Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 160

Thread: Halftime Retention

  1. #81
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5,994

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    We would need to win 8+ games for a decade and win 90% of our home games. If we did that then we would slowly build a base of 25-30k fans.

    We won't ever draw 40+ in a G5 league.


  2. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Carencro
    Posts
    850

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    How do you propose bringing better teams in?
    I have no proposal, but just stating the obvious.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,115
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    How do you propose bringing better teams in?
    Independent.

    You have 12 opportunities to create opportunities as opposed to 3 or 4

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Carencro
    Posts
    850

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Its more than that. We started with McNeese last year, at team that we sold out Cajun Field the last time they were here plus some. We had roughly 24,000, maybe a tad more to start the season. We've had Kansas State and Oklahoma State in here, neither time did we even come close to a capacity crowd. Its more than just bringing in better teams.
    25,881 for Oklahoma state at the time about 5k short of capacity, also on a weeknight.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Carencro
    Posts
    850

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    we may not sell out but we will sure do better than we are now!


  6. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,647

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Keep the FCS game. As shown Sat. night, it is a needed prep game for the rest of the season, and a probable win that counts.

    This leaves 3 non-conference games. I am a HUGE proponent of playing as many P5 schools as possible, but I also see the upside of playing the schools that recruit against us, like Houston, Rice, SMU, Tech, Tulane, USM and Memphis. What is ridiculous is scheduling anybody from the MAC or any other G5 school not in our footprint.

    Given this criteria, this year's schedule is almost perfect. Tulsa is borderline as a recruiting foe, but there is street cred to gain for us with a win.

    Bottom line. If we can't get Bowl eligible with the FCS game and the SBC schedule alone, then we have no business going Bowling.

    Outside of the Access Bowl, Bowl games do very little to advance your program. Victories over P5 schools and schools you recruit against advance your program.

    Build it. The fans will come.

    Of the things to worry about for the health of our program, attendance is about #3,452 on that list.


  7. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,222

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79 View Post
    25,881 for Oklahoma state at the time about 5k short of capacity, also on a weeknight.
    -Pre-Hud
    -Still a team people did not believe in (average record for 5 years)
    -Weeknight
    -Okie St was not the power they are now at that time

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    -Pre-Hud
    -Still a team people did not believe in (average record for 5 years)
    -Weeknight
    -Okie St was not the power they are now at that time
    Disagree about OK States status at the time. I'd even say they were more relevant then than they are now. They didn't finish the '12 season on a high, but coming into Cajun field they were highly regarded being they went 12-1 in '11. Weeden and Blackmon were huge then.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,996

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Independent.

    You have 12 opportunities to create opportunities as opposed to 3 or 4
    But if we cant bring in schools that will move the fan attendance needle now, how is going independent going to change that?

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,642

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    As long as the marketing subject remains "Lafayette" the crowds will lack numbers.

    Not a broad enough base.

    The invitation, attraction, and mention needs to be Acadiana and Louisiana at large for any chance at growth.

    jmo
    Turbine,
    I think it is a stretch and grabbing for straws blaming the crowd size on the name issue.

  11. #91
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,772

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    You should not underestimate the whole trump video and response debacle when looking at crowd size this year. In just last week I personally talked to several long time fans who did not renew their tickets because of it.
    No doubt the memories of the political video are a factor. How much of one I don't know. A good season this year may bring those folks back next year.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,222

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    No doubt that is a factor. How much of one I don't know. A good season this year may bring those folks back next year.
    A win against Tulsa will bring those folks back..

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,244

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    It's a cop out, easier to blame a video than admit you are a bandwagon fan. If we went 10-2 or 11-2 hardly anyone would give 2 shts about the video and it certainly wouldn't cause them to drop their tickets. To be clear I don't care if people are bandwagon fans, it's your money do with it what you want...but if we were a damn good football team, the stadium would be packed and hardly anyone would care about the video or the arrests except the haters...other schools.


  14. #94
    RaginScotsman's Avatar
    RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,163

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    I get the opponent will bring a crowd argument. It has worked somewhat in the past, but has usually fallen short. K-State was a win in 09' and we didn't have 16,500 there to see it.

    Win and you build interest regardless of who you're playing. 32,823-North Texas (10/15/11), 30,028-New Mexico State (11/2/13), 29,775-Troy (10/8/11), 29.758-Tulane (10/6/12), 29,031-FIU (11/1/08), 28,871-Nicholls State (9/14/13), 28,741-Nicholls State (9/17/11), 28,176-UL-Monroe (11/5/11). With the exception of the FIU game in 08' which was homecoming and Fenroy's day to break the record, all these crowds that we strive to get happened when we were winning 9 games a year. Not exactly top flight opponents.


  15. #95
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    14,760
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    It's a cop out, easier to blame a video than admit you are a bandwagon fan. If we went 10-2 or 11-2 hardly anyone would give 2 shts about the video and it certainly wouldn't cause them to drop their tickets. To be clear I don't care if people are bandwagon fans, it's your money do with it what you want...but if we were a damn good football team, the stadium would be packed and hardly anyone would care about the video or the arrests except the haters...other schools.
    Fans never ever have to explain themselves. They aren't a single entity. They are a collection of vastly disparate individuals. If we want to win them over with wins... let's just do it. If we want to stop alienating them... let's do that.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,115
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Turbine,
    I think it is a stretch and grabbing for straws blaming the crowd size on the name issue.
    My post was a follow-up to post #74 which talked about Lafayette "town" crowd cultivation.

    My point was if you think crowd cultivation is poor inside of City limits, it's non existent outside of the town.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    518

    Default Re: Halftime Retention

    Excuses are like noses, everybody has one. I have talked to many fans that came, some that did not, and some left after half. One of the most original excuses from a big fan caught me off guard. With opening weekend for football and marquis games on at the same time, this fan was able to set up multiple tvs at home to watch 3 games live at same time and our game on espn 3.
    The solution to that problem is tough.


  18. #98
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    Excuses are like noses, everybody has one. I have talked to many fans that came, some that did not, and some left after half. One of the most original excuses from a big fan caught me off guard. With opening weekend for football and marquis games on at the same time, this fan was able to set up multiple tvs at home to watch 3 games live at same time and our game on espn 3.
    The solution to that problem is tough.
    I think this is the biggest problem across all sporting events drop in attendance everywhere, the cost to attend constantly going up and the availability of almost every game in front of a 65" HDTV sitting in a climate controlled room in a recliner.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Carencro
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    I think this is the biggest problem across all sporting events drop in attendance everywhere, the cost to attend constantly going up and the availability of almost every game in front of a 65" HDTV sitting in a climate controlled room in a recliner.
    And this supports the opponent argument, why go watch average competition for $150-200 for a family when you can watch at home.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79 View Post
    And this supports the opponent argument, why go watch average competition for $150-200 for a family when you can watch at home.
    It isn't just us with attendance issues, the big time programs and pro sports are seeing it also. Why go for $200 at all when you can watch from home and get all the replays, see everything up close...hit pause and go to the bathroom, get another drink or eat and not miss any of your game.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •