_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

  1. #1

    UL Football Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    His play seemingly was overshadowed by Raymond Calais Jr.'s two first-half kickoff returns for touchdowns, the first-half tackling_and coverage woes of UL's defense and one rather wild finish.

    But in his first career start as a Ragin' Cajun, Jordan Davis showed hints that he and the UL offense have potential to provide some excitement of their own in 2017 and that they might just have what it takes to live up to all the hype they've had over a long offseason.





  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Metairie, LA.
    Posts
    4,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    His play seemingly was overshadowed by Raymond Calais Jr.'s two first-half kickoff returns for touchdowns, the first-half tackling_and coverage woes of UL's defense and one rather wild finish.

    But in his first career start as a Ragin' Cajun, Jordan Davis showed hints that he and the UL offense have potential to provide some excitement of their own in 2017 and that they might just have what it takes to live up to all the hype they've had over a long offseason.



    Defense and special teams cover teams have to catch up to the offense and appear to have a long way to go. Giving up a kickoff or punt score is always bad, but 3 of them will almost always get you beat.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,069
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Defense and special teams cover teams have to catch up to the offense and appear to have a long way to go. Giving up a kickoff or punt score is always bad, but 3 of them will almost always get you beat.
    Punt hang-time will help a lot in that regard

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Punt hang-time will help a lot in that regard
    Yes, we had a great punter last year but it seems he left under mysterious cercumstances. This guy is punting line drives and it seems like he is rushed every time. If these things don't improve quickly we will see a lot of blocked punts and punts run back for TDs this season.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    Defense and special teams cover teams have to catch up to the offense and appear to have a long way to go. Giving up a kickoff or punt score is always bad, but 3 of them will almost always get you beat.
    But we won the turnover battle. We should be happy 😀😉. Tackling was atrocious. If they don't tighten that up it's gonna get brutal this year.

  6. #6
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,450

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Tackling, I didn't see to much getting to the ball carrier. Ran free most of the night. Our DC said that he wanted to swarm the ball carrier. Whoever made the tackle the rest would swarm in....didn't see any of that.....


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,724

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Yes, we had a great punter last year but it seems he left under mysterious cercumstances. This guy is punting line drives and it seems like he is rushed every time. If these things don't improve quickly we will see a lot of blocked punts and punts run back for TDs this season.
    We should move him to LB. He's bigger than everybody there except Posey.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    League City, TX
    Posts
    1,806

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Overall, what was everyone's opinion of the QB and offense? Do not mention the defense please.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,724

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    Overall, what was everyone's opinion of the QB and offense? Do not mention the defense please.
    Well, it was better than last year but I don't know how much. The running game was much better but I want to see them go up against Tulsa or ULM before I say we've really turned that corner with our OL play because they were not all that impressive against SLU. I thought JD did some nice things but also missed a lot of throws and didn't show a lot of poise at times when rushed. Offensively, we didn't just pound the zone read up the interior linemen's butts like last year and I was glad we were able to start stretching some runs to the outside.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,107
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    Overall, what was everyone's opinion of the QB and offense? Do not mention the defense please.
    I thought M. Barnes and E. Mitchell looked pretty good. J. Davis missed on a few but overall did not play bad for his first start. He should improve. The other running backs looked ok, we should be fine at RB when Hoggins returns. The only way we could look decent at RB is if the OL did some work. they did. Some wide receivers were getting open, something we haven't seen much lately but they could have battled much better for the 50-50 balls. The jury is still out on the scheme and play calling.

    Punt team and kick coverage both suck, along with the side of the ball we are not mentioning here. jMO

  11. #11
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by Fais do-do View Post
    Overall, what was everyone's opinion of the QB and offense? Do not mention the defense please.
    I thought JD played well. The RBs played well. The OL played well. I actually thought the entire offense played very well for the first game of the season. I didn't expect us to go to the full playbook, and was pleasantly surprised at some of the plays called. Overall... a perfectly good performance. I would expect no less against an FCS contest... but seeing how we were the past 2 seasons, I walked away with some hope for our offense.

  12. #12
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,654

    UL Football Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I thought JD played well. The RBs played well. The OL played well. I actually thought the entire offense played very well for the first game of the season. I didn't expect us to go to the full playbook, and was pleasantly surprised at some of the plays called. Overall... a perfectly good performance. I would expect no less against an FCS contest... but seeing how we were the past 2 seasons, I walked away with some hope for our offense.
    they outmuscled our offensive and defensive lines. Neither played well

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,727

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Davis had time in the pocket for much of the game. I don't remember AJ having that much time even against crappy teams. It's still early but I would say the o line is improved over last year.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,999

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    they outmuscled our offensive and defensive lines. Neither played well
    The offensive line played fine.
    Unfair to say other wise.

  15. #15
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,654

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    I saw damed few holes. Nothing like the SLU backs. But if running through tackles at the line all night isn't a problem, OK


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,211

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    Davis had time in the pocket for much of the game. I don't remember AJ having that much time even against crappy teams. It's still early but I would say the o line is improved over last year.
    OL was solid. I did not think Davis was patient enough on some routes and could have pushed the ball down field more. It may have been he is not used to having time in the pocket. I would have liked to have seen a few more plays for Dion Ray in the zone read.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    297

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I saw damed few holes. Nothing like the SLU backs. But if running through tackles at the line all night isn't a problem, OK
    Good thing you are not a running back.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    285

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The offensive line played fine.
    Unfair to say other wise.
    Our line did play well. Overall, they look like they are in better physical shape this year.

  19. #19
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cajuns QB Davis admits to some nervousness in win

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    they outmuscled our offensive and defensive lines. Neither played well
    I didn't see that. I think SLU occasionally bull rushed and found some success. But overall, I think our OL held firm on pass rushes, and pushed enough to give our rushers some operating space. As for SLU, most of their big yardage was gained on end around runs, not up the middle. Our defense was over pursuing and getting trapped. I want to credit their coaches for that (because I want to hope our defensive players are talented enough to be coached up as this season moves along). I hope Lucas has 50 solid answers he can go over with the defense... and completely untangle the head knot they were in on Saturday.

    But as for our offense... in game 1... despite it being against an FCS defense... I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the plays, the overall execution, and the talent. And I think our passing game is only going to get better than what we saw Saturday. My gripe was with our defense and special teams coverage (almost exclusively).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •