Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

  1. #1

    UL Football UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    On paper, the Tulsa Golden Hurricane offense is most likely on a short list of worst mid-major units for the UL Ragin' Cajuns to be facing this week.

    Coming off a scary 51-48 nail-biting win over Southeastern, defensive coordinator Mike Lucas and his Cajuns now must try to slow down a high-powered Tulsa attack.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,006
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    If the defense that held SLU to 7 points for 29 minutes of the second half shows up, ...

    ... Louisiana will win.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Humble, TX
    Posts
    1,845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If the defense that held SLU to 7 points for 29 minutes of the second half shows up, ...

    ... Louisiana will win.
    Bubble wrap Walker.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Our defense faces a tough test...warming up.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,696

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    This game will tell the tale of the season. Based on Huds comments it sounds like they plan to run the ball and play keep away, more of the last 2 years in other words. If play calling go's vanilla after Davis's first interception then this season is over. We need to go in there and pull every damn play out of the playbook we can.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    This game will tell the tale of the season. Based on Huds comments it sounds like they plan to run the ball and play keep away, more of the last 2 years in other words. If play calling go's vanilla after Davis's first interception then this season is over. We need to go in there and pull every damn play out of the playbook we can.
    I have no problem with that game plan if it's working...continuing to stick with an unsuccessful game plan is the problem.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,349

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    Accurate.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    490

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    Cajuns and over 66. Parlay lock! You're all welcome.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,972

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Cajuns and over 66. Parlay lock! You're all welcome.
    If you can get it at 66, do it immediately. I bet that line moves over 70 before kickoff.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    This game will tell the tale of the season. Based on Huds comments it sounds like they plan to run the ball and play keep away, more of the last 2 years in other words. If play calling go's vanilla after Davis's first interception then this season is over. We need to go in there and pull every damn play out of the playbook we can.
    If we can keep them from running 100 plays by driving the ball down the field while burning the play clock, I'm all for it. Vanilla all the way. I'm all for a 3-0 win

  12. #12
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,181
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    I have no problem with that game plan if it's working...continuing to stick with an unsuccessful game plan is the problem.
    Hud always "wants" to run the ball... to eat up clock, keep the defense off the field, pound their DL and hope to soften it up, lessen the chance of a turnover, etc, etc, etc. But the reality of it is... and Hud has to know it... he has to open up this offense in order to win 6 this year. He is not going to withdraw into pounding the ball and win more than 4 games. There are ways to produce open looks for JD to throw.

    If the rushing attack works... it's obviously the smart way to go. But we also need to get the passing game moving. The rest of the season depends on it. Our defense is just going to have to pull their own weight. If not against Tulsa... then when?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Hud always "wants" to run the ball... to eat up clock, keep the defense off the field, pound their DL and hope to soften it up, lessen the chance of a turnover, etc, etc, etc. But the reality of it is... and Hud has to know it... he has to open up this offense in order to win 6 this year. He is not going to withdraw into pounding the ball and win more than 4 games. There are ways to produce open looks for JD to throw.

    If the rushing attack works... it's obviously the smart way to go. But we also need to get the passing game moving. The rest of the season depends on it. Our defense is just going to have to pull their own weight. If not against Tulsa... then when?
    Absolutely, controlling the clock does not have to equal 3 yards and a cloud of dust. You can move the chains, throw the ball, attack and be creative while controlling the clock.

  14. #14
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    We don't need to eat that clock, we simply need to score touchdowns.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    If we can keep them from running 100 plays by driving the ball down the field while burning the play clock, I'm all for it. Vanilla all the way. I'm all for a 3-0 win
    We've tried this the last 2 years with zero success and zero adjustments. We were able to do it in 13-14 but we arent built that way now. At least I don't think we are. We'll find out Saturday.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,239

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We don't need to eat that clock, we simply need to score touchdowns.
    Agreed. You run the offense that scores you points. If it means rushing for 250 yards, fine. If it means slinging it 45 times, fine. It will likely require some balance between the running and passing game and we have to run our offense. I hate the term "open up the playbook". I'm a firm believer in running your offense. Execution trumps all. Teams can get an idea of what you do best but if you execute properly and efficiently, you will be successful. See 2008 when our offense seemingly ran about 7 plays. We were amongst the best offenses in the country statistically and were on a course to challenge for the conference title until both Des and Fenroy got banged up.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    If we throw the ball 45 times, the chances are we lose 55-28 or some other unsatisfying score. Tulsa will score if given the opportunity. I think the best chance to win this game is to limit their opportunities to score. Of course. we still need to play our game, whatever that is, but I think we will be disappointed if we try to get into a shootout with one of the best offensive teams in the country.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,006
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    If we throw the ball 45 times, the chances are we lose 55-28 or some other unsatisfying score. Tulsa will score if given the opportunity. I think the best chance to win this game is to limit their opportunities to score. Of course. we still need to play our game, whatever that is, but I think we will be disappointed if we try to get into a shootout with one of the best offensive teams in the country.
    Limiting opportunities would only look better on paper.

    21-14 vs 42-28 the percentages would stay the same.

    To me the bigger danger is not running your most effective offense just so the stats don't make you look as bad.

  19. #19
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    For the record, Hud said that we didn't open up the playbook vs SLU. Guessing he felt fine with our scoring against SLU, and just needed more from defense.


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,808

    Default Re: UL defense faces huge test in Tulsa

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Hud always "wants" to run the ball... to eat up clock, keep the defense off the field, pound their DL and hope to soften it up, lessen the chance of a turnover, etc, etc, etc. But the reality of it is... and Hud has to know it... he has to open up this offense in order to win 6 this year. He is not going to withdraw into pounding the ball and win more than 4 games. There are ways to produce open looks for JD to throw.

    If the rushing attack works... it's obviously the smart way to go. But we also need to get the passing game moving. The rest of the season depends on it. Our defense is just going to have to pull their own weight. If not against Tulsa... then when?
    It's like this.

    I want to do whatever it takes to beat the team in front of us on Saturday. This Saturday, that calls for ball control.

    Next Saturday, unload the playbook.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •