Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 325

Thread: post Texas A&M: Hud Accountability Index

  1. #221
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,958
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Renewing the contract is not a factor until 2020. As far as staying around till then, I again ask who will write the check which is needed to buy him out. That is likely in the 2 million range. MAT says there are people willing to do it if things get bad enough. Personally i am skeptical of that in this economy. I also don't think we will get much of an attendance rebound with a change simply because the economy is much worse than most realize. I am not saying a change should not be made if improvement does not occur. That is a different deal than having to raise the money for a buyout.
    I tend to agree. This year, Hud will not be fired mid-year... no way, no how. This season would have to go unimaginably bad to even entertain not giving him next year. I think there would have to be other circumstances that warranted "termination with cause" to trigger a firing.

    I have no idea of the pulse of our admin. If there were no buyout, what would have been their tolerance for football results and/or issues within the program? Some people think the buyout structure is a mistake. I think some ADs and presidents like the way it's structured. It keeps hot-headed boosters from bugging them every time the program burps. It also puts the coalition of high dollar boosters in the "you want him out, you buy him out" seat.

    My gut tells me that Hud will be here for 2 years minimum... unless something develops that creates a "termination with cause" situation. For those that still strongly believe in Hud, that gives him time to impress the rest. I worry that we'll not have complete success or complete failure... to either make us cut our losses... or win the enthusiasm back to Cajun football. That's what I'm worried about.

  2. #222
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    You still have to have someone or several someone's write that check...and if I know this university it's the same people who always write the check. Then those same exact people will be expected to pay for the new coach. Some of you are pretty quick to write other people's checks. I know what I give to rcaf isn't gonna cover that...how about y'all donations? this school doesn't operate like a business, they spend every penny and plus some every year. They spend according to the budget.
    Very true. But we don't have to shell out a base salary of $975K. You make the total compensation package the same as Hudspeth's just with larger incintive packages. Make an outright Sun Belt title more lucrative than a bowl game or bowl win. Make 8 wins the base line expectations. Bonus escalators for each subsequent win. Attendance and academic incentives. Recruiting incintives.

    All thing that can increase the total value of the contract without a huge base salary.

  3. #223
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I have to agree with you. Although he may cost us more than $2 million you still must have $2 million available to buy him out.......that's just the facts of life. We can all standby and see it happen but someone has to fork the money over to make that happen.

    One thing I know for sure, I don't have $2 million to spare.
    You won't need $2MM to cover the buyout and the new coaching staff salary. You just need to cover the buyout. A new coach's salary will have to be paid regardless, so the money is there through current RCAF donations and university funds. We'd very likely get a new coach in the $600K-$750K range, so there would be cost savings there.

    Update: The buyout for firing Hud as of 12/31/2017 is $1.5MM.

  4. #224
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Very true. But we don't have to shell out a base salary of $975K. You make the total compensation package the same as Hudspeth's just with larger incintive packages. Make an outright Sun Belt title more lucrative than a bowl game or bowl win. Make 8 wins the base line expectations. Bonus escalators for each subsequent win. Attendance and academic incentives. Recruiting incintives.

    All thing that can increase the total value of the contract without a huge base salary.
    I would certainly hope the next coaches salary would be very inventive based...however you still have to have the total amount committed. If that coach hits every incentive In the contract you have to be prepared to pay the full amount and have that money committed. 2017 was nowhere near where anyone thought the Gulf of Mexico would be, 2018 isn't looking any better. The people with the pen in their hands are a little more hesitant to commit millions of dollars to a football coach. People are still getting laid off and there is no considerable postivives in the near future. I think if it Hud doesn't have anymore situations, he will have this year and next at the least to turn it around. JMO but I think aftw 2018 is when buying him out would make the most sense when you look at everything realistically.

  5. #225
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    I would certainly hope the next coaches salary would be very inventive based...however you still have to have the total amount committed. If that coach hits every incentive In the contract you have to be prepared to pay the full amount and have that money committed. 2017 was nowhere near where anyone thought the Gulf of Mexico would be, 2018 isn't looking any better. The people with the pen in their hands are a little more hesitant to commit millions of dollars to a football coach. People are still getting laid off and there is no considerable postivives in the near future. I think if it Hud doesn't have anymore situations, he will have this year and next at the least to turn it around. JMO but I think aftw 2018 is when buying him out would make the most sense when you look at everything realistically.
    Trust me I know about the economy. I spent 13 months without work. Our program will not recover if Hudspeth has a losing season this year and next year. It will send the message that we as a program are cheap and not looking to win.

  6. #226
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Trust me I know about the economy. I spent 13 months without work. Our program will not recover if Hudspeth has a losing season this year and next year. It will send the message that we as a program are cheap and not looking to win.
    The direction of the program will depend on the next hire, that's it. You make a good hire the program will be just fine. You make a bad hire we are screwed. That's the bottom line whether it's this year or next or the next..or any year. I think we will surprise people in conference personally if Davis can stay healthy. Given the buyout amount I think he will be given next year with a senior QB to try and right the ship. If he doesn't then he will have been given plenty opportunity and the buyout becomes more manageable.

  7. #227
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I was waiting and waiting... and no one has called anyone an "azz licker" in that "one post away" warning. Is that disappointing to you?

    By the way, does this site have influence... or does it not? If it does, then the subjects discussed need to be debated. If it does not, then why weigh in on C4L's year long promotion?

    I contend that it's a worthwhile fan exercise to open up discussions/debates. And I'll add this... if you attack the credibility of the OP... and they call you a name... that's just life. If you are giving good debate arguments... and they call you a name... then they're in the wrong. I've too often read the same posters that don't like ad hominem attacks... turn right around and discredit the poster... not the subject of the post.

    You were called no names in the development of this post.
    You may want to reread the chain of events. C4L was posting that our program was a hot mess. Angel then called him an azz licker, which was funny in its own right (hence my Lol to start). I also found it funny because C4L has made his position on the program quite clear over the past year. How on gods green earth could someone think he abruptly changed mind after another 4 touchdown loss? You would think said person would at least take a deep breath and reread the post.
    As you know I called no one a disparaging name nor did I try to refute any of C4L claims. They are his opinions. I just wanted to point out even a good Cajun soldier like C4L who calls for hud to be fired daily (RP making an impact?) can be called out for a single post that is perceived to not tow the company line. Maybe I have a warped sense of humor but I thought it was hilarious.

  8. #228
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I have to agree with you. Although he may cost us more than $2 million you still must have $2 million available to buy him out.......that's just the facts of life. We can all standby and see it happen but someone has to fork the money over to make that happen.

    One thing I know for sure, I don't have $2 million to spare.
    Do you have a thousand? We've got 1800 plus RCAF members. I'd donate a thousand to buy him up. That's 1.8 million to get a better chance.

  9. #229
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    The direction of the program will depend on the next hire, that's it. You make a good hire the program will be just fine. You make a bad hire we are screwed. That's the bottom line whether it's this year or next or the next..or any year. I think we will surprise people in conference personally if Davis can stay healthy. Given the buyout amount I think he will be given next year with a senior QB to try and right the ship. If he doesn't then he will have been given plenty opportunity and the buyout becomes more manageable.
    Yes. Now if there is another scandal, this may make the administration take early action.

  10. #230
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Yes. Now if there is another scandal, this may make the administration take early action.
    Agreed.

  11. #231
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,762

    UL Football Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    The direction of the program will depend on the next hire, that's it. You make a good hire the program will be just fine. You make a bad hire we are screwed. That's the bottom line whether it's this year or next or the next..or any year. I think we will surprise people in conference personally if Davis can stay healthy. Given the buyout amount I think he will be given next year with a senior QB to try and right the ship. If he doesn't then he will have been given plenty opportunity and the buyout becomes more manageable.
    No QB has had a healthy season under Hud. All have missed or been playing hurt in every season. Davis won't start every game this year.

  12. #232
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    No QB has had a healthy season under Hud. All have missed or been playing hurt in every season. Davis won't start every game this year.
    It isn't just Hud, i think it goes back to Jake. I know you are really trying to pile on the guy but damn. I still think we will do well in conference, 6-2 is not out of the question and certainly earns him another year with Davis returning. You do realize a guy playing hurt for a coach and his teammates goes against the argument that everyone on earth hates the man right?

  13. #233
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Mike if you're not willing to renew, you shouldn't keep him. We'll lose more than two million in revenue streams by keeping him on.
    That is not my poinT. I understand losing more by keeping than changing. Point is where will the funds to pay the buyout come from. I don't think such a person or group of people exists in this economy. We are not talking a couple of hundred grand which was the case when Coach Bustle departed. It is 10 times that amount. School cannot borrow to do it due to what is owed for the baseball stadium. As MetryCajun has said, folks would be happy if someone ponied up those funds but we just don't know who has that kind of extra cash.

  14. #234
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is not my poinT. I understand losing more by keeping than changing. Point is where will the funds to pay the buyout come from. I don't think such a person or group of people exists in this economy. We are not talking a couple of hundred grand which was the case when Coach Bustle departed. It is 10 times that amount. School cannot borrow to do it due to what is owed for the baseball stadium. As MetryCajun has said, folks would be happy if someone ponied up those funds but we just don't know who has that kind of extra cash.
    I think express would be surprised how few people would join him in his $1,000 pledge. We all love the Cajuns but not so much that we are going to give our hard earned money so a coach does not coach. I think we can all agree HUD is 100% accountable for the product on the field. He knows his back is against the wall. I am curious to see if he can finally put a competent offense and defense on the field in the same year. If he can't his contract should not be renewed.

  15. #235
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    It isn't just Hud, i think it goes back to Jake. I know you are really trying to pile on the guy but damn. I still think we will do well in conference, 6-2 is not out of the question and certainly earns him another year with Davis returning. You do realize a guy playing hurt for a coach and his teammates goes against the argument that everyone on earth hates the man right?
    I'm not trying to pile on Hud on this issue. I'm telling you Davis isn't likely to have a complete season, and we've got no real alternative. The original poster was calling for a season without serious downtime. I don't see that happening.

    I don't recall Jake being out. I know Mitchell was the man of steel literally. He had a sprain that slowed him a little one season. Other than that he was 109%.

  16. #236
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm not trying to pile on Hud on this issue. I'm telling you Davis isn't likely to have a complete season, and we've got no real alternative. The original poster was calling for a season without serious downtime. I don't see that happening.

    I don't recall Jake being out. I know Mitchell was the man of steel literally. He had a sprain that slowed him a little one season. Other than that he was 109%.
    I meant that I think Jake was the last QB we had that was healthy through an entire season.

  17. #237
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    4,754
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I think express would be surprised how few people would join him in his $1,000 pledge. We all love the Cajuns but not so much that we are going to give our hard earned money so a coach does not coach. I think we can all agree HUD is 100% accountable for the product on the field. He knows his back is against the wall. I am curious to see if he can finally put a competent offense and defense on the field in the same year. If he can't his contract should not be renewed.
    I'm curious.. If we lose to ULM.. what opinion do you have in terms of Hud... I totally agree that UL will never be that school with the $$$ to fire a coach mid season w/out just cause. But us losing to Ulm this saturday and the fall out that is sure to proceed ( ZERO ATTENDANCE, lack of morale in football, people calling for HUDS HEAD, recruiting suffering, donations bottoming out etc, what your your opinion be then.

  18. #238
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,264
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    You won't need $2MM to cover the buyout and the new coaching staff salary. You just need to cover the buyout. A new coach's salary will have to be paid regardless, so the money is there through current RCAF donations and university funds. We'd very likely get a new coach in the $600K-$750K range, so there would be cost savings there.

    Update: The buyout for firing Hud as of 12/31/2017 is $1.5MM.
    Your $1.5 Mil is correct, but it doesn't take in account that both coordinators are also on contract. The rest of the staff is year-to-year according to the last information I received.

  19. #239
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,264
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is not my poinT. I understand losing more by keeping than changing. Point is where will the funds to pay the buyout come from. I don't think such a person or group of people exists in this economy. We are not talking a couple of hundred grand which was the case when Coach Bustle departed. It is 10 times that amount. School cannot borrow to do it due to what is owed for the baseball stadium. As MetryCajun has said, folks would be happy if someone ponied up those funds but we just don't know who has that kind of extra cash.
    Mike, you are under the assumption that there is no one willing to buy out Hudspeth today because no one has posted any names. That may, or may not be true. I certainly haven't spoken to anyone that is capable of shelling out that kind of money to get rid of a football coach right now. I've heard a few names tossed out, but nothing I can validate.

    I believe coaches fire themselves, meaning eventually Hudpseth's performance on and off the field will ultimately determine the rest of his tenure at UL. The question in my mind is what would Dr. Savoie do if the money was available and his AD advised him to terminate Hudspeth? Dr. Savoie is a person that considers political winds, doesn't like conflict and simply prefers to transfer poor performing subordinates to other departments rather than terminating them.

  20. #240
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,111
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Dr. Savoie is a person that considers political winds, doesn't like conflict and simply prefers to transfer poor performing subordinates to other departments rather than terminating them.
    Is that your view of Dr. Savoie? After the way he handled the AD job last year I'm not sure I agree. I understand SF was transferred but......

    Would like to hear your thoughts.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •