Page 60 of 107 FirstFirst ... 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2122

Thread: The 'ending' of the Michael Lotief era

Default Re: Softball Program

From the attitude of some posters you would think the only choices are to win and accept that to win players have to accept physical and verbal abuse or on the other hand lose and and have a team of snowflakes. This is an idiotic view, to be blunt. The greatest coach in the history of team sports put that one to bed at UCLA. Coaches who use those abusive methods and win, do so in spite of the abuse, not due to it.

It is possible to instill discipline and character without grabbing a girl by the hair or calling her vulgar names. I can't believe this is even a debatable point.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    I never said that. He implied that his Dad was a better person for having been a Marine. I'm just saying if the Marine Corps somehow influenced his values, I know from first hand experience the training included some harsh methods, some vulgarity, and plenty of what many might consider mental and physical abuse.
    I didn't imply my father was better than anyone. I was responding to someone who was saying if you object to a grown man physically abusing females you are a soft p____y. Hell yeah his training was probably worse and combat even moreso. He was trained to kill and took part in death. No doubt physically and psychologically abusive and no human should have to endure, but necessary due to the world being the way it is. Much different than softball. We, as a nation, are not relying on softball players to defend us from attack. (Unless they subsequently enlist).

The poster I was responding to was talking about how the world is going soft and we used to be hard. My father is from a very hard generation yet the values he passed on were to defend those being abused because they were weaker than their abuser.

But if you think it is hypocritical of me to have no issue with drill sergeants and a problem with what I read about Mike? Ok, I'm a hypocrite.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    From the attitude of some posters you would think the only choices are to win and accept that to win players have to accept physical and verbal abuse or on the other hand lose and and have a team of snowflakes. This is an idiotic view, to be blunt. The greatest coach in the history of team sports put that one to bed at UCLA. Coaches who use those abusive methods and win, do so in spite of the abuse, not due to it.

It is possible to instill discipline and character without grabbing a girl by the hair or calling her vulgar names. I can't believe this is even a debatable point.
    Whatever success the former coach (his name is mud to me) had was despite his cave man methodology, not because of it. His "culture" contradicts most conventional wisdom regarding coaching female teams.

To the 2nd point, I might add battery on a female co-worker, or subordinate automatically terminates employment in any legitimate organization, not just a state university. Zero tolerance is the norm.

I know a D1 baseball coach (28 years same school) whose baseball field was named after him, was fired nine years ago for similarly egregious behavior. The school promptly removed his name from the ballpark.

http://sports.outsidethebeltway.com/...equipment-mgr/

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Perhaps coaches should slack off the war terminology when preparing players for the intense physical and mental confrontation they are about to encounter?

I wonder what metaphors coaches can use going forward?
    Perhaps people need to not be idiots. Perhaps idioms and metaphors should be taken for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    This. This 1000 percent.

I do not understand how people do not think lines can not be crossed. Then instead of defending their stance, they just call us snowflakes and liberals? wtf is going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I didn't imply my father was better than anyone. I was responding to someone who was saying if you object to a grown man physically abusing females you are a soft p____y. Hell yeah his training was probably worse and combat even moreso. He was trained to kill and took part in death. No doubt physically and psychologically abusive and no human should have to endure, but necessary due to the world being the way it is. Much different than softball. We, as a nation, are not relying on softball players to defend us from attack. (Unless they subsequently enlist).

The poster I was responding to was talking about how the world is going soft and we used to be hard. My father is from a very hard generation yet the values he passed on were to defend those being abused because they were weaker than their abuser.

But if you think it is hypocritical of me to have no issue with drill sergeants and a problem with what I read about Mike? Ok, I'm a hypocrite.
    Again, thank you. And to be clear, anyone that has gone through mental, physical or verbal abuse and believes it's ok to condone or impart it on others is equally a sick SOB.

Most normal people that experience these things will fight to keep it out of society, not the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    This. This 1000 percent.

I do not understand how people do not think lines can not be crossed. Then instead of defending their stance, they just call us snowflakes and liberals? wtf is going on here?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I didn't imply my father was better than anyone...
    I don't think anyone took your statement that way. Including Alum81

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Perhaps people need to not be idiots. Perhaps idioms and metaphors should be taken for what they are.
    Quit defending Lotief. Makes you look schizophrenic.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    We don't. I suspect that there aren't really any. And if he's using Title IX to deflect from his own problems, then he deserves to be dragged out of town. That's why I think a press conference with Savoie and Maggard is necessary. They both need to say person -- not through a press release -- that the charges were serious enough to warrant his removal for the players safety. Furthermore, they also need to demonstrate at that press conference that the university's commitment to women's athletics is strong, how it is in comparison to other schools, and that the commitment is ongoing.

But they're not. They're handling it like a backroom, middle-of-the-night deal, like this place has always done.
    I don't have a problem going by press release. At this point, this isn't a fan or public matter. At some point in the future, maybe some of the info comes out but right now you have potential Title IX issues to deal with and potential lawsuits. There is just not that much that can be said from either standpoint until those things are straightened out. What are they going to do? Hold a press conference with some formed statements? They can't answer questions by the media and you know the media would want to ask them just like they did to Mike. Did you see Mike's answers? They didn't answer anything because he likely really couldn't get into it either and he's the guy that really has little to lose at this point.

Its physical schematics.

One hand is occupied, you can't talk while the knob is being turned to draw in air. To keep the attention while waiting to talk you use physical cues.

It is an unavoidable conversation compensation.
    Yeah, let's blame this on his trach and meds.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quit defending Lotief. Makes you look schizophrenic.
    Dude, ____ off.

He's blamed the Trach.
    He's blamed the admin.
    He's blamed the meds.

The only thing left is blaming the players.
    Had no idea Turbine was a cultist.

Blog Entries

I said meds are NOT an excuse. They expose your true personality.

I said meds are NOT an excuse. They expose your true personality.
    You are right, wasn't necessarily directed just at you but others on here who are still excusing his behavior.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    He's blamed the Trach.
    He's blamed the admin.
    He's blamed the meds.

The only thing left is blaming the players.
    Had no idea Turbine was a cultist.
    I didn't "blame" any of the 3.

I explained how communication changes with a tracheotomy. I did not excuse behavior, it is the tracheotomy individual who needs to learn other ways to compensate communication wise. Physical cues that do not involve hands on notifiers.

Without a doubt this is ridiculous.

For all the hype the man only won 1 WCWS game

Agree 100% with your last sentence, but I have read enough to make an educated guess on the subject. I do not need a jury or judge to tell me who is in the wrong in this, but that's just me.
    No, you have read enough to formulate an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is that the brand coach Lotief is using?

Page 60 of 107 FirstFirst ... 50 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 70 ... LastLast