Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Performing up to the talent you have.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,722

    Default Performing up to the talent you have.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    More impressive...we have two players on NBA rosters.
    I think that says more about those two players than the program. Both of them were on the same roster, and we couldn't win the lousy SunBelt.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    OAK RIDGE, NC
    Posts
    3,624

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Question.....

    I know Jay Wright was injured at the end of the season, but my thoughts are that he will play professionally if he wants to, overseas, I mean. Does anyone know if Jay plans on playing internationally or are his playing days over?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    I think that says more about those two players than the program. Both of them were on the same roster, and we couldn't win the lousy SunBelt.
    We lost the regular season that year to GA State. They had an NBA talent and multiple P5 talents. Not really fair to discredit our team when they won the conference tournament.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    We lost the regular season that year to GA State. They had an NBA talent and multiple P5 talents. Not really fair to discredit our team when they won the conference tournament.
    And GAST won a tourney game. So there's that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    We lost the regular season that year to GA State. They had an NBA talent and multiple P5 talents. Not really fair to discredit our team when they won the conference tournament.
    We were actually the 3 seed that year behind both GA State and W. Kentucky. Made the tournament run even more impressive because we had to play an extra game. Plus the quarter final game against UTA went late into Friday night after Ark State and UALR went into 3 overtimes the game before. I think we played 3 games in about a 40 hour stretch, it was a great weekend of basketball.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    And GAST won a tourney game. So there's that.
    True. But that's not the debate.

    Compared to our own history, that 2014 team is the only team to even make the dance in past 12 years (17 years if you want to speak technically). So did they actually underperform when EP & Shawn were on the floor? I would say No being no one else has done that in recent time.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,048

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    True. But that's not the debate.

    Compared to our own history, that 2014 team is the only team to even make the dance in past 12 years (17 years if you want to speak technically). So did they actually underperform when EP & Shawn were on the floor? I would say No being no one else has done that in recent time.
    I misunderstood your reference. I agree with your premise.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    783

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    I wonder if Marlin lands a few of these kids how fast people flip on their opinion of him.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    I wonder if Marlin lands a few of these kids how fast people flip on their opinion of him.
    If he continues to not win with talent like he has before...it won't, it will get worse. He has had talent before and didn't do anything special with it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,103

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    I wonder if Marlin lands a few of these kids how fast people flip on their opinion of him.
    Maybe if they stayed a few years and helped build a program we feel we should have but what good is it if he signs them and they leave after a season or semester. I'd wait to make any changes to my opinion.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,722

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    We lost the regular season that year to GA State. They had an NBA talent and multiple P5 talents. Not really fair to discredit our team when they won the conference tournament.
    My apologies. I wasn't trying to comment necessarily on the team, but rather, the head coach.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,722

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    If he continues to not win with talent like he has before...it won't, it will get worse. He has had talent before and didn't do anything special with it.
    This!

  13. #13
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,178

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    We lost the regular season that year to GA State. They had an NBA talent and multiple P5 talents. Not really fair to discredit our team when they won the conference tournament.
    We were 3rd in the regular season. In the 17th ranked conference.

    With 2 NBA players.

    I rest my case.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    We were 3rd in the regular season. In the 17th ranked conference.

    With 2 NBA players.

    I rest my case.
    So postseason just doesnt count? The NBA talent & P5 talent on the first place team that year just doesn't exist?

    If we're going to measure teams by regular season titles, here's 2 good fun facts: the 1999 & 2000 baseball teams did not win conference titles. Also, according to Wikipedia, we've won 3 regular season basketball titles since the death penalty. Have we not had more than 3 good teams since that first title in '77??

    I'm not saying ole Bob set the world on fire that year, but he/the team accomplished something that season that has last been done 17 years ago.

    (Hate using Wiki as source, but apparently our official website doesn't have records anywhere other than 100+ page media guide that I'm not looking through)

  15. #15
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,781

    UL Basketball Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    We've had teams that could punch anyone in the nose and win. Not one nose punching team with Bob that I recall.

    The NCAA year, and that's all he's done, we were third not second to GSU, but behind WKU with no notable P5 players , or NBA future players to my knowledge.

    Bobby has a record inflated with non Division one wins, and hasn't challenged a P5 team.

    All in all mediocre in a weak conference. Don't know why some keep wanting to recreate him. I'm not interested in his record being among the best in 17 years. We're in agreement that bar has been very low since Jesse departed. Still doesn't make him good.
    L
    Let's see how he does with the alleged bountiful talent. He can then bow or bow out. Anything less than a top two regular season ranking and deep into conference championship has to be disappointing.


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,536
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    We were 3rd in the regular season. In the 17th ranked conference.

    With 2 NBA players.

    I rest my case.
    Was that their sophomore, junior year?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We've had teams that could punch anyone in the nose and win. Not one nose punching team with Bob that I recall.

    The NCAA year, and that's all he's done, we were third not second to GSU, but behind WKU with no notable P5 players , or NBA future players to my knowledge.

    Bobby has a record inflated with non Division one wins, and hasn't challenged a P5 team.

    All in all mediocre in a weak conference. Don't know why some keep wanting to recreate him. I'm not interested in his record being among the best in 17 years. We're in agreement that bar has been very low since Jesse departed. Still doesn't make him good.
    L
    Let's see how he does with the alleged bountiful talent. He can then bow or bow out. Anything less than a top two regular season ranking and deep into conference championship has to be disappointing.
    I agree with most of this. Only trying to say you can't leave out their post season accomplishments just bc the regular season results weren't up to par.

    To clarify, I'm not bragging about his record compared to the last 17 years. Only debating about that teams NCAA appearance being the only 1 we've had in 17 years.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Was that their sophomore, junior year?
    Yes.

  19. #19
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,781

    UL Basketball Re: 4 star basketball recruit, Jordan Brown, has UL among his final 7

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    I agree with most of this. Only trying to say you can't leave out their post season accomplishments just bc the regular season results weren't up to par.

    To clarify, I'm not bragging about his record compared to the last 17 years. Only debating about that teams NCAA appearance being the only 1 we've had in 17 years.
    He's had seven of those 17 years, and only one conference final which we won by the most incredible finish in two straight games.

    Just trying to keep it real, as every year we get the what if comments. What if he goes to the NCAA, what if he wins 28 regular season, what if???

    When he starts doing those what if's on a consistent basis we can have that discussion. In the meantime I'll keep hoping he exceeds my expectations by a lot.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    He's had seven of those 17 years, and only one conference final which we won by the most incredible finish in two straight games.

    Just trying to keep it real, as every year we get the what if comments. What if he goes to the NCAA, what if he wins 28 regular season, what if???

    When he starts doing those what if's on a consistent basis we can have that discussion. In the meantime I'll keep hoping he exceeds my expectations by a lot.
    I'm with you. In my opinion, if he doesn't win conference this year or win in the NCAA, he needs to go.

    Just trying to be fair. He's the only coach in our program that people discredit his actual 1 goood accomplishment bc he didn't win the regular season. As mentioned earlier, our 2 best baseball teams in UL history didn't even win the conference, but that's never brought up to discredit them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •