Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 103

Thread: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,484

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    We are maxed out on student fees, so this announcement is not surprising.
    Any idea what the Mosings are paying for naming rights to the APC?

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Any idea what the Mosings are paying for naming rights to the APC?
    What? I had not heard that this was happening.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Any idea what the Mosings are paying for naming rights to the APC?
    No sir, not privy to that information.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Any idea what the Mosings are paying for naming rights to the APC?
    No payment for the naming of the APC. It was done based on their past contributions to athletics and to the university itself (somewhere around $8MM total).

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,155

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    No payment for the naming of the APC. It was done based on their past contributions to athletics and to the university itself (somewhere around $8MM total).
    I think that's great the man has given so much to the UNIV & community

  6. #46
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,106

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    What? I had not heard that this was happening.
    See post #26.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    See post #26.
    Wow...thanks. I had not read the article here, but also had seen it on the ULS site as well. I missed that important piece both times.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    FYI,
    Last night my wife and I were invited to "An Evening for Wisdom", the "kickoff" fundraiser for a new Catholic Student Center on the Louisiana campus.
    Cardinal Dolan, the Archbishop of New York was the keynote speaker and he did not let the faithful down.
    Huge crowd at La Pavillion. A short film indicated a new building (a very impressive structure) will be constructed across the street of the existing Wisdom Chapel Complex (Home of the Ragin Cajun Catholics). This is on the corner of St. Mary and Girard Park Drive.
    They did quick auction at the end of the dinner to cut Father Michael Champagne's beard and at a grand a pop, $50,000 was raised very quickly.


  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmole View Post
    FYI,
    Last night my wife and I were invited to "An Evening for Wisdom", the "kickoff" fundraiser for a new Catholic Student Center on the Louisiana campus.
    Cardinal Dolan, the Archbishop of New York was the keynote speaker and he did not let the faithful down.
    Huge crowd at La Pavillion. A short film indicated a new building (a very impressive structure) will be constructed across the street of the existing Wisdom Chapel Complex (Home of the Ragin Cajun Catholics). This is on the corner of St. Mary and Girard Park Drive.
    They did quick auction at the end of the dinner to cut Father Michael Champagne's beard and at a grand a pop, $50,000 was raised very quickly.
    Here are the renderings for that project.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,155

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Here are the renderings for that project.
    So it will be built next door / in the Ek long parking lot?

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    So it will be built next door / in the Ek long parking lot?
    Yes, that is what is being proposed.
    The gossip I heard was that this will be part of a deal to help acquire the office buildings on the old OLOL campus, on St Mary, that belong to the diocese....not OLOL.
    Also, the present location of Wisdom will revert back to ul, who will demolish the current structures and build additional academic space in its place.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,603

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes, that is what is being proposed.
    The gossip I heard was that this will be part of a deal to help acquire the office buildings on the old OLOL campus, on St Mary, that belong to the diocese....not OLOL.
    Also, the present location of Wisdom will revert back to ul, who will demolish the current structures and build additional academic space in its place.
    That's awesome.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes, that is what is being proposed.
    The gossip I heard was that this will be part of a deal to help acquire the office buildings on the old OLOL campus, on St Mary, that belong to the diocese....not OLOL.
    Also, the present location of Wisdom will revert back to ul, who will demolish the current structures and build additional academic space in its place.
    maybe they can knock down EK long by mistake

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    maybe they can knock down EK long by mistake
    Now, I know you didn't just say that. EKL is a fantastic building: structurally, aesthetically and historically.
    I think the proposed church complex is waaaay to big and overpowering for that corner, but that's just IMHO.

  15. #55
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,679

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    No I know you didn't just say that. EKL is a fantastic building: structurally, aesthetically and historically.
    I think the proposed church complex is waaaay to big and overpowering for that corner, but that's just my HO.
    That was my thought as well. When you're landlocked and are actively looking for space I don't see how you give up property in the center of your campus when there are two catholic churches relatively close to campus already. JMO

  16. #56
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,692

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    That was my thought as well. When you're landlocked and are actively looking for space I don't see how you give up property in the center of your campus when there are two catholic churches relatively close to campus already. JMO
    ....Some thoughts.....with the growing enrollment, it can be of great use for so many Catholic students.....the swap of stuff,especially if the medical property can be worked into the mix would be fabulous....who owns the former hospital land... Dioceses,no lol, or others???

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,008
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ....Some thoughts.....with the growing enrollment, it can be of great use for so many Catholic students.....the swap of stuff,especially if the medical property can be worked into the mix would be fabulous....who owns the former hospital land... Dioceses,no lol, or others???
    I hope they do something good with that land.

    I was born there.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Is there any future chance we can acquire and build on Girard Park? If Moncus becomes the grand central park they envision, it kind of lessens the need for a park like Girard. When were as land locked as we are, it's hard not to look at a big piece of undeveloped land next to our campus and start thinking.

    Or is the St Mary corridor our best bet for future expansion? There would be a few more existing structures to deal with going that route but going thay way does eventually tie us into available lands toward the athletics campus and research park.


  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    That was my thought as well. When you're landlocked and are actively looking for space I don't see how you give up property in the center of your campus when there are two catholic churches relatively close to campus already. JMO
    Actually, about 5 years ago, while working on the Master Plan, Steve Oubre had been interviewed by the Alum rag where he explained some of the basics of what they hoped the MP would correct: parking towers -vs- parking lots and turning those lots into green spaces, etc.
    He used the area we are discussing today as an example, and included a rendering to illustrate his point: adding buildings to Olivier, and making another Quad, putting an academic building next to EKL, forming another green space between it and Billieaud Hall, etc. I have that rendering attached below.
    I guess my question is, which is the one you are asking, is how/why did we go from an Academic (residential?) building to a church?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,008
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cb089 View Post
    Is there any future chance we can acquire and build on Girard Park? If Moncus becomes the grand central park they envision, it kind of lessens the need for a park like Girard. When were as land locked as we are, it's hard not to look at a big piece of undeveloped land next to our campus and start thinking.

    Or is the St Mary corridor our best bet for future expansion? There would be a few more existing structures to deal with going that route but going thay way does eventually tie us into available lands toward the athletics campus and research park.
    I am pretty sure in the original donation of park land it stipulated a return of property if used for anything else.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •