Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tom Petty

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: RIP Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The greatest song ever was the remake of " While My Guitar Gently Weeps." for the Rock, & Roll hall of fame dedication to George Harrison with Tom Petty doing vocals.

And yes the 70s had the greatest music ever. But it also had some of the worst music ever. What made it so great was that it actually had music.
    If you could remove disco from the 70's, it wouldn't be a discussion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    If you could remove disco from the 70's, it wouldn't be a discussion.
    It wasn't part of the discussion as far as I can tell. We were talking Rock & Roll, not any other music genre.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Yes them and Sam cook, the drifters, the platters, bobby Darin, buddy holly....... I could go on..... then the Motown sound came along in the 60s. All much better than anything in the 70s.
    Clearly you are from a different generation. So there is no wrong, just a matter of taste. My mother graduated from HS in the 50's, so she played her vinyls often when I was very young. Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash....etc. So I have a good understanding of who those artist were from that era.

I have an older brother, he was a 60's child and always blasting his speakers around the house. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, CCR, The Who, the Birds, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin....etc. I definitely was influenced by many artist from that era.

The 70's may have not been up to that measure, but the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ TOP, REO, Boston, Van Halen, Lynard Skynard, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers and others are in pretty darn good company when it comes to my generation.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Clearly you are from a different generation. So there is no wrong, just a matter of taste. My mother graduated from HS in the 50's, so she played her vinyls often when I was very young. Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash....etc. So I have a good understanding of who those artist were from that era.

I have an older brother, he was a 60's child and always blasting his speakers around the house. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, CCR, The Who, the Birds, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin....etc. I definitely was influenced by many artist from that era.

The 70's may have not been up to that measure, but the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ TOP, REO, Boston, Van Halen, Lynard Skynard, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers and others are in pretty darn good company when it comes to my generation.
    Reo Speedwagon and Van Halen are def 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    And def should not be in the same discussion as the other bands T mentioned....

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I cannot force you to be right or have good taste in music. Mid 50s until the Beatles got stoned was the best music ever made. Then the 80s came along and got us out of late 60s and 70s. Then music died somewhere in the 90s. Just one old farts opinion.
    This hands down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    REO had albums 1972,73,76,77,78. Van Halen's first two albums I & II were in 1978 and 1979. You could say they reached their greatest success in the 80's as like REO, but both bands began in the 70's with good albums.

The greatest song ever was the remake of " While My Guitar Gently Weeps." for the Rock, & Roll hall of fame dedication to George Harrison with Tom Petty doing vocals.

And yes the 70s had the greatest music ever. But it also had some of the worst music ever. What made it so great was that it actually had music.
    What a random thread for a BWK appearance!

50's-rock was invented....so it was great due to it's newness, but suffered from not being fully formed
    60's-rock hits it's stride. Great bands, defining the genre, then re-inventing it over and over. Just a ridiculous amount of incredible music
    70's-era of essentially virtuoso, nearly perfect practitioners of what is now a 20 year old genre. Think Zeppelin, Eagles, Almond Brothers. These are bands composed of supernaturally talented musicians. Along with that came some stagnation and maybe less new development... less innovation maybe? Lot's of 70s rock sounds alike.
    80's-the stagnation of the 70s explodes with the development of punk rock, and "rock" itself splits into many, many permutations. I mean is there even really a single thing called "rock" anymore?

It wasn't part of the discussion as far as I can tell. We were talking Rock & Roll, not any other music genre.
    Understood. Just noting that this is the reason many folks downgraded the 70's as a great rock & roll decade.

Blog Entries

Understood. Just noting that this is the reason many folks downgraded the 70's as a great rock & roll decade.
    Which is why so many don't recall or realize the quality of Rock music from that era.

Where does Prince's guitar go at the end?!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Where does Prince's guitar go at the end?!
    Pretty sure a roadie caught it behind him at the end of the video.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    I agree with your comment but I strongly believe that if you take a poll on the best decade of music, the 70s wins by a landslide.
    Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Chopin would like a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Mozart, Bach, Beethoven and Chopin would like a word with you.
    He meant the 1770's

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    He meant the 1770's
    Oh... my bad. Those guys were crazy fun to hang out with!

Blog Entries

50's-rock was invented....so it was great due to it's newness, but suffered from not being fully formed
    60's-rock hits it's stride. Great bands, defining the genre, then re-inventing it over and over. Just a ridiculous amount of incredible music
    70's-era of essentially virtuoso, nearly perfect practitioners of what is now a 20 year old genre. Think Zeppelin, Eagles, Almond Brothers. These are bands composed of supernaturally talented musicians. Along with that came some stagnation and maybe less new development... less innovation maybe? Lot's of 70s rock sounds alike.
    80's-the stagnation of the 70s explodes with the development of punk rock, and "rock" itself splits into many, many permutations. I mean is there even really a single thing called "rock" anymore?
    Decent overview, but I would say lots of 90's rock sounds alike to me. Especially the west coast Seattle area grunge rock and California.

Blog Entries

No. I hate that certain supposed subgenres of rock and roll are referred to as rock at all. It's almost like every band that uses the electric guitar considers their music a form of rock.

I still maintain the music most people consider "the greatest rock music ever" is directly tied to the drugs that exceptionally gifted singers, song writers, and musicians used in the 60s and 70s.

Decent overview, but I would say lots of 90's rock sounds alike to me. Especially the west coast Seattle area grunge rock and California.
    I stopped at the 80s because after that I don't think there is a thing called "rock" anymore that means the same music to everyone. It's just too fractured.

I liked the grunge movement when it hit....it kicked the same old same old hair music to the curb as the predominant form of heavy rock. But you are right, it became very copy cat very quick.

By no means am I downplaying the greatness of 70s rock. There is just a huge body of it that all sounds like the same band. But there are also were so many GREAT bands. Well refined sound, fantastic musicians, etc. If was stuck on a desert island with a catalog of rock music from only one decade, I'd probably have to go with the 70s. But that's largely personal taste.

I am an old fart in my upper 40s. The first 10 yrs of life was the 70s. 80s through middle school to college. My dad turned me on to 50s music growing up grilling on the patio. I didn't live it but I witnessed the 70s until today. 50s early 60s imo best music EVER made. Wish I coulda been at the sock hop.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast