Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Softball Program

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Mike and this softball team put UL in the positive spotlight year in and year out. We spend about as much time on ESPN and ESPN 2 with softball than we do with any other program. They have a following, they make money, they are one of the only teams we have that are realistically capable of winning a D1 National Championship. The Lotiefs and their program are more important to this school and this community than many realize. It's far more than money.
    That doesn't give him free reign...as basin has said....let's let the situation play out...

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    How do you know he isn't right?
    Right about what exactly? That's the thing about the lawyers's statement. It moves the goalposts and changes the narrative. Notice how it doesn't say anything about WHY he was placed on leave, nor does it claim UL was wrong to place him on leave.

All it does is try to paint him as a martyr for women's rights. And for all I know his grievances are legit. But he evidently crossed a line.

This is kinda like the equivelant of stabbing a protester at a white supremacist rally and saying "I'm in jail beciase I stood up for equality." No, that's not why you're in jail. And I promise you Lotief didn't get placed on leave for "standing up for women's rights."

Default Re: Softball Program

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    I'm going to post this one more time.....wait until you get both sides of this deal before taking sides in this.....if there is any one side to take....
    Your advice is right on but I doubt that we will get much more info through official channels than what we now have. Hope I'm wrong. The university has always stated that they don't comment on personnel issues and who knows what else Coach Lotief or his lawyer might share about the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Can you testify that Lotief is a saint around the facilities/teams?
    Never claimed that I could. I was just replying to someone who was claiming that he was doing this strictly for PR reasons, without a shred of evidence. I have no evidence one way or the other about his motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Right about what exactly? That's the thing about the lawyers's statement. It moves the goalposts and changes the narrative. Notice how it doesn't say anything about WHY he was placed on leave, nor does it claim UL was wrong to place him on leave.

This is kinda like the equivelant of stabbing a protester at a white supremacist rally and saying "I'm in jail beciase I stood up for equality." No, that's not why you're in jail. And I promise you Lotief didn't get placed on leave for "standing up for women's rights."
    Everything here, right now, is speculation. Nothing more. That's about all I know.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    Never claimed that I could. I was just replying to someone who was claiming that he was doing this strictly for PR reasons, without a shred of evidence. I have no evidence one way or the other about his motivation.
    We don't have evidence about what happened, and I'm not commenting on what happened. I'm only speaking about the public statement. Every public statement ever made in history was released for PR reasons.

Again, Lotief is a damn treasure to this athletic department. and it would be horrible if we lost him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    And that does nothing for the UL athletic department bank account... sorry.
    Don't be sorry.

For every dollar put into softball the equal dollar put into football leads to less awareness.

If increased, there is point where this ceases to be true. But as of right now the money spent on softball is doing more good for the University than the same amount spent on football.

It's not even close.

Actions on both sides leave a bit to be desired.
    My support of athletics is waning.
    Crapfest.

Seems like a basic necessities request for starting workouts...get the Coach some HELP!!! This didn't happen over night...Do NOT lose this program...

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Gotta disagree.

You really think lightning will strike THREE times for Cajun softball to get a third elite coach? You think that there is another elite softball coach out there who loves Acadiana and the Cajun softball program enough to choose UL over other higher (much) paying universities?
    ....Think Ms Habetz takes it promptly!!!

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    She's making more as an assistant at Alabama than Mike makes as a head coach here. I don't see her coming unless her main concern is being closer to family and not salary.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We can't afford her

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    She's making more as an assistant at Alabama than Mike makes as a head coach here. I don't see her coming unless her main concern is being closer to family and not salary.
    .........Ding Ding Ding.....family, head job, alma mater, true love of the area vs bucks!!!

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

.........Ding Ding Ding.....family, head job, alma mater, true love of the area vs bucks!!!
    Uh huh.....

I would pray for a solution to this problem more than the Ding Ding Ding solution..

Basin is right, let this play out. May be nothing, may be a lot more to the story which we probably would never know.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    You're wrong...ul softball is a nationally recognized program and brand. Its probably along with baseball, the only 2 programs at ul that are known and RESPECTED nationally...football? Hardly..basketball..nope. Lotief would do this job for free, he's made his "pretty good deal" with less than u could imagine...
    You are correct it is the most recognized by those who pay attention to softball. Which is a very small number of people in the grand scheme of things. Because 95% of college fans don't give a rats @$$ about softball. The casual sports fan around the nation knows more of who the ragin Cajuns are because of the TV appearances in football.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXCajun View Post
    Is there a way to direct RCAF contributions to specific programs?
    You can make RCAF donations to any sport you choose. Your points total will be less. 1 point for every $100 in general fund verses 1 point for every $200 in sport specific donation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    You are correct it is the most recognized by those who pay attention to softball. Which is a very small number of people in the grand scheme of things. Because 95% of college fans don't give a rats @$$ about softball. The casual sports fan around the nation knows more of who the ragin Cajuns are because of the TV appearances in football.
    5% sounds close to correct, but low.

We all know Softball garners a largely unique audience with some overlap.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Basin is right, let this play out. May be nothing, may be a lot more to the story which we probably would never know.
    Not that I disagree with you... but it will "play out" regardless of the discussion on this forum. A credit to your last point... this is an inside squabble. And we will get no direct information from the university. What Mike put out via his attorney was his personally scripted message to the public (with fans, players, recruits in mind).

I hope this simmers down... with Mike and the university finding a resolution. What we will hear is that the university and Mike have sat down and worked this out... or that Mike has resigned.

The issues or non issues regarding the fairness of the treatment of softball versus football (or other) can be haggled by our fans for as long as they wish to do it.

I used to be concerned about Title IX... and producing athletic fairness between the two genders. But I was told the other day that there's a gender continuum now. I don't think we have enough Roman numerals for it. For athletics... it sounds very expensive. Can you imagine what the Michael Lotief will be like... coaching the gender continuum athletes? "Mow the grass... leave it long... go with turf... pierce it... color it blue... color it pink... mow it... no let it grow out... ... ...".

Page 4 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast