Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we just get both for one game???

Default Can we just get both for one game???

Why does our defense show up one game and not the offense, then the offense shows up and the defense blows it. Does it seem to everyone that we are never level on both sides of the ball (other than terrible sometimes)? Can I see a complete game where the O and the D play at a high level or is that beyond our HC's ability.

Default Re: Can we just get both for one game???

We had 367 yards on 65 plays (5.6 yards per play), scored 24 points, and won by 17

We were 6-14 on 3rd down and zero turnovers.

Defense allowed 7 points and forced 3 turnovers

Which one are you not happy with?

I did not like the fact we took the foot off the gas .. We should have hung 50 on them

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I did not like the fact we took the foot off the gas .. We should have hung 50 on them
    Exactly, they could have been up 4 scores in the first half. Then could have rotated more people in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    We had 367 yards on 65 plays (5.6 yards per play), scored 24 points, and won by 17

The offense was definitely an enigma in the middle part of the game. After a hot start, we literally went zone read for like 3 straight drives. If we were playing a better offensive team yesterday, they could have made us pay dearly. The announcers were beyond themselves after we started so hot mixing up our pass/run calls and stretching the defense deep in the middle of the field we all of a sudden stopped.

The coaches almost want to get a lead and go into a shell offense. Its infuriating. We were up 14-0 and they decided they wanted to ride Ragas and run clock out. I don't think it was our offensive players as much as it was just a general overall philosophy and approach once we got the lead.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Texas St was no threat to beat us. They are downright putrid. We aren't good by any stretch, but we're better than them.

Yup. Should have had wipe the field with them the first half, crushing any fantasy they had of winning. Game should had never gotten to a one score game.

Just my opinion, but this is a team that was 2-3 coming into this game.

And left the field 3-3 with a 17 point victory.

Yes, the offense bogged down in the middle part of the game, but it was really good early and solid late

Would we be more happy had we struggled early and scored late? Or scored on the opening drive, struggled for a couple series, then scored again?

I'm in agreement that a coaching change probably needs to be made, but I guess my question is...if we can't be pleased with a 17 point win, in a game that we were favored to win, but by less than that, is there anything that we can be pleased with the rest of this season?

I think any expectation of this team beating anybody more soundly than we beat Texas St last night, is setting yourself up for huge disappointment

I'm definitely pleased with the win. We all know that, had this been last year, we probably would've lost this game and been 2-4 going into stAte. But like the other posters, what bugs me is having the offense basically sit out the 2nd and 3rd quarters. We hung 24 points in half a game. I know not every game is perfect, but think about what we can do if we keep on trucking the entire game. We might have even been able to rest Nunez and get Gautreaux and other subs in for a few series. Wouldn't hurt.

Besides, this is an Internet fan board. Comments like "Meh, that was good enough" aren't going to cut it.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

There are some other reasons you take a lead and then turn the burners up... not down.

1) Recruiting - you show recruits that you're more than just another SBC program.
    2) Fans - you can rally some fans by putting on an offensive fireworks show.
    3) Experience - QBs and WRs need the reps gained in games like this (for future preparation).
    4) Team Confidence - Let the dog eat when he can eat.
    5) Common Sense - you never hang around in a fight - you knock the opponent out - you never know when they may find another level. Take the kill shot every time.

Perhaps the game plan going in was run the ball, control the clock and keep the defense off the field as much as possible. This is not a bad plan, the problem is we were hitting the big plays early, their DBs looked lost. Once we were up Hud stuck to his original script, handcuffing Nunez. I am a firm believer in going with your hot hands and never looking back. Hud loves sticking to the script, that only works for so long.

Glad we won, defense is improving and that is what we needed the most. Hopefully it gives us some confidence going up to Jonesboro, we will need it. Now that defense is showing up we need to let Nunez fly....but of course we have been saying this for a couple of years now....

Blog Entries

Just my opinion, but this is a team that was 2-3 coming into this game.

And left the field 3-3 with a 17 point victory.

Yes, the offense bogged down in the middle part of the game, but it was really good early and solid late

Would we be more happy had we struggled early and scored late? Or scored on the opening drive, struggled for a couple series, then scored again?

I'm in agreement that a coaching change probably needs to be made, but I guess my question is...if we can't be pleased with a 17 point win, in a game that we were favored to win, but by less than that, is there anything that we can be pleased with the rest of this season?

I think any expectation of this team beating anybody more soundly than we beat Texas St last night, is setting yourself up for huge disappointment
    I think you nailed it although I could see Hudspeth finding a way to win 6 games with the poor teams in this conference to save his job. I don't have any confidence or expectation that he will do so with this team, but it's certainly possible.

The first two offensive possessions of the game were crisp and executed well. After the first two possessions, they seem to loose their energy and the play was not well executed and sloppy at times.

Defensively we created turnovers and pressured the QB, but let's remember Jones is a true freshman and a very good one at that, and at times his indecision cost them on offense. What was concerning defensively is that a true freshman beat us deep twice last night on go routes and we couldn't play assignment football on the QB running the football. It was very similar to the Monroe game at times and that was a step backwards in my opinion.

As you said, it's a win and I will take it. But, that is in my opinion the worst football team in the Sun Belt Conference this year. We will need to be much better next week in Jonesboro to have a shot at Arkansas State. I'm still not sure what to expect from this team considering we beat two bottom teams in the Sun Belt that past two weeks.

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I hear what many are saying and I get it. It would have been nice to put up more points and we were certainly in the stands in the 2nd and 3rd quarter thinking "what plays are these?" "Why are you not throttling these guys?" Fans want to crush opposing teams and be entertained in the process. Score on every play on offense and sack other QB or turn the other team over each play on defense. However, a 17 point win when you were favored by 14 isn't bad.

I was asking myself this-I wanted to see more scoring, but still wanted to win by the margin we did. What would that look like if we scored more points, but still only won by 17?

31-14. 38-21. 44-27.

It's a double edged sword. The defense only gave up 7 and that's encouraging. I think had given up 20+ against a bad TXST offense averaging just over 14 points a game and many would be saying our defensive improvements were fools gold.

It's a win, it puts us at .500, it is our second in as many weeks and it feels real good right now.

Putting Dion Ray on 3rd & 4th down should be a fireable offense that was just stupid

The O did nothing from the 2nd possession until the fourth quarter. Ark st would kicked our @$$ last night.

Blog Entries

2nd and 3rd Q mode didn't surprise.

This is the staff that traded all the momentum and Goal to Win from the 1, for momentum from the 25.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I hear what many are saying and I get it. It would have been nice to put up more points and we were certainly in the stands in the 2nd and 3rd quarter thinking "what plays are these?" "Why are you not throttling these guys?" Fans want to crush opposing teams and be entertained in the process. Score on every play on offense and sack other QB or turn the other team over each play on defense. However, a 17 point win when you were favored by 14 isn't bad.

I was asking myself this-I wanted to see more scoring, but still wanted to win by the margin we did. What would that look like if we scored more points, but still only won by 17?

31-14. 38-21. 44-27.

It's a double edged sword. The defense only gave up 7 and that's encouraging. I think had given up 20+ against a bad TXST offense averaging just over 14 points a game and many would be saying our defensive improvements were fools gold.

It's a win, it puts us at .500, it is our second in as many weeks and it feels real good right now.
    I think the playing it safe offense and Nunez handcuffing is what is ____ing most off. Same ole Hud.

Blog Entries

Putting Dion Ray on 3rd & 4th down should be a fireable offense that was just stupid
    That's Hudspeth's decision. That formation with Ray was in the offense before Hall came to this program and used last season.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    That's Hudspeth's decision. That formation with Ray was in the offense before Hall came to this program and used last season.
    I know.. that sould be cause right there

I saw that the QB was from Silsbee (near Beaumont). I wonder if we looked at him.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think you nailed it although I could see Hudspeth finding a way to win 6 games with the poor teams in this conference to save his job. I don't have any confidence or expectation that he will do so with this team, but it's certainly possible.

The first two offensive possessions of the game were crisp and executed well. After the first two possessions, they seem to loose their energy and the play was not well executed and sloppy at times.

Defensively we created turnovers and pressured the QB, but let's remember Jones is a true freshman and a very good one at that, and at times his indecision cost them on offense. What was concerning defensively is that a true freshman beat us deep twice last night on go routes and we couldn't play assignment football on the QB running the football. It was very similar to the Monroe game at times and that was a step backwards in my opinion.

As you said, it's a win and I will take it. But, that is in my opinion the worst football team in the Sun Belt Conference this year. We will need to be much better next week in Jonesboro to have a shot at Arkansas State. I'm still not sure what to expect from this team considering we beat two bottom teams in the Sun Belt that past two weeks.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast