_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'ending' of the Michael Lotief era

UL Softball The 'ending' of the Michael Lotief era

Default Re: Softball Program

Yeah, this isn't good at all.

from his attorney

"Approximately two weeks ago, Coach Lotief was informed that he was placed on administrative leave. We would like the softball fan base, Ragin' Cajun supporters and the good people of Lafayette to understand that this action arises out of a passionate conversation about gender equity, between Coach Lotief and other University personnel. In this conversation, Coach Lotief raised simple issues like getting the grass cut, making sure students have an athletic trainer at practice, making sure the assistant coaches get paid and ensuring female athletes get a functional assessment before doing weight training.

"The Lotiefs have spent their university careers fighting for better opportunities for female athletes and to make sure they are afforded equitable opportunities. While no formal complaints have been made against Coach Lotief, we hope that this brings greater awareness to the issues of gender equity, and ask the community for their continued support and prayers for UL's softball players in this difficult time."

RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Don't want to jump to conclusions, but this doesn't look good. The history between Mike and the University seems rocky.

Blog Entries

Mike is always fighting for the program. He just needs to work on his language, it diminishes his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Don't want to jump to conclusions, but this doesn't look good. The history between Mike and the University seems rocky.
    Agreed. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail all around but losing him at this stage would not be good at all. I've had difficult employees who I kept around because they were very good at what they did even though they could drive me insane at times. As passionate as Mike is he might be one of those employees but those above need to figure out a way to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I was under the assumption that the friction in the past was between Coach Lotief and Scott Farmer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    I was under the assumption that the friction in the past was between Coach Lotief and Scott Farmer.
    Seems the concerns were never properly addressed and Mike will not be second fiddle when it comes to his team. Not knowing specifics its hard to form an opinion but Mike has never held back when discussing the challenges of his program.

drop mens track and W soccer and get this man some more money

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Agreed. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail all around but losing him at this stage would not be good at all. I've had difficult employees who I kept around because they were very good at what they did even though they could drive me insane at times. As passionate as Mike is he might be one of those employees but those above need to figure out a way to make it work.
    This! I certainly don't know all the details but I'm hoping that cooler heads prevail, but this is the first time he has retained an attorney.

11. UL Softball Lotief placed on administrative leave

UL softball coach Michael Lotief has been placed on administrative leave._

Blog Entries

This was my impression too. I NEVER want to see Coach Mike leave the program and hope Maggard realizes he IS Cajun Softball.

On the other side of the argument softball has a top 10 stadium and a new indoor batting facility. I'm not sure any other softball programs with UL's athletic budget that has these amenities.

Blog Entries

Change names for positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    "...that this action arises out of a passionate conversation about gender equity, between Coach Lotief and other University personnel."

"While no formal complaints have been made against Coach Lotief, we hope that this brings greater awareness to the issues of gender equity...."

Statements provides two mentions of gender equity as well as the fact no complaint had been made.

If T-Joe is the uber-liberal he is alleged to be, Mike is absolutely cool. And T-Joe might not be the only person in a position of authority at UL who I think would feel this way.

I don't think this is as bad as we might think.

Everybody admires how Robe builds strong men.

Well, Mike is building equally strong women; a fight he is willing to go to the mat over.

Salute, Coach Lotief.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    drop mens track and W soccer and get this man some more money
    ummmm... no (to the dropping of track and soccer)

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    This was my impression too. I NEVER want to see Coach Mike leave the program and hope Maggard realizes he IS Cajun Softball.

On the other side of the argument softball has a top 10 stadium and a new indoor batting facility. I'm not sure any other softball programs with UL's athletic budget that has these amenities.
    Have you seen UCLA and UF softball stadiums .. Ours is a palace compared to theirs

One of our coaches is a social activist now. Yay!

If Lotief was placed on administrative leave I have to assume he crossed a big line. Naturally his lawyer is going to try to get ahead of the story and spin it into him being some crusader for gender equality, but this is probably more about him not being able to control his emotions.

I know of a few coaches at UL who get frustrated with how much football monopolizes everything. Compared to football every other program is treated like a second class citizen. I can definitely see how that would frustrate Lotief too. But I don't think he has a right to say the university hasn't done its part to help the softball program. Our facilities are first class.

Lotief is one of the greatest things that ever happened to this university. I hope they can work things out.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    If Lotief was placed on administrative leave I have to assume he crossed a big line. Naturally his lawyer is going to try to get ahead of the story and spin it into him being some crusader for gender equality, but this is probably more about him not being able to control his emotions.

I know of a few coaches at UL who get frustrated with how much football monopolizes everything. Compared to football every other program is treated like a second class citizen. I can definitely see how that would frustrate Lotief too. But I don't think he has a right to say the university hasn't done its part to help the softball program. Our facilities are first class.

Lotief is one of the greatest things that ever happened to this university. I hope they can work things out.
    Agreed.

And, to a larger point. If the end result is he is no longer with the program, WE WILL BE FINE.

That night sound harsh, but it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

It doesn't seem he was happy with the previous or current administration. Guess he doesn't like to be told "no". Not that any of us do

Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast