Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 103

Thread: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,484

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Yes that's why Liberty University enrollment is 110k
    So, in the last couple of years, our enrollment jumped by around 2,000. Doesn't seem like that is that many on-line student enrollments, at least compared to schools like Liberty or UCF.

    Since we are almost at 19,300, we should follow the Boomer School of Economics and just use a round number of 20,000. I like the sound of that.

  2. #22
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,679

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    I do have to say that the one thing we've traditionally not done well is letting the country know about our successes. I ran across this article when trying to look up other info.

    http://louisiana.edu/news-events/new...al-nsf-funding

    The first paragraph caught my eye;

    The Center for Visual and Decision Informatics, a leader in big data science and analytics, is poised to become the largest center of its kind in the U.S. after recently receiving approval for a second round of National Science Foundation funding.


  3. #23
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,692

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    So, in the last couple of years, our enrollment jumped by around 2,000. Doesn't seem like that is that many on-line student enrollments, at least compared to schools like Liberty or UCF.

    Since we are almost at 19,300, we should follow the Boomer School of Economics and just use a round number of 20,000. I like the sound of that.
    .....HUD math.....round them up or down ltur 12k......UL 20k......twice as many enrolled......

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,008
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .....HUD math.....round them up or down ltur 12k......UL 20k......twice as many enrolled......
    Nice

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    The dean of engineering
    Ok, yes....he is doing a great job.

    Not sure if he was here in 2010, but our appearance on the Discovery Channel was awesome....and the Roman Crane left over from it is still a pretty cool thing to see next time you are on campus.

    https://louisiana.edu/news-events/ne...ayettes-campus

  6. #26
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,679

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Saw this as well.

    COMMITTEE APPROVES LOWEST FEE INCREASE IN A DECADE
    In a special meeting of the Executive Committee, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System approved fee changes for its nine universities. The average increase of less than three percent is the lowest fee increase in a decade for the more than 90,000 students served by the state's largest system of higher education.

    "With the budget stability afforded to us by the legislature and our governor, in addition to the full funding of TOPS, our universities were able to minimize cost increases on our students," UL System President and CEO Jim Henderson said. "We will continue to work with our state's leadership to obtain a stable and significant investment in higher education."

    Two universities, Grambling State University and the University of New Orleans, are not implementing any fee increases. The remaining seven universities' increases range from $98 to $212.

    Louisiana ranks last among its peers in the Southern Regional Education Board in total resources per student. Universities in Louisiana operate with $12,125 per student, while competitors in Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas provide $17,563, $17,510 and $15,370 per student respectively.

    "The disparity puts Louisiana universities at a disadvantage in the recruitment and retention of faculty, especially at our research institutions," Henderson said.

    Louisiana ranks seventh among its 16 peers in the SREB in total tuition and fees, and 15th in direct state support for colleges and universities on a per student basis.

    "Higher education has evolved into a competitive enterprise," Henderson said. "While any increase in cost is significant to students, the average increase of $108 will provide valuable services in the classroom. Now, we must aggressively pursue a state policy environment and institutional cultures that ensure our universities are able to maximize the value received by our students."

    Changes only apply to fees, tuition costs remain stable across the System. The Executive Committee met to consider time-sensitive agenda items after a scheduled Board meeting was cancelled due to Tropical Storm Cindy.


    Other committee action;

    Facilities Planning Committee

    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the Student Athlete Performance Center the "Donald and Janice Mosing Student Athlete Performance Center."
    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the Welcome Center at Cade Farm the "Dr. Thomas J. Arceneaux Welcome Center."
    -UL Lafayette: approval to enter into a Ground Lease/Lease Back Agreement with Ragin' Cajun Facilities, Ic. to renovate and expand FG Mouton Hall to include the creation of the Maraist Financial Services Laboratory.
    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration Financial Services Lab the "Maraist Financial Services Laboratory."


    Thought this was interesting/funny;
    LA Tech: approval to exchange propoerty with Brister Baptist Church located in Arkansas.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    2,825

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Ok, yes....he is doing a great job.

    Not sure if he was here in 2010, but our appearance on the Discovery Channel was awesome....and the Roman Crane left over from it is still a pretty cool thing to see next time you are on campus.

    https://louisiana.edu/news-events/ne...ayettes-campus
    That was made by students under the direction of Dr. Carroll. it is located between the Lewis street parking garage and Fletcher hall.

  8. #28
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,679

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    I also didn't realize how big that property we gained in the sale of the horse farm could be in this possible housing addition. I copied a google map and aerial version of the village and park areas mentioned in the previous post.

    Attached Images Attached Images    

  9. #29
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,692

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I also didn't realize how big that property we gained in the sale of the horse farm could be in this possible housing addition. I copied a google map and aerial version of the village and park areas mentioned in the previous post.
    ........Sometimes this board reminds me of the liberal media outlets ........they never get the complete story and run with it.....so much goes on behind the scenes that very few know.....at one time when working with staff and administration, so much came down the pipe that people had no idea about.....yes and it was good that it didn't get to the public or media......I still hope that the medical property can be part of the horse farm/baseball park exchange in some fashion....but from the map, the new area is more than thought.....oh, in my recruiting, I would let the group see the "UL" park!!! Lol

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,008
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Saw this as well.

    COMMITTEE APPROVES LOWEST FEE INCREASE IN A DECADE
    In a special meeting of the Executive Committee, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System approved fee changes for its nine universities. The average increase of less than three percent is the lowest fee increase in a decade for the more than 90,000 students served by the state's largest system of higher education.

    "With the budget stability afforded to us by the legislature and our governor, in addition to the full funding of TOPS, our universities were able to minimize cost increases on our students," UL System President and CEO Jim Henderson said. "We will continue to work with our state's leadership to obtain a stable and significant investment in higher education."

    Two universities, Grambling State University and the University of New Orleans, are not implementing any fee increases. The remaining seven universities' increases range from $98 to $212.

    Louisiana ranks last among its peers in the Southern Regional Education Board in total resources per student. Universities in Louisiana operate with $12,125 per student, while competitors in Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas provide $17,563, $17,510 and $15,370 per student respectively.

    "The disparity puts Louisiana universities at a disadvantage in the recruitment and retention of faculty, especially at our research institutions," Henderson said.

    Louisiana ranks seventh among its 16 peers in the SREB in total tuition and fees, and 15th in direct state support for colleges and universities on a per student basis.

    "Higher education has evolved into a competitive enterprise," Henderson said. "While any increase in cost is significant to students, the average increase of $108 will provide valuable services in the classroom. Now, we must aggressively pursue a state policy environment and institutional cultures that ensure our universities are able to maximize the value received by our students."

    Changes only apply to fees, tuition costs remain stable across the System. The Executive Committee met to consider time-sensitive agenda items after a scheduled Board meeting was cancelled due to Tropical Storm Cindy.


    Other committee action;

    Facilities Planning Committee

    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the Student Athlete Performance Center the "Donald and Janice Mosing Student Athlete Performance Center."
    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the Welcome Center at Cade Farm the "Dr. Thomas J. Arceneaux Welcome Center."
    -UL Lafayette: approval to enter into a Ground Lease/Lease Back Agreement with Ragin' Cajun Facilities, Ic. to renovate and expand FG Mouton Hall to include the creation of the Maraist Financial Services Laboratory.
    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration Financial Services Lab the "Maraist Financial Services Laboratory."


    Thought this was interesting/funny;
    LA Tech: approval to exchange propoerty with Brister Baptist Church located in Arkansas.
    What's funny is seeing the board of Supervisors breaking the name law.

    "UL Lafayette" is illegal.

    LOL

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,484

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .....HUD math.....round them up or down ltur 12k......UL 20k......twice as many enrolled......
    Didn't remember if it was you or Hud, but I agree with doing it that way. The same with attendance figures at games. ALWAYS round UP! A lot of schools use round figures for enrollment and attendance. Don't know why we can't. The numbers always fluctuate during the year anyway as it covers spring, fall and summer semesters. With UL always growing, use the higher estimate. As it is, our current enrollment of 19,291 really dwarfs Tech at around 12,000 and ULM at around 8,000.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I also didn't realize how big that property we gained in the sale of the horse farm could be in this possible housing addition. I copied a google map and aerial version of the village and park areas mentioned in the previous post.
    Yes, the Youth Park is 8 acres, and it being directly connected to our existing campus made the Horse Farm deal much more palpable imho.
    So if you add those 8 acres to the acreage behind the Red Zone (which is just mostly a parking lot) that will give us about 12-14 acres of raw land to build new housing....which is really nice considering how desperately we need to add more on-campus housing, which is really hard to do when you are a land-locked as we are.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,155

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes, the Youth Park is 8 acres, and it being directly connected to our existing campus made the Horse Farm deal much more palpable imho.
    So if you add those 8 acres to the acreage behind the Red Zone (which is just mostly a parking lot) that will give us about 12-14 acres of raw land to build new housing....which is really nice considering how desperately we need to add more on-campus housing, which is really hard to do when you are a land-locked as we are.
    Maybe put the red zone in one of the new buildings would be better than 2 double wides

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Saw this as well.

    COMMITTEE APPROVES LOWEST FEE INCREASE IN A DECADE
    In a special meeting of the Executive Committee, the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System approved fee changes for its nine universities. The average increase of less than three percent is the lowest fee increase in a decade for the more than 90,000 students served by the state's largest system of higher education.

    "With the budget stability afforded to us by the legislature and our governor, in addition to the full funding of TOPS, our universities were able to minimize cost increases on our students," UL System President and CEO Jim Henderson said. "We will continue to work with our state's leadership to obtain a stable and significant investment in higher education."

    Two universities, Grambling State University and the University of New Orleans, are not implementing any fee increases. The remaining seven universities' increases range from $98 to $212.

    Louisiana ranks last among its peers in the Southern Regional Education Board in total resources per student. Universities in Louisiana operate with $12,125 per student, while competitors in Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas provide $17,563, $17,510 and $15,370 per student respectively.

    "The disparity puts Louisiana universities at a disadvantage in the recruitment and retention of faculty, especially at our research institutions," Henderson said.

    Louisiana ranks seventh among its 16 peers in the SREB in total tuition and fees, and 15th in direct state support for colleges and universities on a per student basis.

    "Higher education has evolved into a competitive enterprise," Henderson said. "While any increase in cost is significant to students, the average increase of $108 will provide valuable services in the classroom. Now, we must aggressively pursue a state policy environment and institutional cultures that ensure our universities are able to maximize the value received by our students."

    Changes only apply to fees, tuition costs remain stable across the System. The Executive Committee met to consider time-sensitive agenda items after a scheduled Board meeting was cancelled due to Tropical Storm Cindy.


    Other committee action;

    Facilities Planning Committee

    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the Student Athlete Performance Center the "Donald and Janice Mosing Student Athlete Performance Center."
    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the Welcome Center at Cade Farm the "Dr. Thomas J. Arceneaux Welcome Center."
    -UL Lafayette: approval to enter into a Ground Lease/Lease Back Agreement with Ragin' Cajun Facilities, Ic. to renovate and expand FG Mouton Hall to include the creation of the Maraist Financial Services Laboratory.
    -UL Lafayette: approval to name the B.I. Moody III College of Business Administration Financial Services Lab the "Maraist Financial Services Laboratory."


    Thought this was interesting/funny;
    LA Tech: approval to exchange propoerty with Brister Baptist Church located in Arkansas.
    We are maxed out on student fees, so this announcement is not surprising.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Maybe put the red zone in one of the new buildings would be better than 2 double wides
    Yes...especially since it is prime property along Johnston. I think it is the master plan, and I really would love to see a nice mixed-use building (a' la' river ranch) built there that could not only house the Red Zone, but also have space to lease out that could bring in more revenue for the school. The attached is a nice rendering I saw for the something along St. Mary, across from Olde Tyme...maybe not this big for Johnston street, but a similar look.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes, the Youth Park is 8 acres, and it being directly connected to our existing campus made the Horse Farm deal much more palpable imho.
    So if you add those 8 acres to the acreage behind the Red Zone (which is just mostly a parking lot) that will give us about 12-14 acres of raw land to build new housing....which is really nice considering how desperately we need to add more on-campus housing, which is really hard to do when you are a land-locked as we are.
    Also, I saw the other day that the businesses along Johnston St and on the side of the Red Zone are for sale. It's the ones that back in the day was a McD's, then a GoodWill and most recently a used car lot. Too bad we have to be located in a state that refuses to support us, cause it would be really great to own that whole block.

  17. #37
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,679

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Maybe put the red zone in one of the new buildings would be better than 2 double wides
    I thought the long term plan was to have a Red Zone in the new construction at Cajun Field since that would have much more floor space. I know the bookstore in the union has a pretty large "Red Zone" area but has less sport specific options like you get at the actual ballparks involved. Since we have a separate sports complex, it would sure be nice to have one located there that would be open weekdays. JMO

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    That piece of property could be a lot better utilized without the car lot taking out a big chunk of it. I assume the Red Zone building would be gone with any development of that property.


  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,826

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I thought the long term plan was to have a Red Zone in the new construction at Cajun Field since that would have much more floor space. I know the bookstore in the union has a pretty large "Red Zone" area but has less sport specific options like you get at the actual ballparks involved. Since we have a separate sports complex, it would sure be nice to have one located there that would be open weekdays. JMO
    Yeah, I forgot about that: the Red Zone is planned to be included in the CF renovation. They also have a very nice one in the new Tigue. Doubt they would need another one on Johnston.
    But it would still be cool to have a mixed-use building replace it, with a nice restaurant, shops, etc.
    We really need to improve the look of the entrances into the uni....

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,155

    Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I thought the long term plan was to have a Red Zone in the new construction at Cajun Field since that would have much more floor space. I know the bookstore in the union has a pretty large "Red Zone" area but has less sport specific options like you get at the actual ballparks involved. Since we have a separate sports complex, it would sure be nice to have one located there that would be open weekdays. JMO
    More than likely we will not go with the "tower" at cajun field its cost too much $$$ and Maggard wants to move quickly to fix that POS pressbox ..On another note I know a few offices that were supposed to be in there are being moved to the 3rd floor of the library

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •