Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Johnston street

Default Re: Johnston street

Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    It did not betray the moral compass of the noble rural acadians who routinely did it. The wealthy slave owning plantation owners moral compasses were warped. You fail to acknowledge that good exists in this world today because we are descended from the good that came before us. That is what I choose to honor.
    In all seriousness, I get what you're saying.

Again, this "good/bad" thing has been debated for millennia. The men that wrote a governing document proclaiming self evident truths about human rights were, themselves, slave owners! It is an effort in futility to try and understand that way of thinking, and even more ridiculous to take today's societal norms and apply them to pre Civil War societal norms. I don't even think that's debatable. Furthermore, judging men of note from our history based on the single worst thing they ever did in life is also patently absurd.

I think we can at least agree that this statue thing has absolutely nothing to do with what we're arguing about...

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Flip side of the coin...you are demonizing history. The true story probably resides somewhere in the middle.
    The account I provide of history is an accurate one. True I have placed the value judgment that blacks and acadians were wrongfully persecuted. This is not merely the flipside of a coin espousing General Mouton as a noble prosecutor of horse and cattle thieves. General Mouton did not transcend the thinking of his time, but thank God for those who survived him and did. A lot of people do bad things thinking it's right, but we should learn from and evaluate history. Much of the history people are suddenly up in arms about preserving isn't history but mythology. General Mouton was a product of his time but I stand that his actions were wrongful. The historical contemporaries he persecuted would have used harsher wording than wrongful. The oppressed and persecuted don't suffer in mute allegiance and one day awaken due to an enlightened agitator. Those who suffered knew all along.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    In all seriousness, I get what you're saying.

Again, this "good/bad" thing has been debated for millennia. The men that wrote a governing document proclaiming self evident truths about human rights were, themselves, slave owners! It is an effort in futility to try and understand that way of thinking, and even more ridiculous to take today's societal norms and apply them to pre Civil War societal norms. I don't even think that's debatable. Furthermore, judging men of note from our history based on the single worst thing they ever did in life is also patently absurd.

I think we can at least agree that this statue thing has absolutely nothing to do with what we're arguing about...
    Hey MAT I forgot what we were arguing about! Was it about the importance of winning an outright title in the SBC in football first...

If you think that "taxation and cotton" is somehow separate from "we need/want slaves" you need to retake 7th grade history.
    It doesn't matter what other societies have done or how slaves came to be in the US, there is no honor or glory in it. Context has zero to do with it.
    Washington and Jefferson are not honored because they were slave owners. They are honored because without them there would be no United States. Honoring Lee is absurd if you call yourself an American. Lee fought our country. Remember the history and learn from it. Don't glorify a failed rebellion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    If you think that "taxation and cotton" is somehow separate from "we need/want slaves" you need to retake 7th grade history.
    It doesn't matter what other societies have done or how slaves came to be in the US, there is no honor or glory in it. Context has zero to do with it.
    Washington and Jefferson are not honored because they were slave owners. They are honored because without them there would be no United States. Honoring Lee is absurd if you call yourself an American. Lee fought our country. Remember the history and learn from it. Don't glorify a failed rebellion.
    Who the hell is glorifying it? At one point in history, perhaps, but like most things, that statue has grown to tell the story of our heritage. It's not a temple that people go and worship at the feet of. All this time no one gave a damn about these statues, but all of a sudden, our society just can't go on living this way? Give me a break.

Taxation and Cotton were THE reason for the Civil War. That is not debatable. And yes, I agree that slavery is directly tied to those issues, but don't try to turn this into a social issue. These decisions and conditions were made STRICTLY as business considerations. Owners needed slaves to make money. If they had robots back then, they wouldn't have chosen the slaves over the robots (which is what your side is saying -- these men were inherently evil and thus enjoyed abusing Blacks and Minorities) Slavery was an operating expense, a budget line. Was it awful? OF COURSE IT WAS ______ING AWFUL. What human being would even have to ask?

I'm well aware of my history. It's the useful morons destroying statues that have no idea what the hell they are "protesting". That's the point, and that's a huge problem. Anarchists are piggy backing off of low hanging fruit to have carte blanche to ______ shtt up.

BTW, go and take a look at past civilizations that tried to erase the "bad" aspects of their cultures. When you see the pattern, please get back to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Ulysses S. Grant were are graduates of West Point with the same military training. All three have had some impact in the US military strategy long after their deaths, so their historical importance goes beyond their roles as Generals on opposing sides during the American Civil War. I worship none of them. Ironically Grant was the last sitting President to have owned slaves, but he is honored because he lead the North to final victory.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Robert E Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Ulysses S. Grant were are graduates of West Point with the same military training. All three have had some impact in the US military strategy long after their deaths, so their historical importance goes beyond their roles as Generals on opposing sides during the American Civil War. I worship none of them. Ironically Grant was the last sitting President to have owned slaves, but he is honored because he lead the North to final victory.
    And this is getting to the heart of what we're trying to say. The moralist bullshtt has got to stop. Because anyone, ANYONE of repute from the past, on any side of any cause, has baggage.

So you're pro-fascist?
    You are confused.

You could learn a lot from:

http://www.bigliebook.com

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    You are confused.

You could learn a lot from:

http://www.bigliebook.com
    I would say that one would be a lot dumber after reading that book... if possible for a reader of that book. I bet a lot that buy it don't actually make it through it but reference it regardless. You could read a thousand books of that ilk and one thing you wouldn't be is well read.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    True the civil war was about a lot of things but it does not excuse the fact that we went there chained them up and brought them here as slaves and if the south had won it would have continued
    I am woefully unversed on the first part. Did the buyers "went there"?

I thought it was its own economy with a European feeder system aspect.

Last part, I agree. Sadly.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    True the civil war was about a lot of things but it does not excuse the fact that we went there chained them up and brought them here as slaves and if the south had won it would have continued

...not for very long.

The industrial revolution made slavery obsolete as an economic model.

God bless the internal combustion engine.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Hold on..I thought Freedom wasn't Free?
    ...and, I was wrong for agreeing with that sentiment. I have learned the pitfalls of party lines are many.

The real struggle is the ruling class statists versus the people, all over the world.

Issues like racism and terrorism are really tools the ruling class uses to keep us divided so they can conquer.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    ...and, I was wrong for agreeing with that sentiment. I have learned the pitfalls of party lines are many.

The real struggle is the ruling class statists versus the people, all over the world.

Issues like racism and terrorism are really tools the ruling class uses to keep us divided so they can conquer.
    So Freedom isn't Free...and it charges interest?

Please let football season begin!!!

Just like stopping the flow of drugs across our southern border is folly as long as there is demand, had there not been a market for slaves, there would have been no slavery. You can try to boil slavery down to simple economics if you want but that doesnt address the social aspect as witnessed by the Jim Crow era after reconstruction.
    I am not advocating the whitewashing of history like history textbooks calling slaves "immigrants" or "workers" but I am questioning the history aspect of Confederate statues in Arizona, Montana and Oklahoma. Again, the monument isn't the history.

I would say that one would be a lot dumber after reading that book... if possible for a reader of that book. I bet a lot that buy it don't actually make it through it but reference it regardless. You could read a thousand books of that ilk and one thing you wouldn't be is well read.
    Instead of having a closed mind (typical) and instead of trashing the http://www.bigliebook.com maybe - just maybe you should check out the content, arguments, and sources first. Just sayin'... we all need to have an open mind... Sure - make your own decision - but at least hear the arguments. You might actually be smarter for it! Things are not always as they seem - especially when driven by the fakenews media.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whataburger View Post
    Please let football season begin!!!
    Football represents cruelty to pigs. It's all about male dominance. We must get rid of it and the symbols associated with it. Heck, why stop at football. Let's burn everything to the ground and start over. Mankind today is so overwhelmingly enlightened to a much greater way of running governments and getting along peacefully with one another... if we just eliminated the symbols of our past. Everything that is reminds me of mans transgressions. Burn it all to the ground. It will cleanse us all. It's the solution we've long sought and just not had the intelligence, until now, to make our final destiny of our purified existence.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Instead of having a closed mind (typical) and instead of trashing the http://www.bigliebook.com maybe - just maybe you should check out the content, arguments, and sources first. Just sayin'... we all need to have an open mind... Sure - make your own decision - but at least hear the arguments. You might actually be smarter for it! Things are not always as they seem - especially when driven by the fakenews media.
    What is closed to debate is the books author, Dinesh D Souza, is an anti-black racist, known for his vulgar racist tweets. Did you enjoy them as well? He has also been convicted of campaign finance fraud. Crap such as this has not benefitted you, I'll pass.

What is closed to debate is the books author, Dinesh D Souza, is an anti-black racist, known for his vulgar racist tweets. Did you enjoy them as well? He has also been convicted of campaign finance fraud. Crap such as this has not benefitted you, I'll pass.
    That is total BS. You have to be an ultra left wing, antifa mf. He tells the historical truth about Democrats and how they are the ones who mistreated blacks and even today keep them in economic slavery with total dependence on government funding for votes to keep democrats in office. Nothing racist about the truth. It is people like you that are causing this country to go down the toilet. Thank God for His intervention in Trump being elected to save this country from ultra liberals who would tear down everything.

Go back and listen to Malcolm X speeches and what he thought about the white liberals and their threat to the black community, its what got him killed. Liberals are the most racist group in this country. They insult the black community constantly and don't even realize they are doing it. They keep racism alive more than anyone.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast