Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Tanner Holmes Transferring

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tanner Holmes Transferring

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    This is indeed the "name" P5 win we need right now and the stars have aligned in our favor. I hope we don't Hud it.
    I'm very concerned reading that Hud is going to "try things he thinks the players can do". No, we need to instruct the players into doing things that win the game. We will very likely "Hud it".

"HUD-ing"

Definition - A football coach that will figure out stuff on the fly. Often willing to try plays and schemes that are often deemed low success percentage by more rational coaches.

Examples

-The 50/50 jump ball is not a play.
    - Thinking you are fooling other coaches by taking a QB out, and putting a QB in that has never thrown a pass.
    - Placing a 190 DB at LB to take on blocks from lineman.
    - No use of the tight end in the passing game.
    ....did I miss any

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    "HUD-ing"

Definition - A football coach that will figure out stuff on the fly. Often willing to try plays and schemes that are often deemed low success percentage by more rational coaches.

Examples

-The 50/50 jump ball is not a play.
    - Thinking you are fooling other coaches by taking a QB out, and putting a QB in that has never thrown a pass.
    - Placing a 190 DB at LB to take on blocks from lineman.
    - No use of the tight end in the passing game.
    ....did I miss any
    There is coaching tree out there that has Les Miles at the top, further down you have Houston Nutt, further down you have Mark Hudspeth.

Very similar coaching styles.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    There is coaching tree out there that has Les Miles at the top, further down you have Houston Nutt, further down you have Mark Hudspeth.

Very similar coaching styles.
    Hmmmm....2 of those 3 no longer coach football.....coincidence??

Last tight end I recall getting much use was a guy named Calvin James. What a hoss. Yeah, that dates me.

Last tight end I recall getting much use was a guy named Calvin James. What a hoss. Yeah, that dates me.
    PeeWee

Blog Entries

yep, from Comeaux High class of 77. Lit that position on fire as a true freshman. and then.............

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    yep, from Comeaux High class of 77. Lit that position on fire as a true freshman. and then.............
    Yep, some thought he had pro potential. IIRC, one of his last games was one we played in Hawaii, something like 2 AM our time. We lost the game but, during a post game interview, one of the Hawaii players said, "who was that tight end? He ran over us like we weren't even there".

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    I remember him being a stud at Comeaux... and showing up big (literally) at USL. Wasn't it pot that rained on that parade? I'm having fuzzy recollection. Ironically, at the largest university in Louisiana, about 1/3 of the football team are avid pot smokers. And pot is 10x more potent today than it was then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I remember him being a stud at Comeaux... and showing up big (literally) at USL. Wasn't it pot that rained on that parade? I'm having fuzzy recollection. Ironically, at the largest university in Louisiana, about 1/3 of the football team are avid pot smokers. And pot is 10x more potent today than it was then.
    Eventually arrested later for armed robbery.

Yep, some thought he had pro potential. IIRC, one of his last games was one we played in Hawaii, something like 2 AM our time. We lost the game but, during a post game interview, one of the Hawaii players said, "who was that tight end? He ran over us like we weren't even there".
    Calvin James....only played his freshman year. His hands were very large. I measured them once and from tip to tip, spread out, was 14". That's Huuuuuuigeeee.

Hawaii game...we were 4-0 and playing the Rainbows in the Aloha Stadium. Had beaten Tulsa, Fresno State, Lamar and Texas Arlington and then they took us to Hawaii for the week! Looking back that was probably a mistake. Our season turned on that game as we finished 6-4-2 (12 games due to playing outside continental USA). Tied McN and LATUR.

Never forget our lone TD scored by Calvin. First a little backdrop to set this up. Pat Schmidt was a free safety for UCLA, starting his junior year and Rose Bowl. He got in trouble with the law and transferred to Hawaii, which you could do back then without sitting out a year. (Another geographical consideration). He reminded us of Robert Fletcher (USL safety)...similar looking, tall lanky build and knocked the snot out of you. Early in the game, maybe middle of the first quarter, Dave Gray caught a curl or square-in pass across the middle and when he turned upfield, he dropped my roommate who had to be helped off the field. Never would have seen the field again in this day and age, but he did make it back in the second half if memory serves me. Anyway, I think it was the next offensive series, Roy H. hit Calvin on an under route and he broke the tackle of the MBL, then turned up field where he hit Mr. Schmidt helmet to helmet, knocking him on his back and stepping over him on his way for the TD.

I was in the game the last couple of series and the last play ended with me being forced out of bounds near midfield. Mr. Schmidt was heading my way looking for another thumper, and seemed a little ____ed that I wasn't "there" for him. At that point, he turned and headed for Calvin. I was concerned he was going to start some ____e for being knocked down earlier, but instead, he just wanted to shake his hand and meet this guy that was wrecking their backfield. A true freshman!

There's no telling how good Calvin may have been if he had continued playing football. He was 6'4" 235 and had a frame that could easily handle another 25-30 pounds. Could jump out of the gym and just naturally strong as an oxe. As Bob Seger sings, he "was something to see"!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Calvin James....only played his freshman year. His hands were very large. I measured them once and from tip to tip, spread out, was 14". That's Huuuuuuigeeee.

Hawaii game...we were 4-0 and playing the Rainbows in the Aloha Stadium. Had beaten Tulsa, Fresno State, Lamar and Texas Arlington and then they took us to Hawaii for the week! Looking back that was probably a mistake. Our season turned on that game as we finished 6-4-2 (12 games due to playing outside continental USA). Tied McN and LATUR.

Never forget our lone TD scored by Calvin. First a little backdrop to set this up. Pat Schmidt was a free safety for UCLA, starting his junior year and Rose Bowl. He got in trouble with the law and transferred to Hawaii, which you could do back then without sitting out a year. (Another geographical consideration). He reminded us of Robert Fletcher (USL safety)...similar looking, tall lanky build and knocked the snot out of you. Early in the game, maybe middle of the first quarter, Dave Gray caught a curl or square-in pass across the middle and when he turned upfield, he dropped my roommate who had to be helped off the field. Never would have seen the field again in this day and age, but he did make it back in the second half if memory serves me. Anyway, I think it was the next offensive series, Roy H. hit Calvin on an under route and he broke the tackle of the MBL, then turned up field where he hit Mr. Schmidt helmet to helmet, knocking him on his back and stepping over him on his way for the TD.

I was in the game the last couple of series and the last play ended with me being forced out of bounds near midfield. Mr. Schmidt was heading my way looking for another thumper, and seemed a little ____ed that I wasn't "there" for him. At that point, he turned and headed for Calvin. I was concerned he was going to start some ____e for being knocked down earlier, but instead, he just wanted to shake his hand and meet this guy that was wrecking their backfield. A true freshman!

There's no telling how good Calvin may have been if he had continued playing football. He was 6'4" 235 and had a frame that could easily handle another 25-30 pounds. Could jump out of the gym and just naturally strong as an oxe. As Bob Seger sings, he "was something to see"!
    Good stuff.

Thanks

Damn! What a memory and thanks SlickRick!!! I thought it was a linebacker he'd steamrolled and recalled the guy later saying no one had ever hit him so hard.

James was a man among boys indeed. Oh what could have been.

Damn! What a memory and thanks SlickRick!!! I thought it was a linebacker he'd steamrolled and recalled the guy later saying no one had ever hit him so hard.

James was a man among boys indeed. Oh what could have been.
    My memory sucks, but I've told that story a number of times.

It doesn't get better S'Rick.

Rick, were you playing when Roy Henry qb'd?

Ah, nevermind, I see that he was qb'ing that very game. I thought he'd already finished his career by then.

The box score on ULs website credits Tanner Holmes with a tackle in the aTm game. I wonder how he did that?!?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14