem to have deliberately avoided trips that could have helped us RPI wise because they were too expensive. I'd be really interested to look at the actual P&L for programs.
    I'd submit that any money from TOPS, academic scholarships, pell grants aren't a function of athletic expenses, or revenue. All those items are available to all students who qualify.

By rough calculations, it would seem that ticket sales would generate closer to $300000 alone without any other income (club memberships, etc).
    Baseball season tickets = 500k
    Baseball Gate Receipts = 100k

Softball season tickets = 110k
    Softball tay receipts = 60k

I'm curious. Can you pull up those number for other baseball/softball situations state wide? I'd be willing to bet that this is the norm for most universities recognized as top softball programs. Does it happen to say how much baseball makes from local signage in the stadium? I've always wondered about that income. Thanks
    If you are talking about the baseball wall signs it is 30 sponsors at $3,000 a season and the old scoreboard is around $12,000

Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    Baseball season tickets = 500k
    Baseball Gate Receipts = 100k

Softball season tickets = 110k
    Softball tay receipts = 60k
    Baseball concessions = 115k
    Softball confessions = 13k

Softball spent $415,148 on scholarships. Baseball spent $384,673

It is good to see we have an AD with a backbone and not afraid to stand up to bully coaches like SF was.

Default Termination Blueprint

Interesting that this happened in Missouri last year..

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...106958717.html

Advertisement is split between the general fund ($306k), and $87,500 to each men's basketball and women's basketball.

So I don't know how much ads and sponsors brig in to baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    It is good to see we have an AD with a backbone and not afraid to stand up to bully coaches like SF was.
    Didn't SF stand up to this coach?

Wonder how any of these girls would feel if they were abused and came forward only to have the university not investigate it? Wonder if they would feel like that action would be "gender equity"?

It is amazing how many people are blindly bashing the administration and supporting coach mike without hearing shred of defense from the university... an actual phd professor wrote an opinion piece in the Advertiser...starts her letter with "I don't know any details...." then goes on to say mike is being mistreated... what?!?!.....a Dr. can't be that stupid, right??

Anyone recall how long Penn State University stayed on mute before acknowledging their terrible situation?

Then I guess she was a volunteer assistant, so I guess they fired a volunteer.
    Would assume the state is just like all other employers...employment-at-will State we are...

I'll be blunt. I loved the fact we had a great softball program. But it's softball. The sum total of all the goodwill and good feelings and great pub generated through the whole history of that program is all just about nullified by the bad publicity from this one situation. That sport doesn't move the needle beyond a very small, niche crowd to be worth nearly this much trouble.

I hope the problem is solved, but I want it to disappear from the general public's radar more than anything.

And here we go.....Lotief fired.

Shoe dropped.

Page 32 of 106 FirstFirst ... 22 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 42 ... LastLast