Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tom Petty

Default Re: RIP Tom Petty

I was always creeped out by the "Don't Come Around Here No More" video on MTV as a kid.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Let's keep the party goin'.....

Petty did everything he wanted in music. Such an authentic artist. Hoping Sirius XM keeps his station going. RIP Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDRa8FDL2ts

Lets not forget his acting

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

An appropriate song.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    LOL!!! Every generation thinks their music is the best, I'm certainly with you on this one. Tom Petty lived a hard life, so there is no surprise he has passed away at age 66. But his music will endure!

RIP Tom Petty
    I agree with your comment but I strongly believe that if you take a poll on the best decade of music, the 70s wins by a landslide.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    I agree with your comment but I strongly believe that if you take a poll on the best decade of music, the 70s wins by a landslide.
    You have got to be kidding 70s and 90s 2 of the worst. 50s very early 60s, and 80s way better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    You have got to be kidding 70s and 90s 2 of the worst. 50s very early 60s, and 80s way better.
    That depends upon your taste, but the 70's produced some the top selling LP's of all time. Early 50's? No!

That depends upon your taste, but the 70's produced some the top selling LP's of all time. Early 50's? No!
    I cannot force you to be right or have good taste in music. Mid 50s until the Beatles got stoned was the best music ever made. Then the 80s came along and got us out of late 60s and 70s. Then music died somewhere in the 90s. Just one old farts opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I cannot force you to be right or have good taste in music. Mid 50s until the Beatles got stoned was the best music ever made. Then the 80s came along and got us out of late 60s and 70s. Then music died somewhere in the 90s. Just one old farts opinion.
    The Beatles were the Silver Beatles in the early 50's and hardly a historical band. The Rolling Stones came along later. So are you talking about Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Johnny Cash and others? The 50's were indeed historical when it came to major influences to the 60's and 70's, but hardly the era of great rock bands.

Blog Entries

The Beatles were the Silver Beatles in the early 50's and hardly a historical band. The Rolling Stones came along later. So are you talking about Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Johnny Cash and others? The 50's were indeed historical when it came to major influences to the 60's and 70's, but hardly the era of great rock bands.

The greatest song ever was the remake of " While My Guitar Gently Weeps." for the Rock, & Roll hall of fame dedication to George Harrison with Tom Petty doing vocals.

And yes the 70s had the greatest music ever. But it also had some of the worst music ever. What made it so great was that it actually had music.

Yes them and Sam cook, the drifters, the platters, bobby Darin, buddy holly....... I could go on..... then the Motown sound came along in the 60s. All much better than anything in the 70s.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    The greatest song ever was the remake of " While My Guitar Gently Weeps." for the Rock, & Roll hall of fame dedication to George Harrison with Tom Petty doing vocals.

And yes the 70s had the greatest music ever. But it also had some of the worst music ever. What made it so great was that it actually had music.
    The influence of specific drugs in the 60s and 70s on the creativity in music... by musicians... as many studies have cited... is overwhelming. The types of drugs that uncapped great music... also led to some very odd creations. But it untapped some serious musical creativity. Many of the greatest song lyrics of the 60s and 70s were the direct result of hallucinogens. But it requires a powerful musical mind for those drugs to tap into to produce masterpieces. I'm a big fan of the music of the 60s and 70s. But it was the clash of great artistic capability being unleashed by drugs. Even those that didn't use drugs admitted the influence of those on drugs for their most creative work.

I don't think, however, there's a generous amount of music creation to be had by modern musicians using hallucinogenic drugs. It's kind of like math and physics. The great minds of the 16th and 17th century did most of the heavy lifting. The rest of everyone is just stacking on top of those great works.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast