Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: Hitting woes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    810

    Default Hitting woes

    Anyone notice guys that go away from our baseball team are lighting it up. IE. Sensley, Robbins. Is the problem the style hitting taught by our coaches?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,929

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    This has been a heated topic of conversation for 3 years. Obviously there are a ton of variables involved, but imho, yes, our hitting coach and his decisions making processes (and frankly his interpersonal skills with the players) are a huge problem. Our hitters have not been receptive to his style of coaching. They do not trust him, nor do they like him very much. It's been a trend that I've been trying to (ever so slightly) bring to light.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    4,872
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    In my profession.. circumstances backed by facts are called a clue.. I cant argue this point at all. I fail to believe that hitting talent simply evaporates by putting on a Cajun Uniform.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    This has been a heated topic of conversation for 3 years. Obviously there are a ton of variables involved, but imho, yes, our hitting coach and his decisions making processes (and frankly his interpersonal skills with the players) are a huge problem. Our hitters have not been receptive to his style of coaching. They do not trust him, nor do they like him very much. It's been a trend that I've been trying to (ever so slightly) bring to light.
    Was hoping he took another job .. Doubt robe will fire the man

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Was hoping he took another job .. Doubt robe will fire the man
    Had heard some rumblings, but if true, it would have happened by now. I'm extremely disappointed to say the least.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,824

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Anyone notice guys that go away from our baseball team are lighting it up. IE. Sensley, Robbins. Is the problem the style hitting taught by our coaches?
    Yes. Of course I love hearing how well these guys are doing, but I've also said to myself "why didn't we see more of THAT while he was at UL?" often lately.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    4,264

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    Todd Lott is hitting .294 in Alaska with wood bats, versus .266 this spring.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,901
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    The heavy focus on bunting takes away from actual swings and somewhat slows down the "groove" process.

    jmo


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Todd Lott is hitting .294 in Alaska with wood bats, versus .266 this spring.
    Actually not unusual or surprising. Lott was a freshman hitting at the D1 level for the first time, there is bound to be up's and down's. There is also bound to be growth and adjustments. Moving from .266 to .294 is a lot fewer hits than you would imagine, especially considering sample size. Also, in these summer leagues the pitchers are trying to catch pro scouts attention, thus they try to light up the radar gun no ride the fastball. In the season, the focus is more on outs, so there are a lot more breaking balls and off-speed. I'm hopeful that Lott is going to do some damage next season.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Prairieville, LA
    Posts
    862
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    It's time to replace our hitting coach and get someone equal to Coach Deggs. Offense is important to winning games.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    It's time to replace our hitting coach and get someone equal to Coach Deggs. Offense is important to winning games.
    Why do people keep saying this like it's just so easy to go find a hitting coach that's the equivalent of a D1 head coach who got his team ranked and a game from Omaha in 3 years..I hate to break it to everyone, there aren't a whole lot of Matt Deggs out there and damn sure not many looking to be a hitting coach in the sun belt.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Why do people keep saying this like it's just so easy to go find a hitting coach that's the equivalent of a D1 head coach who got his team ranked and a game from Omaha in 3 years..I hate to break it to everyone, there aren't a whole lot of Matt Deggs out there and damn sure not many looking to be a hitting coach in the sun belt.
    Jace Conrad?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Jace Conrad?
    Maybe one day, but people forget Matt deggs was primed for a head job in the SEC after being the hitting coach of Arkansas and Texas A&M. If he doesn't have some personal struggles, we never know who he is or we certainly don't know him as our hitting coach. There is a reason he got a D-1 head job after only 2 years of being here. The guy is a top notch baseball coach that we were lucky to have here. I wouldn't be against Jace at all but I'm sure if he wanted to continue I'm baseball for peanuts, he would have stayed playing.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    4,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Actually not unusual or surprising. Lott was a freshman hitting at the D1 level for the first time, there is bound to be up's and down's. There is also bound to be growth and adjustments. Moving from .266 to .294 is a lot fewer hits than you would imagine, especially considering sample size. Also, in these summer leagues the pitchers are trying to catch pro scouts attention, thus they try to light up the radar gun no ride the fastball. In the season, the focus is more on outs, so there are a lot more breaking balls and off-speed. I'm hopeful that Lott is going to do some damage next season.
    Umm. So college pitchers simply go to summer ball to light up guns and hitters usually hit better with wood bats. We will agree to disagree. Lott is 6th in his 5 team league in batting. There are 7 guys over .300 out of about 100 guys.

    http://www.anchoragebucs.com/view/anchoragebucs

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,394

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Jace Conrad?
    Jace needs to be a part of this team in some capacity. Idc what his title is, but he needs to be teaching compete. Something we struggle with.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    4,872
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Jace needs to be a part of this team in some capacity. Idc what his title is, but he needs to be teaching compete. Something we struggle with.
    could not agree any more brother..

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Actually not unusual or surprising. Lott was a freshman hitting at the D1 level for the first time, there is bound to be up's and down's. There is also bound to be growth and adjustments. Moving from .266 to .294 is a lot fewer hits than you would imagine, especially considering sample size. Also, in these summer leagues the pitchers are trying to catch pro scouts attention, thus they try to light up the radar gun no ride the fastball. In the season, the focus is more on outs, so there are a lot more breaking balls and off-speed. I'm hopeful that Lott is going to do some damage next season.
    I respectfully disagree. Todd was one of the most competent hitters we had at the plate for the first 10-15 games of the season. The idea that he wasn't ready is incorrect IMO. Todd hit a wall, a very predictable wall, and because no one in the lineup was producing a lick, pitchers feasted on his monetary lack of confidence. I thought It was a major mistake to yank him from the lineup for the length of time that Talbot did, and still think it hurt his growth to this day. I'm on record as saying Todd Lott could possibly be the best pure hitter we've had here in 20 years. Very possible that inadequate coaching and direction can ruin that.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    It's time to replace our hitting coach and get someone equal to Coach Deggs. Offense is important to winning games.
    There are plenty of good hitting coaches out there; there are not many PEOPLE like Matt Deggs. I've had endless talks with dudes on 13 and 14 teams that said the intangible that Deggs brought to the table was trust and belief. Those are things that our current guy is doing a very poor job with.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    4,264

    Default Re: Hitting woes

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    There are plenty of good hitting coaches out there; there are not many PEOPLE like Matt Deggs. I've had endless talks with dudes on 13 and 14 teams that said the intangible that Deggs brought to the table was trust and belief. Those are things that our current guy is doing a very poor job with.
    Those guys all had swag forever and ever. I told my wife in June 2014, "These are the good old days." I remember Moo State tying up a Regional game 4-4, their fans chanting S-E-C, S-E-C. They lost by 6 runs.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    12,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Those guys all had swag forever and ever. I told my wife in June 2014, "These are the good old days."
    Just one mans opinion, but I think we're making a huge mistake keeping Talbot to coach this incoming class.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •