Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Maggard, The Time is Now

Default Re: Dr. Maggard, The Time is Now

'The dog can bark at the moon all night long, but it doesn't become an issue until the moon barks back.'

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Would have been. We have zero idea what his tenure at Tulane wood have been. Didn't work for Curtis.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ........And For the pro or con of it.....he gets that because he would be at Tulane had that sum not been given.....think I am correct on this!!!
    You are close to being correct. Hud's contract was not out of line with his performance, our perception of it continuing and improving, and our program's vision at the time. It's easy to see the folly now... but 95% of those bellyaching about that "deal"... don't have accurate memories.

The product we purchased appeared to be a perfectly good one. In fact, this forum was far more concerned that a larger program would steal our product. The reality of it is... we had what seemed like a good product. We were blinded by a little success... we credited the product for that success and the much greater slingshot effect we thought the product, combined with our untapped value, would bring.

In our defense, the fine print was well hidden on the product. When you combine that with the pride we had in the product... the admiration we had for ourselves in coming up with the money... and moreso a willingness to spend that kind of money for such a perceived nice product... the deal in question is more on all of us... than on that product.

Buyer's remorse is a tough pill to swallow. Especially in the head coaching business.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hudspeth absolutely deserved the contract. He earned it. But Scott Farmer got prison raped on the buyout. Lesson learned.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Hudspeth absolutely deserved the contract. He earned it. But Scott Farmer got prison raped on the buyout. Lesson learned.
    We committed the cardinal sin for a G5 of trying to keep a coach from being poached. It NEVER works. All it does is breed complacency among the staff and keep a school from moving that coach out when the bottom falls out. Hud's buyout isn't the worst. Stockstill has a 5 mill buyout at MT. Ouch.

You reward your staff for success, but you should never do a huge buyout. It simply is not good business practice for a G5. Pay them what they deserve, more than other G5's, and keep the door open on the other side with a low buyout, and you'll develop a steady stream of talented young coaches to keep your program chugging along.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I'm not sure what we were up against at the time. I don't think anyone would have predicted that a program (and coach) that went 9-4 four years in a row was going to challenge that buyout. In fact, I wouldn't have been scared of that buyout at that time.

I would think UL learned something from this. And I hope it's something that benefits UL football. That is yet to be seen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We committed the cardinal sin for a G5 of trying to keep a coach from being poached. It NEVER works. All it does is breed complacency among the staff and keep a school from moving that coach out when the bottom falls out. Hud's buyout isn't the worst. Stockstill has a 5 mill buyout at MT. Ouch.

You reward your staff for success, but you should never do a huge buyout. It simply is not good business practice for a G5. Pay them what they deserve, more than other G5's, and keep the door open on the other side with a low buyout, and you'll develop a steady stream of talented young coaches to keep your program chugging along.
    We thought we snagged the next SEC head coach. We did not snag him with an aggressive contract. We retained him with an aggressive contract. Our fans insisted on it. The worry at the time of his rise with us was not about him failing and us eating a buyout. It was about losing him. And if/when that shoe slips on our foot again... we'll get just as emotionally confused.

I understand your concept of the future model for head coaches. Get the most talented up and comer... hope to keep them going with a reasonable market salary... avoiding an "unreasonable" buyout. Let the bigger programs snatch them if they intend to... and go find another up and comer. I don't have a problem with that model. But we had way more fans (and significant boosters) ready to bleed their bank accounts to avoid losing "the superstar" than we're willing to admit.

To act like the fan base was not a part of the "Making of a Murderous Contract" is false. It is only the results of the past 3 years that has the contract and the coach under this perfect 20/20 hindsight. Way more than the AD had a hand in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    We thought we snagged the next SEC head coach. We did not snag him with an aggressive contract. We retained him with an aggressive contract. Our fans insisted on it. The worry at the time of his rise with us was not about him failing and us eating a buyout. It was about losing him. And if/when that shoe slips on our foot again... we'll get just as emotionally confused.

I understand your concept of the future model for head coaches. Get the most talented up and comer... hope to keep them going with a reasonable market salary... avoiding an "unreasonable" buyout. Let the bigger programs snatch them if they intend to... and go find another up and comer. I don't have a problem with that model. But we had way more fans (and significant boosters) ready to bleed their bank accounts to avoid losing "the superstar" than we're willing to admit.

To act like the fan base was not a part of the "Making of a Murderous Contract" is false. It is only the results of the past 3 years that has the contract and the coach under this perfect 20/20 hindsight. Way more than the AD had a hand in this.
    Quit making so much sense! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    You are close to being correct. Hud's contract was not out of line with his performance, our perception of it continuing and improving, and our program's vision at the time. It's easy to see the folly now... but 95% of those bellyaching about that "deal"... don't have accurate memories.

The product we purchased appeared to be a perfectly good one. In fact, this forum was far more concerned that a larger program would steal our product. The reality of it is... we had what seemed like a good product. We were blinded by a little success... we credited the product for that success and the much greater slingshot effect we thought the product, combined with our untapped value, would bring.

In our defense, the fine print was well hidden on the product. When you combine that with the pride we had in the product... the admiration we had for ourselves in coming up with the money... and moreso a willingness to spend that kind of money for such a perceived nice product... the deal in question is more on all of us... than on that product.

Buyer's remorse is a tough pill to swallow. Especially in the head coaching business.
    We won't be the first, nor the last, school to pay a coach who has earned success and appears to be able to continue and build on such success, and later realize said coach isn't delivering.

It happens 50 miles down the road with an SEC school and a National Championship winning coach. Will it eventually happen with Michigan?

Happens all the time with pro players and pro teams.

The difference now is are we going to be proactive in realizing and admitting to ourselves that our head football coach is no longer living up to his end of that deal, and as a result, part ways and hit reset.

I was all for the big contract for Hud, still am in favor of a serious contract for a serious coach. I'd like our program to have the reputation of stepping up to the plate and paying for a good product and hope we do the same with Hud's replacement. The difference in the contract needs to be that a significant part of the pay is performance-based.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Losing a coach to another G5 is a no no. Had we outbid Vandy or something like that then we would be foolish. But losing a coach to an instate school not named LSU is almost as bad as a 0-12 season.

Just want to ressurect this thing.
    Dr. M, every second longer this coach is employed is a second in the wrong direction. I tried to tell you this a long time ago. How many times are you going to allow this program to be a national laughing stock, on national TV?

The Brand you were hired to protect is getting trashed. OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.. And now, its under your watch.

...at least wait til the game is over.

This will be Hud's Signature come back

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Just want to ressurect this thing.
    Dr. M, every second longer this coach is employed is a second in the wrong direction. I tried to tell you this a long time ago. How many times are you going to allow this program to be a national laughing stock, on national TV?

The Brand you were hired to protect is getting trashed. OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again.. And now, its under your watch.
    What an absolute embarrassing display. You suspend some of your best players NOW when you could have done it earlier in the season. We know its a measure of "rest" rather than discipline. You know, for our final stretch drive for the conference championship and all. Are we even playing our best players? We have some white kid at LB with the long hair who looks ridiculous and I've not seen him once this year. What happened to Posey and our other linebackers? Did we just decide to rest everyone and play for next week? This guy is in the toilet and we need to flush him now.

The football program is a joke. We need T-Joe and Dr. Maggard to get serious about improving it, not just a new coach, but that is certainly part of it. Fans and Alumni are not going to support this level of competition. It needs a tremendous amount of attention to make it a program that Is competitive on a national level, at least top 50 on a consistent basis. Dr. Maggard was hired to make this happen, don't wait for it to be irreparable.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    The football program is a joke. We need T-Joe and Dr. Maggard to get serious about improving it, not just a new coach, but that is certainly part of it. Fans and Alumni are not going to support this level of competition. It needs a tremendous amount of attention to make it a program that Is competitive on a national level, at least top 50 on a consistent basis. Dr. Maggard was hired to make this happen, don't wait for it to be irreparable.
    By keeping this man employed after that ULM embarrassment, as a donor and supporter, those men told me they were not serious about winning.. Message heard loud and clear guys..

What about scheduling too? Until we can get a real coach and a solid program, how bout dialing it back to CUSA, AAC and MAC for games rather than SEC and or Big 12?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    What about scheduling too? Until we can get a real coach and a solid program, how bout dialing it back to CUSA, AAC and MAC for games rather than SEC and or Big 12?
    Nah I'll take the solid paycheck to fire Hud this year

I will say this about the contract. It told the world we are capable of playing with the big boys in G5. I think it will help us get a good replacement. Just food for thought

***ATTENTION EVERYONE***

We need to start calling TJoe again. Emailing, writing, social media, whatever way you can make a mark. Get Maggard and TJoe's inbox full of "fire hud" emails and bombard them with calls. It works. I know it works, I've seen it work here before. Keep doing it.

We are killing the football program by continuing this insanity. FIRE HIM NOW!

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast