Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15
Results 281 to 295 of 295

Thread: Official fire hud thread

  1. #281
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,147
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Faulty logic, Pride. Your causality is backwards. 8 wins and a bowl makes a conference championship likely, but never guarantees it. 8 wins and a conference championship guarantees a bowl every year.
    Salty logic

  2. #282
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    526

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    We can disagree, but I still stay you need multiple goals to measure success. Coach Robe has a goal to win 20 games before you lose 10 for a reason. That reason is that it helps set the path to ultimate goals. Conf Champs should always be a goal, but it is possible to win the National Championship without winning your own conference if your team is good enough.


  3. #283
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,042

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Yes.

    To whom much is given, much is expected. The level of the program does not match the salary. I believe he has taken this thing as far as his capabilities and temperament will allow.

    At this point, we have to ask the question of whether we are satisfied with going Bowling more often than not, no big wins, no conference championships, or do we want more?
    You and I don't often agree completely but I definitely endorse this post.

  4. #284
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,166
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    We can disagree, but I still stay you need multiple goals to measure success. Coach Robe has a goal to win 20 games before you lose 10 for a reason. That reason is that it helps set the path to ultimate goals. Conf Champs should always be a goal, but it is possible to win the National Championship without winning your own conference if your team is good enough.
    Pride, baseball and football are entirely different animals. Coach Rob has goals because the season is very long, so he divides it into quarters. If you reach each goal 1st, 2nd and 3rd, it's more than likely you are in a regional. Nothing wrong with measured goals.

    Football coaches do it as well, out of conference schedule (Preseason) and then conference schedule. I don't like calling any part of a schedule preseason (meaning they don't matter) because this is where a number of G5 programs have raised their brands, with upsets against better competition.

    I don't have any problem with your statements. Each supporter needs to decide what is their measuring stick or standard. After watching App. State and Georgia Southern come into the conference and win championships while we have no outright championships, going bowling is secondary. Coach Hudspeth set the standard at 8 wins plus a bowl game, while it's not entirely fair to expect those results every season, it is fair to say we should be competing at the top of the worst FBS conference every season with our resources and facilities. We have not done so in the past 3 seasons. That to me, is not acceptable.

  5. #285
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Just winning the SBC championship is not enough, even though we have not even achieved that. Being competitive with Boise at home or other G5 top teams, or even any La. team not with a cat mascot is the minimum goal, imo.


  6. #286
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,147
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Just winning the SBC championship is not enough, even though we have not even achieved that. Being competitive with Boise at home or other G5 top teams, or even any La. team not with a cat mascot is the minimum goal, imo.
    1 or 2 times a,year will never present enough opportunities.

    Independent.

  7. #287
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    1 or 2 times a,year will never present enough opportunities.

    Independent.
    We have had plenty of opportunities, add to the fact that winning some will present more of them. Not a good excuse to fail when those opportunities arise.

  8. #288
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,147
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    We have had plenty of opportunities, add to the fact that winning some will present more of them. Not a good excuse to fail when those opportunities arise.
    When teams reset every year, one opportunity annually does not add up to many or plenty.

  9. #289
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    When teams reset every year, one opportunity annually does not add up to many.
    I don't think we are on the same page. How can you say that? In 2014, we played Boise and Tech. Had we won those, and our regulars, then we would have surely played one more in a bowl. That's 3 in one year.

  10. #290
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,147
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    I don't think we are on the same page. How can you say that? In 2014, we played Boise and Tech. Had we won those, and our regulars, then we would have surely played one more in a bowl. That's 3 in one year.
    You said "at home."

  11. #291
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,556

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    You said "at home."
    Ok, I will clarify, I said Boise at home, where we should have a better chance. Others..anywhere.

  12. #292
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,147
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Ok, I will clarify, I said Boise at home, where we should have a better chance. Others..anywhere.
    Imagine playing only one OOC P5 game a year.

    Pretend you are SEC Tennessee playing Florida every year.

    They haven't won since 2004.

    Imagine ONLY playing away, Tennessee's record would be even worse.

  13. #293
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,659

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Imagine playing only one OOC P5 game a year.

    Pretend you are SEC Tennessee playing Florida every year.

    They haven't won since 2004.

    Imagine ONLY playing away, Tennessee's record would be even worse.
    It's like this.

    Put Iowa State in the SBC, and they would be Texas State in a few years.

    Put Louisiana or Arkansas State in the Big-12 and they would be Kansas State in a few years.

    The question, Turbine, is how do you rise to the Big-12 level without an invite?

    I believe you and I have this answer. You join them de facto. Go. Indy. Schedule as many Big-12 schools as possible in every sport, every year. With the right plan of action, the right major push by the admin and the RCAF to coincide with the move, I believe you would see recruiting and season ticket sales absolutely skyrocket.

  14. #294
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,147
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's like this.

    Put Iowa State in the SBC, and they would be Texas State in a few years.

    Put Louisiana or Arkansas State in the Big-12 and they would be Kansas State in a few years.

    The question, Turbine, is how do you rise to the Big-12 level without an invite?

    I believe you and I have this answer. You join them de facto. Go. Indy. Schedule as many Big-12 schools as possible in every sport, every year. With the right plan of action, the right major push by the admin and the RCAF to coincide with the move, I believe you would see recruiting and season ticket sales absolutely skyrocket.
    No doubt.

    National respect goes through the roof regardless of growing pains.

  15. #295
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    280

    Default Re: Official fire hud thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's like this.

    Put Iowa State in the SBC, and they would be Texas State in a few years.

    Put Louisiana or Arkansas State in the Big-12 and they would be Kansas State in a few years.
    This is true, only because schools in question would also exchange revenue & prestige.



    The question, Turbine, is how do you rise to the Big-12 level without an invite?

    I believe you and I have this answer. You join them de facto. Go. Indy. Schedule as many Big-12 schools as possible in every sport, every year. With the right plan of action, the right major push by the admin and the RCAF to coincide with the move, I believe you would see recruiting and season ticket sales absolutely skyrocket.
    Playing a B12 schedule but still having a SBC budget will not work. B12 schools are not going to play a home-home schedule with UL, so you will have 8 B12 road games and 4 Southland Conference home games. Not sure that will sell season tickets. One positive is that UL may be able to compete with other G5 schools for future in state recruits rather than beating out McNeese & Nichols for current recruits

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •