_ _ _ _
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 273

Thread: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Ideally, students leave school with the ability to think, not just blindly follow the pack. Ideally, they learn that others have their own ideas and they can discuss those ideas without being called libtard, GOPazi, snowflake, etc. Ideally, they leave understanding that if your argument begins with denigration, you've already lost. Ideally, they graduate equipped to make the world a better place than the one they entered, for everyone. Ideally.


  2. #162
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    That is wackadoodle. Nearly as wackadoodle as teaching there are more than two genders.

    Wackadoodle is fun to type.
    Not sure what you mean by gender but you could research Klinefelter's and Turners syndromes. Interesting stuff.

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Actually, we do have a decent idea of what they are teaching. The curriculum in colleges aren't nearly as strict as in high schools, but they still exist. Before a professor teaches a course the syllabus, textbooks, teaching materials, etc. need to be approved by department chairs and state education boards, not to mention oversight from accreditation organizations. This institutional oversight keeps professors from going rogue and teaching wackadoodle things, even if they hold some wackadoodle beliefs.

    Again, the problem with Liberty is that their wackadoodle beliefs are institutionalized. It is hard to overstate just how wackadoodle it is to say the earth is only 6,000 years old and how it ruins so much of their credibility as a university.
    6,000 is nuts its not Bible based.

    Semi knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous, but 6,000 is not dangerous.

    UL's Professor Whitmire and his Planet X theories in the wrong hands (minds) can be dangerous.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    6,000 is nuts its not Bible based.

    Semi knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous, but 6,000 is not dangerous.

    UL's Professor Whitmire and his Planet X theories in the wrong hands (minds) can be dangerous.
    Adding up the ages in the Bible gets you to about 6500 years. Teaching that as science IS dangerous.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Right now the state of California passed a law that you could be jailed for not using a person's preferred gender pronoun. Should we avoid playing any schools from California because they are insane?


  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Ideally, students leave school with the ability to think, not just blindly follow the pack. Ideally, they learn that others have their own ideas and they can discuss those ideas without being called libtard, GOPazi, snowflake, etc. Ideally, they leave understanding that if your argument begins with denigration, you've already lost. Ideally, they graduate equipped to make the world a better place than the one they entered, for everyone. Ideally.
    Good post.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Serious question. If you determine gender by chromosomes, what gender is a person whose genetic makeup is XO, XXX, XYY or XXY?

    I'm not sure about the CA law, but that sounds ridiculous. Of course there are a plethora of ridiculous laws around the country.


  8. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Right now the state of California passed a law that you could be jailed for not using a person's preferred gender pronoun. Should we avoid playing any schools from California because they are insane?
    You're talking about a political issue here. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

    More whataboutism.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Ideally, students leave school with the ability to think, not just blindly follow the pack. Ideally, they learn that others have their own ideas and they can discuss those ideas without being called libtard, GOPazi, snowflake, etc. Ideally, they leave understanding that if your argument begins with denigration, you've already lost. Ideally, they graduate equipped to make the world a better place than the one they entered, for everyone. Ideally.
    Since this thread is about Liberty....do you think they have a particular monopoly on preventing that from happening? There are colleges all over that can't abide having a conservative speaker on campus. Schools that have "free speech zones", as if the whole country isn't already one of those. There are many schools now where if your views don't fall in line with the current liberal dogma you are silenced. Should we not play those schools in football either? Since they don't, by any means, do what you described above. Why is Liberty's particular brand of insanity worse than these others?

    Genuine question. Where does our judgment of an acceptable football opponent stop?

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    You're talking about a political issue here. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion.

    More whataboutism.
    It is completely relevant. What they are doing is insane. And totalitarian. And much of it is originated and propagated from the universities there. Why would we want to associate our university with it? It's EXACTLY the same. It's just not YOUR pet issue.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    That is wackadoodle. Nearly as wackadoodle as teaching there are more than two genders.

    Wackadoodle is fun to type.
    Those are perfectly fine with him. You will never hear him speak out about those, just those wackadoodle religious institutions. 🚻

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Adding up the ages in the Bible gets you to about 6500 years. Teaching that as science IS dangerous.
    I can easily be swayed by the danger application, even though I don't need one to know 6,000 is inaccurate.

    "Day" is an indeterminate period of time "in my day" that was so.

    I have a short attention span but even a cursory reading as far as Genesis 1:2 shows that Earth was already in existence prior the epic periods.

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,547
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    It is completely relevant. What they are doing is insane. And totalitarian. And much of it is originated and propagated from the universities there. Why would we want to associate our university with it? It's EXACTLY the same. It's just not YOUR pet issue.
    You are correct, that is why our President doesn't care what his peers in the SBC think. Like them, he doesn't believe in diversity of thought, just in diversity of skin color.

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    It is completely relevant. What they are doing is insane. And totalitarian. And much of it is originated and propagated from the universities there. Why would we want to associate our university with it? It's EXACTLY the same. It's just not YOUR pet issue.
    So what exactly is your claim here so we can be clear? That every single university in California lobbied the Ca. state legislature to pass a law that throws citizens in jail for using an incorrect pronoun?

    Do you have a source that any of this actually happened?

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    So what exactly is your claim here so we can be clear? That every single university in California lobbied the Ca. state legislature to pass a law that throws citizens in jail for using an incorrect pronoun?

    Do you have a source that any of this actually happened?
    My claim is that it is that you are suggesting we use something besides athletic standing to choose a football opponent. In this case you are suggesting that their views on creation are so out of wack that we shouldn't associate our university with the school. I'm saying that that could be applied all sorts of ways. FOR INSTANCE we could say that the University of California won't allow honest debate on campus...no football, you guys are totalitarians. Or we won't play ANY public schools from California because the state passes unconstitutional laws restricting freedom. We don't want to be associated with that.

    OR we could pick our football opponents from the pool of NCAA approved member schools based on how they can help our program grow. Now on that basis, I don't particularly want to play Liberty. But to not want to play them because of some foolish theories being taught....that's a pretty slippery slope.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Those are perfectly fine with him. You will never hear him speak out about those, just those wackadoodle religious institutions. 🚻
    I can obviously speak for myself, thanks.

    I don't have a clue what he means by "teaching more than two genders." Biologically speaking, no matter how you want to measure gender, not everyone fits neatly into two male and female boxes. Some people have both parts down there. Some people have female parts but male levels of testosterone. Some people have "male" chromosomes and "female" chromosomes.

    So I'm honestly not sure what he means by that, because technically it is correct to say there are more than two possible genders.

    I had no idea y'all were so interested in biology.

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Serious question. If you determine gender by chromosomes, what gender is a person whose genetic makeup is XO, XXX, XYY or XXY?

    .
    Does every mixmatch abnormallity of chromosomes create a new gender?

  18. #178
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I can obviously speak for myself, thanks.

    I don't have a clue what he means by "teaching more than two genders." Biologically speaking, no matter how you want to measure gender, not everyone fits neatly into two male and female boxes. Some people have both parts down there. Some people have female parts but male levels of testosterone. Some people have "male" chromosomes and "female" chromosomes.

    So I'm honestly not sure what he means by that, because technically it is correct to say there are more than two possible genders.

    I had no idea y'all were so interested in biology.
    There are males and females. There are biological abnormalities contained within both. To accept or teach that there are dozens upon dozens of actual genders is insanity, at least at the level of teaching that the earth is 6000 years old. Hell this character thinks varying levels of testosterone constitutes a gender variation. Good grief.

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Ugh, I mean just...UGH!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

    So I'm honestly not sure what he means by that, because technically it is correct to say there are more than two possible genders.
    No there are not, gender is defined by reproductive role. If I cannot have kids am I a new gender?

    Non traditional does not require a new gender.

    When did designated gender become this pearl in biology while in language we have to speak genderless?

  20. #180
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    My claim is that it is that you are suggesting we use something besides athletic standing to choose a football opponent. In this case you are suggesting that their views on creation are so out of wack that we shouldn't associate our university with the school. I'm saying that that could be applied all sorts of ways. FOR INSTANCE we could say that the University of California won't allow honest debate on campus...no football, you guys are totalitarians. Or we won't play ANY public schools from California because the state passes unconstitutional laws restricting freedom. We don't want to be associated with that.

    OR we could pick our football opponents from the pool of NCAA approved member schools based on how they can help our program grow. Now on that basis, I don't particularly want to play Liberty. But to not want to play them because of some foolish theories being taught....that's a pretty slippery slope.
    To be clear, I never said we shouldn't play them. I'm fine with playing them. I said university presidents don't want them in their conferences because of their wackadoodle beliefs. (Yes, it is fun to say wackadoodle.)

    Does the University of California (the institution) really not allow free speech on campus? From this quick google search they seem to have a clear policy on allowing it. http://sa.berkeley.edu/free-speech

    And you still haven't explained to me which university lobbied the ca legislature to unconstitutionally throw people in jail for saying the wrong pronoun.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •