Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Coaches and their contracts

Default Re: Coaches and their contracts

How does money go to the VOLUNTEER assistants if they are unpaid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    How does money go to the VOLUNTEER assistants if they are unpaid?
    I have worked camps for colleges in the past. Basically, the coaches are paid from the payments of campers that day.

It was usually only a few hundred bucks. Its great exposure for the camp coaches to put on their resume. Nothing major....

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    Saw this yesterday. How ridiculous?!
    I thought Hud's buyout was way more than that. It makes me feel a little more hopeful now that the university can come up with the 1.5 needed. I guarantee we will lose much more if we don't make a change now.

Keep in mind... all of these guys get car allowances, cell phones paid, clothes, etc... a lot of extra "perks" not shown in those numbers

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Just so you understand: it's been said Robe should get more, and I agree. Marlin income while carrying a huge deficit against the department is way out of wack to Robe as a percentage to income. If basketball wasn't such a successful sport nationwide Marlin could not get such a large salary compared to generated ticket revenue.

I'm saying screw the national salary as a reason to overpay BM.
    Where does the UL basketball staff compensation rank in comparison to other SBC schools? I am not sure but I recall hearing it is in the middle of the pack. Anyway once you have a contract you cannot go back and adjust it. You adjust it once the current one expires.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Coaches and their contracts

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Where does the UL basketball staff compensation rank in comparison to other SBC schools? I am not sure but I recall hearing it is in the middle of the pack. Anyway once you have a contract you cannot go back and adjust it. You adjust it once the current one expires.
    You sound like Karl Benson with ESPN. LOL 😂😂😂 just kidding.

Of course contracts are altered all the time while in force. Naturally we'd have to give up something to get a more university friendly adjustment.

Maybe make the guaranteed money weaker, bonuses harder to get, but for much bigger top end. The bonus money should be more difficult, but definitely achievable.

Now after the contract expires he's in a far weaker position IMO. Also I really don't want a coach I can squeeze very hard.

Bob knows he's not likely to get a better gig, but we can definitely get a better coach.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Of course contracts are altered all the time while in force. Naturally we'd have to give up something to get a more university friendly adjustment.

Maybe make the guaranteed money weaker, bonuses harder to get, but for much bigger top end. The bonus money should be more difficult, but definitely achievable.

Now after the contract expires he's in a far weaker position IMO. Also I really don't want a coach I can squeeze very hard.

Bob knows he's not likely to get a better gig, but we can definitely get a better coach.
    Contract does not end until 2020. At this time there is no reason to renegotiate. This will be the first season under the new AD so we will see what he thinks of the results at season's end. I can tell you he spoke very highly of both basketball coaches at the banquet last week. Focused more on the off the court positives in his talk. However, in that type function that is what he is expected to say. I still don't know where the staff compensation ranks in the SBC. Maybe someone else does.

Marlin would have no reason to renegotiate. This is great in a perfect world scenario but he'd be an idiot to do so. We have no leverage in getting him to do so.

It's incredible guys.
    UF can fire McElwain WITH CAUSE and no money for a comment about death threats, but this KeyStone Cop administration we have can't find one thing to string Hudspeth up on..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It's incredible guys.
    UF can fire McElwain WITH CAUSE and no money for a comment about death threats, but this KeyStone Cop administration we have can't find one thing to string Hudspeth up on..
    "String up on" is inappropriate.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Marlin would have no reason to renegotiate. This is great in a perfect world scenario but he'd be an idiot to do so. We have no leverage in getting him to do so.
    The incentive is a better, much better income for real success. Clearly if he's not comfortable with high expectations he's created. Of course it may all be built on a smoke and mirror narrative. Now we see his peers expect him to again finish middle of the pack.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

His peers know they can out coach Bigfish, even when we have better talent. They know he can be depended on to lose several conference games that our talent says we should win, and to not win many when we are out manned.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/f...-lots-of-money

Wow, is uf even dumber than the flagship? At least i think the flagship has a clause if the coach gets another job the buyout isndecreased, maybe not????

The incentive is a better, much better income for real success. Clearly if he's not comfortable with high expectations he's created. Of course it may all be built on a smoke and mirror narrative. Now we see his peers expect him to again finish middle of the pack.
    The recent prediction poll you are talking about on here was not done by his peers. It was done by NBC sports. Has a coaches poll come out yet? Even so, I don't know what the results of that have anything to do with Marlin renegotiating his contract.

The recent prediction poll you are talking about on here was not done by his peers. It was done by NBC sports. Has a coaches poll come out yet? Even so, I don't know what the results of that have anything to do with Marlin renegotiating his contract.
    To be fair to Bob I want him to make considerably more money for exceptional success. I'm not even asking him to help generate additional sales except in wins, great academics, NCAA firewall, and great student athlete citizens.

What I'd hope we're offering is a mid range guarantee salary, which is his normal SBC position. We sweeten the deal for exceptional pay for exceptional seasons. That's my carrot 🥕 for renegotiation of this lousy contract for the university.

I'm confessing I thought someone posted that the predicted finish was the coaches of the conference. Maybe Bob would want an exceptional great payday if he were indeed holding a royal flush. I'm beginning to think he's holding a pair of duces, and threes. That's why I brought up the poll.

In any case I'm excited to be getting my tickets, excited about a winnable but easy non conference schedule, and hoping I'm wrong about another middle finish in a lower tiered conference.

Is that enough KoolAid?

To be fair to Bob I want him to make considerably more money for exceptional success. I'm not even asking him to help generate additional sales except in wins, great academics, NCAA firewall, and great student athlete citizens.

What I'd hope we're offering is a mid range guarantee salary, which is his normal SBC position. We sweeten the deal for exceptional pay for exceptional seasons. That's my carrot 🥕 for renegotiation of this lousy contract for the university.

I'm confessing I thought someone posted that the predicted finish was the coaches of the conference. Maybe Bob would want an exceptional great payday if he were indeed holding a royal flush. I'm beginning to think he's holding a pair of duces, and threes. That's why I brought up the poll.

In any case I'm excited to be getting my tickets, excited about a winnable but easy non conference schedule, and hoping I'm wrong about another middle finish in a lower tiered conference.

Is that enough KoolAid?
    I will provide two facts here - 1) The conference has been above the lower tier rankings for the last three years and should be better this year. I think the SBC was No. 13 in the overall RPI last year and there are approximately 30 conferences. By comparison CUSA was near 20 last season. Lower tier is below 20. 2) The non conference home schedule appears easy but you never know how teams will do. The road non conference schedule is anything but easy. In fact it is challenging.

We only discuss easy ___ed teams Bob builds his resume on. He clearly could get a payday and use the money to buy a decent A-1 team instead of two lower div teams.

We only discuss easy ___ed teams Bob builds his resume on. He clearly could get a payday and use the money to buy a decent A-1 team instead of two lower div teams.
    We agree to disagree here. There is no decent D1 team willing to come here for a payday. Some of you do not believe that and that is your right. Name another SBC or CUSA team paying another decent school to go to their place. Obviously I do not know if there are any but I do know the occurrence is rare. Best way to get a team here is to play home and home. Also, I do not believe the new administration has approved the OK to "buy" a game as that will easily approach 70 grand even if it is Southern. For the record, I also do not believe we should be playing two non D1 teams. One is plenty. That being said, there are 13 home games against D1 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We agree to disagree here. There is no decent D1 team willing to come here for a payday. Some of you do not believe that and that is your right. Name another SBC or CUSA team paying another decent school to go to their place. Obviously I do not know if there are any but I do know the occurrence is rare. Best way to get a team here is to play home and home. Also, I do not believe the new administration has approved the OK to "buy" a game as that will easily approach 70 grand even if it is Southern. For the record, I also do not believe we should be playing two non D1 teams. One is plenty. That being said, there are 13 home games against D1 teams.
    Agreed. Its much harder to get good D-1 teams to travel to us. Certainly much more so than it used to be. Its not as easy as gathering your funds and paying one to come here. Most of the big name teams play in large conferences where they get 8-9 conference home games and then have no trouble paying other teams to travel to play them at home. They don't typically have a lot of motivation to come play us as our place. The best chance we have of getting good opponents willing to travel to play us is to create some name recognition where it makes it potentially attractive for a lower level P-5 team or good team outside of P5 willing to travel to us and bump up their OOC SOS.

Agreed. Its much harder to get good D-1 teams to travel to us. Certainly much more so than it used to be. Its not as easy as gathering your funds and paying one to come here. Most of the big name teams play in large conferences where they get 8-9 conference home games and then have no trouble paying other teams to travel to play them at home. They don't typically have a lot of motivation to come play us as our place. The best chance we have of getting good opponents willing to travel to play us is to create some name recognition where it makes it potentially attractive for a lower level P-5 team or good team outside of P5 willing to travel to us and bump up their OOC SOS.
    Scheduling will get even harder in the future as some of the major conferences are moving to 20 conference games. That will make it harder for the mid-majors to play the big boys-even on the road. Leagues like the SBC may have no choice but to go to 20 league games as well just to fill out the schedule. Another fact I forgot to mention earlier is that the state education boards are encouraging state schools to play each other more frequently in order to manage travel costs. Of course if you are going on the road for a payday your costs are covered. I don't know if we are ready to play 18-20 road games with 5 of 6 of them being guarantee games and having only 10-12 home games. Some may advocate that but a move to such a policy will affect class time. The next coach may be willing to do that but the current staff is not and the new AD was in place when the current schedule was approved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast