_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'ending' of the Michael Lotief era

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Softball Program

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Basin is right, let this play out. May be nothing, may be a lot more to the story which we probably would never know.
    Not that I disagree with you... but it will "play out" regardless of the discussion on this forum. A credit to your last point... this is an inside squabble. And we will get no direct information from the university. What Mike put out via his attorney was his personally scripted message to the public (with fans, players, recruits in mind).

I hope this simmers down... with Mike and the university finding a resolution. What we will hear is that the university and Mike have sat down and worked this out... or that Mike has resigned.

The issues or non issues regarding the fairness of the treatment of softball versus football (or other) can be haggled by our fans for as long as they wish to do it.

I used to be concerned about Title IX... and producing athletic fairness between the two genders. But I was told the other day that there's a gender continuum now. I don't think we have enough Roman numerals for it. For athletics... it sounds very expensive. Can you imagine what the Michael Lotief will be like... coaching the gender continuum athletes? "Mow the grass... leave it long... go with turf... pierce it... color it blue... color it pink... mow it... no let it grow out... ... ...".

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    At the end of the day....softball being great does nothing for the athletic department....except give us bragging rights over certain schools close in vicinity.

With that being said... if it's a hurt feelings report filed to HR that caused this... man up and move on.

Quote by KajunKrazy:
    You are correct it is the most recognized by those who pay attention to softball. Which is a very small number of people in the grand scheme of things. Because 95% of college fans don't give a rats @$$ about softball. The casual sports fan around the nation knows more of who the ragin Cajuns are because of the TV appearances in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The program has national powers visit Louisiana every year. Your statement is false.

I became a fan of UL after researching Boxing, gymnastics, weightlifting, and wrestling.

Football is my favorite sport.
    UL sports is my favorite. I truly like and follow football, baseball, softball, both men and women's basketball. But the sports that do the best here are the ones where the coach has a personal involvement and investment.....softball (Lotief's), baseball (Robicheaux) and women's basketball (Brodhead). Not that Hudspeth and Marlin don't have a personal involvement, but both would be gone in a heartbeat if a better offer came along. Lotief, Robe and Brodhead do it for the love of the university and community.

With that being said, CajunJeaux and KajunKrazy, please tell me what national powers does the football team bring in on a yearly basis, just not a blue moon sorts. Would that be McNeese, Southern, Northwestern LA, or the future Liberty? Whereas, top 10 (top 5) teams play at Lamson Park on a yearly basis...Alabama, Baylor, Florida, ...the list goes on. I agree that there is less exposure in softball than football, but if the football team or basketball team was 1/4 as good as the softball team is every year, then both programs would be a top 20 team nationally ranked every year. What nationally ranked team has a Coach Hud team beaten either at Cajun field or on the road.....0. So what exposure does our football program bring if any to this university? 0

UL gets 30 seconds of air time when they play in the R&L Carrier's bowl, which I am grateful for, but in reality, means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Not that I disagree with you... but it will "play out" regardless of the discussion on this forum. A credit to your last point... this is an inside squabble. And we will get no direct information from the university. What Mike put out via his attorney was his personally scripted message to the public (with fans, players, recruits in mind).

I hope this simmers down... with Mike and the university finding a resolution. What we will hear is that the university and Mike have sat down and worked this out... or that Mike has resigned.

The issues or non issues regarding the fairness of the treatment of softball versus football (or other) can be haggled by our fans for as long as they wish to do it.

I used to be concerned about Title IX... and producing athletic fairness between the two genders. But I was told the other day that there's a gender continuum now. I don't think we have enough Roman numerals for it. For athletics... it sounds very expensive. Can you imagine what the Michael Lotief will be like... coaching the gender continuum athletes? "Mow the grass... leave it long... go with turf... pierce it... color it blue... color it pink... mow it... no let it grow out... ... ...".
    Mike's "passion" has been well documented. What makes him a great coach also makes him a pain in the ___ to manage from an admin point of view. And I get it 100%.

Here's what's concerning: Why would an attorney retain legal council, and then use said legal council to accuse coworkers (or worse, superiors) of marginalizing female athletes? Equality is about as hot button a topic as racism; why choose that slippery slope? Over a squabble?

Unfortunately, it looks like CajunRebel is going to be right on this. Either Mike did cross the line, and he knows it, so he's using lawyer tactics to deflect... Or, something really unseemly is actually going on.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    At the end of the day....softball being great does nothing for the athletic department....except give us bragging rights over certain schools close in vicinity.

With that being said... if it's a hurt feelings report filed to HR that caused this... man up and move on.

Quote by KajunKrazy:
    You are correct it is the most recognized by those who pay attention to softball. Which is a very small number of people in the grand scheme of things. Because 95% of college fans don't give a rats @$$ about softball. The casual sports fan around the nation knows more of who the ragin Cajuns are because of the TV appearances in football.

UL sports is my favorite. I truly like and follow football, baseball, softball, both men and women's basketball. But the sports that do the best here are the ones where the coach has a personal involvement and investment.....softball (Lotief's), baseball (Robicheaux) and women's basketball (Brodhead). Not that Hudspeth and Marlin don't have a personal involvement, but both would be gone in a heartbeat if a better offer came along. Lotief, Robe and Brodhead do it for the love of the university and community.

With that being said, CajunJeaux and KajunKrazy, please tell me what national powers does the football team bring in on a yearly basis, just not a blue moon sorts. Would that be McNeese, Southern, Northwestern LA, or the future Liberty? Whereas, top 10 (top 5) teams play at Lamson Park on a yearly basis...Alabama, Baylor, Florida, ...the list goes on. I agree that there is less exposure in softball than football, but if the football team or basketball team was 1/4 as good as the softball team is every year, then both programs would be a top 20 team nationally ranked every year. What nationally ranked team has a Coach Hud team beaten either at Cajun field or on the road.....0. So what exposure does our football program bring if any to this university? 0

UL gets 30 seconds of air time when they play in the R&L Carrier's bowl, which I am grateful for, but in reality, means nothing.
    I'll give you Lotief's and Robichaux for great success, no one can deny that.....Brodhead has accomplished no more than Marlin or Hudspeth..... Football and Basketball don't bring in national powers, you are correct...As far as "if" fball and bball were 1/4 as good as softball???... I think it's debatable that compared to fball and bball, UL softball has way more resources than the average softball program across the country... cant say the same for fball or bball.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Mike's "passion" has been well documented. What makes him a great coach also makes him a pain in the ___ to manage from an admin point of view. And I get it 100%.

Here's what's concerning: Why would an attorney retain legal council, and then use said legal council to accuse coworkers (or worse, superiors) of marginalizing female athletes? Equality is about as hot button a topic as racism; why choose that slippery slope? Over a squabble?

Unfortunately, it looks like CajunRebel is going to be right on this. Either Mike did cross the line, and he knows it, so he's using lawyer tactics to deflect... Or, something really unseemly is actually going on.
    I've read 1 or 2 interesting (alleged) posts on that facebook machine...and those posts are not directed at our beloved university.... will be interesting if the other half of the (official) story is made public.

I've read 1 or 2 interesting (alleged) posts on that facebook machine...and those posts are not directed at our beloved university.... will be interesting if the other half of the (official) story is made public.
    What do you mean; posts from Mike about the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    What do you mean; posts from Mike about the issue?
    Definitely not post from Mike....random public profiles offering their opinion about the situation.

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

That doesn't give him free reign...as basin has said....let's let the situation play out...
    Free reign was taken away when the AD made it clear if a player gets arrested they're gone. Which contradicts what Mike did with HH and her DWI

Definitely not post from Mike....random public profiles offering their opinion about the situation.
    Right. I certainly have no idea, I just found it very odd that a lawyer retained a lawyer for this apparent inside squabble.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'll give you Lotief's and Robichaux for great success, no one can deny that.....Brodhead has accomplished no more than Marlin or Hudspeth..... Football and Basketball don't bring in national powers, you are correct...As far as "if" fball and bball were 1/4 as good as softball???... I think it's debatable that compared to fball and bball, UL softball has way more resources than the average softball program across the country... cant say the same for fball or bball.
    Actually, they do have more resources than the average of the 286 NCAA D1 softball programs. I would say they are no where near the resources of the top 20 NCAA D1 softball programs which they regularly rank among. JMO

Blog Entries

This definitely seems to have the making of someone ____ed off going the "F" it route and going the hell off on his boss. I hope its just that and nothing behind the scenes going on. As many have posted, using a lawyer to put ones statement out is a pretty ominous occurrence. I have no clue and have not heard anything gossip wise which is highly unusual which only adds to the intrigue.

McElligott is a personal friend of Lotief. I remember both from Leysa way back in the day. I doubt (don't know) he is paying McElligott... probably just asked him to post this on his behalf.

Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Not liking this move, but hopefully this moves the needle in the end toward Mike's side. Mostly just wanted to try this Mackenzie GIF.

Was originally looking for this one, though.

This seems like deja vu all over again. All I know is I support the softball program because of what the Lotief's have done for it. If Mike is gone I will have to decide whether to continue purchasing Softball tickets or not. As a fan its a small thing but I'm not sure what happens with Mike is gone. I hope this comes to a quick solution and all sides are happy as I do not want to lose our softball program.

Whatever happened, the University needs to be a bit more forthcoming about why it placed one of its more higher profile head coaches on administrative leave, for better or for worse. With Lotief's statement, and absent a response from the school, speculation (like we're seeing here and on Facebook) is running rampant.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Whatever happened, the University needs to be a bit more forthcoming about why it placed one of its more higher profile head coaches on administrative leave, for better or for worse. With Lotief's statement, and absent a response from the school, speculation (like we're seeing here and on Facebook) is running rampant.
    I am sure the school wants this to go away. Not discussing it is how that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    I am sure the school wants this to go away. Not discussing it is how that happens.
    The longer he stays out on administrative leave, the more people will talk.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Softball Re: Softball Program

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Don't be sorry.

For every dollar put into softball the equal dollar put into football leads to less awareness.

If increased, there is point where this ceases to be true. But as of right now the money spent on softball is doing more good for the University than the same amount spent on football.

It's not even close.
    Every program at UL needs lots more dollars. UL football at last the last accounting had the largest budget in the SBC, and near the top of CUSA. Unless we need money to fire Hud, dollars aren't a big factor in our seemingly never ending bad to mediocre performance.

UL needs to cut grass, have trainers on site during practice and exercise times. Trainers to evaluate the young women, and pay coaches. Everything talked about in the article.

Maybe they're doing it, maybe not up to professional standards. Maybe things really got out of hand in the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Every program at UL needs lots more dollars. UL football at last the last accounting had the largest budget in the SBC, and near the top of CUSA. Unless we need money to fire Hud, dollars aren't a big factor in our seemingly never ending bad to mediocre performance.

UL needs to cut grass, have trainers on site during practice and exercise times. Trainers to evaluate the young women, and pay coaches. Everything talked about in the article.

Maybe they're doing it, maybe not up to professional standards. Maybe things really got out of hand in the discussion.
    Why does UL need to cut the grass? Babb cut the grass for years. Should UL cut the grass for them just because they are women? Because that's not gender equality. Raise the money and get turf like the other sports did if you don't want to cut the grass. None of this story makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    The longer he stays out on administrative leave, the more people will talk.
    I agree. They are almost there, though. He went out 10-6. Two weeks is tomorrow.

Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast