Thread: Sun Belt chief hails benefits of future 10-team structure

1. UL Football Sun Belt chief hails benefits of future 10-team structure

Sun Belt Conference commissioner Karl Benson struck a celebratory tone Monday while discussing the impending departure of two of the league's 12 teams.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Sun Belt chief hails benefits of future 10-team structure

Of course he is celebrating. He has once again pushed through an action which hurts the schools on the west side of the conference and helps the Eastern schools.

I really believe it is his goal to push UL, stAte, TX ST and ULM out of the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Of course he is celebrating. He has once again pushed through an action which hurts the schools on the west side of the conference and helps the Eastern schools.

I really believe it is his goal to push UL, stAte, TX ST and ULM out of the conference.
    We will have to disagree on this one. Idaho dropped to FCS so that didn't have anything to do with Benson and NMSU was never considered a long term viable option in the SBC because of geography.

I liked what he said below as well -

"he's also urging Sun Belt teams to be cautious about scheduling Tuesday night games. He's not convinced the benefits of national TV exposure always outweigh the challenges mid-week games create for teams and fans."

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Sun Belt chief hails benefits of future 10-team structure

I'm pretty sure those Tuesday games haven't been the yes or no to a single UL recruit. A stadium full of ragin fans on Saturday night, a parking lot full of cars and tailgaters providing gameday excitement might outsell a sparse quiet crowd on a random Tuesday game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    We will have to disagree on this one. Idaho dropped to FCS so that didn't have anything to do with Benson and NMSU was never considered a long term viable option in the SBC because of geography.

I liked what he said below as well -

"he's also urging Sun Belt teams to be cautious about scheduling Tuesday night games. He's not convinced the benefits of national TV exposure always outweigh the challenges mid-week games create for teams and fans."
    I thought the schools had no choice in this? Doesn't the conference and ESPN set this up?

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Sun Belt chief hails benefits of future 10-team structure

Correct, for as long as the current contract is in effect.