Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: RIP Tom Petty

Blog Entries

Default Re: RIP Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I am an old fart in my upper 40s. The first 10 yrs of life was the 70s. 80s through middle school to college. My dad turned me on to 50s music growing up grilling on the patio. I didn't live it but I witnessed the 70s until today. 50s early 60s imo best music EVER made. Wish I coulda been at the sock hop.
    LOL!!! Old fart at upper 40's? I'm a little older, but I just don't see myself listening to the smooth sounds of Johnny Cash over AC/DC. But I certainly won't haggle with anyone that does enjoy him. It's funny, my oldest attended a private HS and on t-shirt day you could tell who were the offspring of parents that grew up rockers, they were all wearing Ozzy, Zeppelin, Rush and ZZ Top shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    LOL!!! Old fart at upper 40's? I'm a little older, but I just don't see myself listening to the smooth sounds of Johnny Cash over AC/DC. But I certainly won't haggle with anyone that does enjoy him. It's funny, my oldest attended a private HS and on t-shirt day you could tell who were the offspring of parents that grew up rockers, they were all wearing Ozzy, Zeppelin, Rush and ZZ Top shirts.
    Two weeks ago my 5th grader wore my wife's Motörhead shirt and my 14 year old wore my Chili Peppers shirt to school t shirt day... 😃

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Clearly you are from a different generation. So there is no wrong, just a matter of taste. My mother graduated from HS in the 50's, so she played her vinyls often when I was very young. Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Patsy Cline, Johnny Cash....etc. So I have a good understanding of who those artist were from that era.

I have an older brother, he was a 60's child and always blasting his speakers around the house. The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, CCR, The Who, the Birds, Alice Cooper, David Bowie, Thin Lizzy, Led Zeppelin....etc. I definitely was influenced by many artist from that era.

The 70's may have not been up to that measure, but the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, ZZ TOP, REO, Boston, Van Halen, Lynard Skynard, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers and others are in pretty darn good company when it comes to my generation.
    ........and where is mention of the greatest of all??? Ray Charles....Ray at Newport Jazz Fest is the best album ever....all Google for homework....and his Night time is the right time starts with his intro on the sax!!!

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Two weeks ago my 5th grader wore my wife's Motörhead shirt and my 14 year old wore my Chili Peppers shirt to school t shirt day... 😃
    respect

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    respect

She's a cool chick....

Blog Entries

This is so COOL Re: RIP Tom Petty

REO had albums 1972,73,76,77,78. Van Halen's first two albums I & II were in 1978 and 1979. You could say they reached their greatest success in the 80's as like REO, but both bands began in the 70's with good albums.
    The only REO speed wagon album that matters is Hi Infidelity when did that come out? Both are known for what they did in the 80s.

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    The only REO speed wagon album that matters is Hi Infidelity when did that come out? Both are known for what they did in the 80s.
    If that's the only you think that matters then you're missing out on a lot of good music. You should look into their 70's releases. Great music. Try 1978s You Can Tune a Piano but Can't Tuna Fish.

Early Genesis
    Pink Floyd
    Lynnard Skynard
    Neil Young
    Led Zeppelin
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Cat Stevens
    Creedence
    Fleetwood Mac
    Clapton
    Robin Trower
    Elton John
    Steve Miller
    Yes
    ELO
    Blue oyster cult
    Moody Blues
    Frank Zappa
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Eagles......
    Yep the 70's were the lean years
    ....side note
    Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album stayed on Billboards Top LPs chart for 741 weeks!

There's great music in every decade since the invention of recorded music. If you want to only listen to music from one decade you are going to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    There's great music in every decade since the invention of recorded music. If you want to only listen to music from one decade you are going to miss out.
    Still good rock music made today you just have to go and find it, it is rarely played on FM radio.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    Agree..... great music to be found.
    Favorites to listen to now ..... Gram Parsons (my new discovery of a great musician of 60's ) and Porcupine Tree (a discovery of something more contemporary)

Everyone, do yourself a favor and buy tickets to Tedeschi Trucks Band concert in February at Heymann Center.

GREAT guitarist with about 12 person band behind him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    If that's the only you think that matters then you're missing out on a lot of good music. You should look into their 70's releases. Great music. Try 1978s You Can Tune a Piano but Can't Tuna Fish.
    Yep, he clearly loves the 80's but there was plenty of good music from REO in the 70's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Early Genesis
    Pink Floyd
    Lynnard Skynard
    Neil Young
    Led Zeppelin
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Cat Stevens
    Creedence
    Fleetwood Mac
    Clapton
    Robin Trower
    Elton John
    Steve Miller
    Yes
    ELO
    Blue oyster cult
    Moody Blues
    Frank Zappa
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Eagles......
    ....side note
    Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album stayed on Billboards Top LPs chart for 741 weeks!
    Foreigner, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Aerosmith ....etc. The era just stunk.

Blog Entries

My first mega concert was in June of 1982 in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas!

The Texxas Jam (The Superbowl of Rock 'n Roll)
    Journey / Joan Jett and the Blackhearts / Loverboy / Foreigner / Santana / Ozzy Osbourne / Sammy Hagar

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddot View Post
    Early Genesis
    Pink Floyd
    Lynnard Skynard
    Neil Young
    Led Zeppelin
    Rush
    Jethro Tull
    Cat Stevens
    Creedence
    Fleetwood Mac
    Clapton
    Robin Trower
    Elton John
    Steve Miller
    Yes
    ELO
    Blue oyster cult
    Moody Blues
    Frank Zappa
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Eagles......
    ....side note
    Just like in math and physics... the heavy lifting was done in a collapsed time frame in the past. And there you have it with music. Those of us that lived through it aren't special. We just got to experience the greatest evolution of creative music ever. We need to humbly offer this to younger folks. I think they think we think we're special... because "it" was. It shouldn't become a contest. We all need to find ways to offer it to them... without taking credit. I know most of us are that way. But sometimes it looks like we think we're special... because it was... and it drives some young people away from experiencing it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4