Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 8/12 Scrimmage

Default Re: 8/12 Scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I don't think offense will be a problem this year. I actually think the offense will end up carrying the team.
    That makes one of us. I think the offense is going to have its issues once again. The OL is a big question mark and I'm not sold on JD. I actually don't think the coaches are either and I think we are going to see more of the same in that old offense we saw last year with few wrinkles in the pass game and limited running lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    That makes one of us. I think the offense is going to have its issues once again. The OL is a big question mark and I'm not sold on JD. I actually don't think the coaches are either and I think we are going to see more of the same in that old offense we saw last year with few wrinkles in the pass game and limited running lanes.
    Both the OC and HC are 100% sold on Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Unfortunately there's little antidotal evidence that'll be the case. The experiment with Hoarst suggests there's problems with the O Line.
    It suggests that they're trying to get a team leader, one of the smartest guys on the team, and a player every other player respects at a key position on the line. Nothing more.

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Spoke to someone who was there last Saturday. He said there are issues on the offensive side of the ball. I'm putting it mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Spoke to someone who was there last Saturday. He said there are issues on the offensive side of the ball. I'm putting it mildly.
    Since it's preseason I'm going to say that's because our defense will be awesome! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Since it's preseason I'm going to say that's because our defense will be awesome! :-)
    Defense is always ahead of offense at this point of the season. And it will be until probably week 3 or 4. It takes game time, live reps, and game speed to develop a well oiled offense.

Defense is always ahead of offense at this point of the season. And it will be until probably week 3 or 4. It takes game time, live reps, and game speed to develop a well oiled offense.
    thats what boise was saying last year until they scored on the first play from scrimmage.

We will know how the season will go after the first 2 games

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    thats what boise was saying last year until they scored on the first play from scrimmage.
    That was a complete mismatch, and a defense that was coached by a man that forgot how to switch into a goal line defense inexplicably.

Both the OC and HC are 100% sold on Davis.
    Because they have to be. When they had actual options, they couldn't get him on the field. Now, they have to put forth the best image that they are behind him completely. Maybe he has progressed and I'm sure Hud has more confidence in him than he did in the past but I don't think that light just turns on that quickly for a college QB and his growth up until this point was disappointing.

i think jordan davis will surprise a lot of people this year, and i think he would have last year given the opportunity.

i have no evidence to back this up, just a gut feeling, but i have a hunch that the guy is just a gamer, probably not that great in practice, but when its time to go, he will perform.

I've seenthe guy up close every year in preseason camp and fall camp since he's been here. Have you ever seen me say anything to the affect of "he should be our QB, he's ready, he's not strong a fair shake"? Of course not. Actually the opposite in some cases, like when everyone saw him play a quarter in 2015 and was ready to hand the team over to him. He was no where near ready.

He is a different player right now. Whether that translates to production, I have no idea. I'm just telling you guys, he's changed and matured and IMO improved a lot.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    I know this is a detail and not meant to diminish our problems last year. However, Boise did not score on the first play from scrimmage. We had them in third and long on the first series. At that point, Simeon Thomas was beaten for a big gain. They scored a few plays later. Maybe it was the sixth play from scrimmage before they scored. A person who is more literal as he gets older is coming out here.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Unfortunately there's little antidotal evidence that'll be the case. The experiment with Hoarst suggests there's problems with the O Line.
    They talked about experimenting with Horst but I don't think they ever really did it. Still, as I have said before concern about the OL is one thing we agree on.

I've seenthe guy up close every year in preseason camp and fall camp since he's been here. Have you ever seen me say anything to the affect of "he should be our QB, he's ready, he's not strong a fair shake"? Of course not. Actually the opposite in some cases, like when everyone saw him play a quarter in 2015 and was ready to hand the team over to him. He was no where near ready.

He is a different player right now. Whether that translates to production, I have no idea. I'm just telling you guys, he's changed and matured and IMO improved a lot.
    I tend to be one of those that judges this development on the field when the lights are on. I'm sure he looks better in camp than he has before but the guys who can truly lead a team on Saturday night when they have to are not as common as the guys who look good when the pressure is not on. Maybe you are right. I hope you are or our season will be in the ____ter quickly but its a whole different game when guys have to do this when it counts and god forbid things are not working out well, how they respond to that situation and lead their team. This is where I have big doubts about him.

Besides, I have some major concerns within our own coaching ranks as we have to adjust our offensive philosophy or we won't win 5 games this year. Every year this staff tells us they will "open up" the playbook or focus on downfield passing which doesn't happen and we revert back to goal line offense.

I tend to be one of those that judges this development on the field when the lights are on. I'm sure he looks better in camp than he has before but the guys who can truly lead a team on Saturday night when they have to are not as common as the guys who look good when the pressure is not on. Maybe you are right. I hope you are or our season will be in the ____ter quickly but its a whole different game when guys have to do this when it counts and god forbid things are not working out well, how they respond to that situation and lead their team. This is where I have big doubts about him.

Besides, I have some major concerns within our own coaching ranks as we have to adjust our offensive philosophy or we won't win 5 games this year. Every year this staff tells us they will "open up" the playbook or focus on downfield passing which doesn't happen and we revert back to goal line offense.
    Perhaps the difference this year is a new OC who said we will be doing things not seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Perhaps the difference this year is a new OC who said we will be doing things not seen before.
    HC, for the past 3 seasons they have made statements in the preseason about opening up the offense and being more vertical. As a matter of fact, HUD was very adamant about this going into last season. As a result, we really didn't get more vertical and when we did, it was a jump ball down the field often to a man in double coverage or worse. We've made these statements the last couple years and each year we have actually gotten less dynamic. That is why I take those statements with a grain of salt and put much more emphasis on seeing it on gameday before I buy in.

HC, for the past 3 seasons they have made statements in the preseason about opening up the offense and being more vertical. As a matter of fact, HUD was very adamant about this going into last season. As a result, we really didn't get more vertical and when we did, it was a jump ball down the field often to a man in double coverage or worse. We've made these statements the last couple years and each year we have actually gotten less dynamic. That is why I take those statements with a grain of salt and put much more emphasis on seeing it on gameday before I buy in.
    I agree with you on that. But, we had the same people running the offense and an apparently closed-minded HC who wouldn't change his offensive philosophy. After 2 losing seasons, he brings in a new OC to run a new, highly successful offense. I am going to give the new OC the benefit of the doubt unless/until I see otherwise. Has anybody been to any scrimmages to see what new schemes they are running? Whatever they are practicing now should be what we will see on Saturday.

Blog Entries

I think it is going to come down to how much they trust the QB.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm thinking it's going to come down to the O Line. Our QB is skilled enough to deliver with his arm, and legs. He's not going to be good enough if like the last two seasons he's running for his life without hardly any time for the play to develop.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3