_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 164

Thread: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    Or...We could quit being ruled by fear of a handful of perverse malcontents and bring back Cayenne!
    Cayenne was an utter failure, no one noticed it was missing till an entire school year rolled around.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    For the 1 millionth time, *sigh*, when your nickname is a group of people, your mascot must either be a physical representation of said people or a background figure that further defines who you are as a people.

    In our case, selecting a highly marketable mascot will lessen the branding initiatives just released by the AD. Ragin Cajuns is the primary brand. Not Bulldogs. Not Pelicans. And certainly NOT GATORS.

    If we aren't going to select the Catahoula, then our mascot is better off being a great Spirit Leader like the Fabulous Cajun Chicken. The Crawfish man in the above post could work. If we could somehow transform Cayenne into a more lovable figure, I actually would be OK in bringing him back. It would certainly be much better for our branding initiatives than a Gator.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    IMO Turbine the Red Bull Gator is the way we should go, BUT he needs to be Kid Friendly! So a little less intimidating, Cajun/Creole type HAT , maybe some hip waders with his clawed feet popping out the boots, Louisiana across his chest, fleur-de-lis's patterned a cross his waders, Ragin Cajun's on his Tail Armor bumps, etc. what say you?
    "Anybody seen my hat?"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,515

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I have no idea wtf you are rambling about.

    My personal thought is that spending this much time on a mascot is wasteful. Mascots are a novelty of the past. Like someone else pointed out, no matter what we introduce in this day and age, it will be made fun of. Why even bother? We are the most recognizable brand in the G5 (at least) and most unique monicker in sports, period.

    We don't need a mascot.
    100% of this.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    For the 1 millionth time, *sigh*, when your nickname is a group of people, your mascot must either be a physical representation of said people or a background figure that further defines who you are as a people.

    In our case, selecting a highly marketable mascot will lessen the branding initiatives just released by the AD. Ragin Cajuns is the primary brand. Not Bulldogs. Not Pelicans. And certainly NOT GATORS.

    If we aren't going to select the Catahoula, then our mascot is better off being a great Spirit Leader like the Fabulous Cajun Chicken. The Crawfish man in the above post could work. If we could somehow transform Cayenne into a more lovable figure, I actually would be OK in bringing him back. It would certainly be much better for our branding initiatives than a Gator.
    Never understood the Cajun Chicken. He had great antics and was a fun character, but a chicken had nothing to do with the university. The Gator is 118 years of tradition in the on-campus swamp and the stadium Swamp. It is a natural, both live animal and costume as shown.

    The same with the band name "Pride of Acadiana". Makes sense if we are the University of Acadiana. But, we are the university of the state, not a region within the state where we happen to be located. The Pride of Louisiana is the way to go and eliminate further confusion on who we are with the Acadiana reference. We are LOUISIANA.

  6. #66
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    This bullgator bs has got to stop. We don't need a mascot. The fans are the mascots. We're all "ragin Cajuns". Just show up at the games people....
    I'm definitely good with no mascot. I admit, however, that I liked the entertainment of the Fabulous Cajun Chicken (not a mascot - but a great alternative), if we could recreate it. My worry is that UL has some fruitcakes - and we've seen what they can do when left to their own creations.

    I am more about telling UL not to, once again, make us look foolish... than I am to demand what they decide to do. They're going to do something. You can bank on it. And even though it's trivial in the big scheme of things - we'll suffer loads of embarrassment if they allow silly people to just "get creative". If alpha males like the idea... it's possibly ok. If only females, beta males and art students are involved... we are doomed. I said it... and I'll stand behind it.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    2,547

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    I think Z would make a great mascot. Who could be more loveable?


  8. #68
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,527

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot


  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Does Pichouette have a Dung Beetle to push her around?
    I'm thinking a boudin ball should be our mascot. Or a link of boudin.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    I think Z would make a great mascot. Who could be more loveable?
    That old fart?

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    If only females, beta males and art students are involved... we are doomed. I said it... and I'll stand behind it.
    Great. Now Turbine is going to have to issue an apology because of you.

  12. #72
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,776

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    That old fart?
    suck it.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,048

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    The best part of Louisiana is Acadiana, we should never shy away from it, we should revel in it. Where does your argument end - Global University. We're unique, special, rare and the rest of the world gets it more than some of our own.
    It's about creating a national identity. By your thinking, we should change the name of the university. But, we are not Acadiana University. We are the University of Louisiana. We are finally getting over the LA Laf, Louisiana-Lafayette, U LA LA, etc. etc. references with our LOUISIANA identity. Why further confuse the national public with the Acadiana reference? We are sometimes our own worse enemy. The University of Louisiana, Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, Pride of Louisiana.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    None of these are anymore of a national identity. We're not the Ragin Americans. It's location in Lafayette is a strength of our University. I love and support our University and our community. I just don't share in the same name fervor. Never felt a lick of inferiority. Calling ourselves Louisiana may actually confuse the national public even more. Not looking to debate, argue, or belabor the issue. I'm cool with us just disagreeing. I actually think Cayenne was just fine and am amused by how much is being made of this. We just need to pony up for a couple of pepper suits and take care of business. I recall seeing little kids and students taking their picture with Cayenne. I even admired the enthusiasm of the painted tumblers and saw students taking photos with them. Was never sure what the guy or gal in the St Bernard costume was about? Was that McGruff the Crime Dog? But kids even swarmed around it. I believe we're better with a mascot than without, doesn't need to be profound just fun, not offensive, and its success and association with UL begins by simply showing up.
    A degree from a U that doesn't need to be explained is worth more than if you have to educate your potential employer.

    A unified brand goes a long way towards that end.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    17,205

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    None of these are anymore of a national identity. We're not the Ragin Americans. It's location in Lafayette is a strength of our University. I love and support our University and our community. I just don't share in the same name fervor. Never felt a lick of inferiority. Calling ourselves Louisiana may actually confuse the national public even more. Not looking to debate, argue, or belabor the issue. I'm cool with us just disagreeing. I actually think Cayenne was just fine and am amused by how much is being made of this. We just need to pony up for a couple of pepper suits and take care of business. I recall seeing little kids and students taking their picture with Cayenne. I even admired the enthusiasm of the painted tumblers and saw students taking photos with them. Was never sure what the guy or gal in the St Bernard costume was about? Was that McGruff the Crime Dog? But kids even swarmed around it. I believe we're better with a mascot than without, doesn't need to be profound just fun, not offensive, and its success and association with UL begins by simply showing up.
    This post is exactly why we are where we are with regard to the name issues. People STILL don't understand the value of a statewide appeal. Ditching the directional "feel" has been imperative for decades. I think the intrinsic value is self evident, but apparently I'm wrong in that belief.

    Again, in the age of social media and snark being the populist currency, introducing a whiff of a mascot would be disastrous. (ex, look at the backlash after the Pelicans introduced Pierre the Nightmare Pelican) Mascots don't just entertain kids. Its fodder for nerdy bloggers and offseason insults. We've had our share of that over the years. No thanks.

    Also, why did you feel the need to put "not offensive" in your closing remarks? Can't help yourself?

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,895

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    We will never find a better mascot for the University of Louisiana Cajuns than a Catahoula.

    Official State dog further strengthens our marketing initiative as Louisiana.
    The story of the Cataholua reads like the story of Louisiana.
    It has a history of hunting big game in the Swamps and backwoods of Louisiana along side our ancestors.

    Kids love dogs. Chicks love dogs. Alpha and Beta males love dogs.

    And, it will never be confused with the mascot of any other FBS university.


    UT Vols - Dog
    TAMU Aggies - Dog
    UL Cajuns - Dog


    This should have been done 20 years ago.


  17. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    17,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We will never find a better mascot for the University of Louisiana Cajuns than a Catahoula.

    Official State dog further strengthens our marketing initiative as Louisiana.
    The story of the Cataholua reads like the story of Louisiana.
    It has a history of hunting big game in the Swamps and backwoods of Louisiana along side our ancestors.

    Kids love dogs. Chicks love dogs. Alpha and Beta males love dogs.

    And, it will never be confused with the mascot of any other FBS university.


    UT Vols - Dog
    TAMU Aggies - Dog
    UL Cajuns - Dog


    This should have been done 20 years ago.
    I'm fine with this, it just should not be promoted as a corner stone of our identity. Cool side deal for the kids; let it go out and retrieve the kicking tee. Fine.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,301
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We will never find a better mascot for the University of Louisiana Cajuns than a Catahoula.

    Official State dog further strengthens our marketing initiative as Louisiana.
    The story of the Cataholua reads like the story of Louisiana.
    It has a history of hunting big game in the Swamps and backwoods of Louisiana along side our ancestors.

    Kids love dogs. Chicks love dogs. Alpha and Beta males love dogs.

    And, it will never be confused with the mascot of any other FBS university.


    UT Vols - Dog
    TAMU Aggies - Dog
    UL Cajuns - Dog


    This should have been done 20 years ago.
    State dog, State reptile. Same

    Louisiana Gator, Florida Gator. 50/50

    A dog is a dog in many peoples eyes and its uniqueness is lost on the masses A dog named Cat 1/100

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    17,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Penrod View Post
    I did this to explain why we're not considering Chitimacha Charley as a potential mascot. Take that you nerdy blogger!
    Typical response from the twit.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,014

    Default Re: UL taking time to get it right with Cajuns mascot

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    A degree from a U that doesn't need to be explained is worth more than if you have to educate your potential employer.

    A unified brand goes a long way towards that end.
    He's too busy seeing where "Chitimacha Charlie" fits in his "poll" to understand the VALUE of branding to a university. Using his logic, we position ourselves alongside of :

    Austin Longhorns
    Chapel Hill Tarheels
    Reno Wolfpack
    Berkeley Bears
    Madison Badgers
    Urbana-Champaign Fightin Illini

    OH, WAIT!!........

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •