Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 8/12 Scrimmage

Default Re: 8/12 Scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I agree with you on that. But, we had the same people running the offense and an apparently closed-minded HC who wouldn't change his offensive philosophy. After 2 losing seasons, he brings in a new OC to run a new, highly successful offense. I am going to give the new OC the benefit of the doubt unless/until I see otherwise. Has anybody been to any scrimmages to see what new schemes they are running? Whatever they are practicing now should be what we will see on Saturday.
    Correct but it appears they didn't even try which leads me to believe that either they didn't feel we had the personnel to do it (return most of the same players minus our most dynamic player in EM) or it was lip service for which has become a common thread from the HC. I realize we have a new OC but HUD has been very active in inserting himself into situations if he felt the coaching was not done to his liking and he didn't seem to change much even when we were so predictable and flat. That tells me that whatever was being called and schemed had his overall approval.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: 8/12 Scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Correct but it appears they didn't even try which leads me to believe that either they didn't feel we had the personnel to do it (return most of the same players minus our most dynamic player in EM) or it was lip service for which has become a common thread from the HC. I realize we have a new OC but HUD has been very active in inserting himself into situations if he felt the coaching was not done to his liking and he didn't seem to change much even when we were so predictable and flat. That tells me that whatever was being called and schemed had his overall approval.
    I doubt what we've seeing in scrimmages have anything to do with our game plans. This is an opportunity to see how and who's excelling in their position training. Relax until we're into a few games.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Relax until we're into a few games.
    Are you saying we'll see something within the first couple of games that will reassure us? I hear what you're saying about "scrimmages"... but I'm not "relaxed" about our football program... scrimmages or no scrimmages. I'm looking for indications in the first couple of drives against SLU to decide if we're better... or just going to get "more Hud stuff".

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'd hope we could use very little of the season game plan on SLU. Tulsa is the big test unless we struggle with SLU.

I doubt what we've seeing in scrimmages have anything to do with our game plans. This is an opportunity to see how and who's excelling in their position training. Relax until we're into a few games.
    First of all, I'm not at the scrimmages so I don't know what you are seeing but since they are only scrimmages and are potentially not representative of what we will see in games, what makes you think anything will be different? The last scrimmage showed flashes of offensive improvement per Tim Buckley and the limited stats he had. JD was on fire and led several scores which is obviously good signs of things to come.

I am always the one to temper expectations about a player or overall performance until I see them respond when the bullets fly so I'm definitely taking a wait and see approach as you suggest. I just have little past data that supports some sort of major turnaround, particularly offensively which is where we need the major improvement from last year if we are to turn this thing around.

I'd hope we could use very little of the season game plan on SLU. Tulsa is the big test unless we struggle with SLU.
    This. Tulsa will tell a lot about this team.

Neither SLU nor Tulsa will provide a good measuring stick. Like it or not this team will need time to gel. New QB, new feature back(s), new scheme, new coaches on the offensive side.

We will do the bare minimum againat SLU, like we always do when we open up against D2 schools. Tulsa, top to bottom, is much more talented and offensively skilled than we are. We're replacing all conference LBs and we'll be finding ourselves offensively. If we compete or win, that's an enormous accomplishment and should give us all bright feelings about the rest of the 2017 season.

Our first true measuring stick will be ULM. You guys can scoff at that all you want, but ULM is much improved and Viator is coming here to win. We better be ready.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Neither SLU nor Tulsa will provide a good measuring stick. Like it or not this team will need time to gel. New QB, new feature back(s), new scheme, new coaches on the offensive side.

We will do the bare minimum againat SLU, like we always do when we open up against D2 schools. Tulsa, top to bottom, is much more talented and offensively skilled than we are. We're replacing all conference LBs and we'll be finding ourselves offensively. If we compete or win, that's an enormous accomplishment and should give us all bright feelings about the rest of the 2017 season.

Our first true measuring stick will be ULM. You guys can scoff at that all you want, but ULM is much improved and Viator is coming here to win. We better be ready.

MAt, I have to agree.. This is not your grand pa's Ulmost team. Viator has upgraded their roster and against all odds, if they manage to stay D1, they will be someone to reckon with. Viator can recruit and COACH!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4