Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

  1. #21
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Mike you've bought into the it can't be done catagory. I'm pretty sure Dr. Maggard won't accept this style of scheduling excuses for too long.

    The reason we cannot get home and home with some teams you mentioned is our own abismal RPI. I'm suggesting teams in the top 100 RPI Mike, not SWAC, or SLC teams. You have to be more interested in your RPI than your bottom line.

    But Marlin is in good company that's the way almost every SBC team schedules.
    I am not in category it cannot be done. As I said earlier I would play a few more road games to improve RPI. You may also have a point in that were we to have notable success for a couple of years, we may be able to attract higher quality opponents to come here. As things stand however, we will not be able to get teams in the top 100 to come here with out doing things like 2 for 1. I already said I would consider such a move for some teams

  2. #22
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    What is the reason for this??
    Reason those schools don't want to play home and home is belief a loss to us would hurt their recruiting. StAte education administrators had to get involved to get the UNO series done. Now that they have done that, they have no interest in renewing.

  3. #23
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    I think you asked the $64,000 question. What is Maggard's philosophy about scheduling? How does he juggle the ball$ between a team's performance and facility upgrades? It's hard for me to figure out just what can be accomplished and what realistic expectations are.
    Realistic expectation to me is a year like 2013-14 happen much more frequently. When that was over CBS sports ranked our overall program in top 40 in nation. Very few mid majors were even close to that

  4. #24
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,923

    UL Basketball Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I am not in category it cannot be done. As I said earlier I would play a few more road games to improve RPI. You may also have a point in that were we to have notable success for a couple of years, we may be able to attract higher quality opponents to come here. As things stand however, we will not be able to get teams in the top 100 to come here with out doing things like 2 for 1. I already said I would consider such a move for some teams
    That's why I said charge another hundred per season tickets and you'd have the money for good visitors to build RPI. Two good schools instead of SWAC or non division one schools.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Can't have a basketball discussion without the obligatory "3 wins in March, padding the schedule" BS.

    I think its great that they are willing to look at it, but the reality is that some people will always complain about the teams that got left out and how the teams are seeded. There are much better ways to rate teams other than RPI but as the article pointed out, RPI is easy. NCAA will most likely stick with easy.
    Until the NCAA forces top P5 teams to play more OOC road games, the perennial bluebloods will always have a huge advantage come tourney seeding time.


  6. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,239

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I agree that many fans don't care anymore about basketball at schools like ours. A couple of back to back NCAA tournament appearances could change that. As far as home schedule is concerned we are still facing issue that schools like USM, Tulane, Rice, Houston, and Lamar refuse to play us home and home. Now you can add UNO to that number. Paying people to come here would likely hurt RPI as you would pay SWAc schools to come here and you would get only a few more to attend that game than a D2 school would draw. D2 has no impact on RPI unless you lose so in some ways you are better off with that approach. So what can be done about it. I like the idea of going to a place twice for a return visit here but the staff does not want to do that. Travel and impact on school is one reason. They don't want to play 18 road games and 13 home games as would result at times with that approach. In general, I would be OK with a few more road games but neither I nor anyone here is being listened to when it comes to scheduling decisions
    So Mike, the question I and many people have is why don't those schools choose to schedule us home and home? I can see in football its harder but basketball should be easier to fill that schedule. Why would teams such as USM, Tulane and Houston not come to Lafayette?

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,239

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Can't have a basketball discussion without the obligatory "3 wins in March, padding the schedule" BS.
    Its not BS. You will not build a true program if you are only concerned about getting into the tournament every 4 years or so. We've performed to this model for years and it has done nothing to enhance our program beyond what it was before. Especially when the at focus usually leads you to a 13-14 or even 16 seed for which you are playing a team you are not likely to beat.

    What many people want is a schedule and more importantly a focus on beginning that winning tradition through successful regular seasons that translate into conference championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. I can still look at a season as being "successful" if we won a conference title but were somehow left out of the Big Dance. i could look back on that season and say we did something and accomplished something.

    Also, to your point I think you make it sound a lot easier than it truly is. I don't think there is anything that the NCAA can or will do to make the P5 teams play OOC road games, certainly nothing that will make them start traveling to play the likes of UL.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So Mike, the question I and many people have is why don't those schools choose to schedule us home and home? I can see in football its harder but basketball should be easier to fill that schedule. Why would teams such as USM, Tulane and Houston not come to Lafayette?
    Because after 8 years Bob Marlin has this program where UNO thinks we are beneath them...that's what he has accomplished.

  9. #29
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Is it just me or did the prices increase by a good bit
    Mine went down $25 per ticket.

  10. #30
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,923

    UL Basketball Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    If you were in lot C last year, you'd better pay attention. Your RCAF requirement is now one grand.

    The tickets I got are a hundred dollars more for a pair. The RCAF for parking five hundred more minimum. That's a potential 700.00 more for lots of people.


  11. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So Mike, the question I and many people have is why don't those schools choose to schedule us home and home? I can see in football its harder but basketball should be easier to fill that schedule. Why would teams such as USM, Tulane and Houston not come to Lafayette?
    If Dr. Maggard can bring a P5 school to Lafayette maybe that would attract better non P5 opponents.

    One thing I've wondered is if some charter flights would entice some great players to sign with us.

    It's going to take $$$ unless Maggard is owed some past favors.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    If you were in lot C last year, you'd better pay attention. Your RCAF requirement is now one grand.

    The tickets I got are a hundred dollars more for a pair. The RCAF for parking five hundred more minimum. That's a potential 700.00 more for lots of people.
    Good catch, Express. I didn't see that.

    That's pretty steep for nothing additional in return.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    If you were in lot C last year, you'd better pay attention. Your RCAF requirement is now one grand.

    The tickets I got are a hundred dollars more for a pair. The RCAF for parking five hundred more minimum. That's a potential 700.00 more for lots of people.
    Yeah I'm very disapointed that the spot is now 2 D lot passes. I have one damn ticket, why do I need 2 passes. I hate the D lot, it takes forever to get out.

    I would understand the move if the C lot was full last year, but for the most part it was nowhere near full

  14. #34
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,675

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#winnin View Post
    Yeah I'm very disapointed that the spot is now 2 D lot passes. I have one damn ticket, why do I need 2 passes. I hate the D lot, it takes forever to get out.

    I would understand the move if the C lot was full last year, but for the most part it was nowhere near full
    When it was full is was due to double headers where folks who arrived for the women's game parked there without a pass as no one was checking at that time.

  15. #35
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    When it was full is was due to double headers where folks who arrived for the women's game parked there without a pass as no one was checking at that time.
    Agree. When I arrived for the women's games I was never checked. C was pretty full every time we exited.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,073

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Its not BS. You will not build a true program if you are only concerned about getting into the tournament every 4 years or so. We've performed to this model for years and it has done nothing to enhance our program beyond what it was before. Especially when the at focus usually leads you to a 13-14 or even 16 seed for which you are playing a team you are not likely to beat.

    What many people want is a schedule and more importantly a focus on beginning that winning tradition through successful regular seasons that translate into conference championships and NCAA Tournament appearances. I can still look at a season as being "successful" if we won a conference title but were somehow left out of the Big Dance. i could look back on that season and say we did something and accomplished something.

    Also, to your point I think you make it sound a lot easier than it truly is. I don't think there is anything that the NCAA can or will do to make the P5 teams play OOC road games, certainly nothing that will make them start traveling to play the likes of UL.
    Not saying the sentiment is bs just the knowledge that EVERY thread about basketball contains that post.
    I dont think anyone likes the home schedule and Mike has advanced reasons for that.
    Some of the talks about making road wins count more, due to the fact that road games are statistically harder to win, is a good start. Duke will not leave the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor unless forced to because the road wins will count for more.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,239

    Default Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Not saying the sentiment is bs just the knowledge that EVERY thread about basketball contains that post.
    I dont think anyone likes the home schedule and Mike has advanced reasons for that.
    Some of the talks about making road wins count more, due to the fact that road games are statistically harder to win, is a good start. Duke will not leave the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor unless forced to because the road wins will count for more.
    Do not get me started on Duke. Personally, I think it is to their detriment that they are rarely willing to travel for a true road OOC game, especially against a good opponent. Even their road games in the ACC-B10 challenge are often on neutral sites. Honestly, with a jackass like Coach K, I don't think they will or would ever change but there is just no reason that teams on the mid level should not be reciprocating home and home series with others. To me, there is just no reason why we can't get decent mid level teams in the cajundome .

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Do not get me started on Duke. Personally, I think it is to their detriment that they are rarely willing to travel for a true road OOC game, especially against a good opponent. Even their road games in the ACC-B10 challenge are often on neutral sites. Honestly, with a jackass like Coach K, I don't think they will or would ever change but there is just no reason that teams on the mid level should not be reciprocating home and home series with others. To me, there is just no reason why we can't get decent mid level teams in the cajundome .
    Because they don't consider us a decent mid level team, we are perceived as lower than that. We are a program that they get 2 for 1 for, that's the respect this program is getting after 8 years.

  19. #39
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12,923

    UL Basketball Re: NCAA Tournament Committee Changes Bracket Process

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Not saying the sentiment is bs just the knowledge that EVERY thread about basketball contains that post.
    I dont think anyone likes the home schedule and Mike has advanced reasons for that.
    Some of the talks about making road wins count more, due to the fact that road games are statistically harder to win, is a good start. Duke will not leave the friendly confines of Cameron Indoor unless forced to because the road wins will count for more.
    There's a reason I post that comment. It's to remind everyone including new members that is Coach Marlin's mindset that is parroted by Jay Walker at least thirty times during the season. The basic thought being why spend the money, we'll only get there as tournament champions. That message cheapens the regular season both conference and out of conference.

    Of course we'd love to actually have a fair chance at an at large, but we cannot complain about that with the scheduling philosophy we have.

    To return to logic it's more than just three days in March. It's pride, it's seeding, it's giving yourself a better chance to earn an additional NCAA money stake with a second team or an additional game at the dance.

    We're being asked to pay substantially more, isn't it fair to ask where's the beef?

  20. #40
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    There's a reason I post that comment. It's to remind everyone including new members that is Coach Marlin's mindset that is parroted by Jay Walker at least thirty times during the season. The basic thought being why spend the money, we'll only get there as tournament champions. That message cheapens the regular season both conference and out of conference.

    Of course we'd love to actually have a fair chance at an at large, but we cannot complain about that with the scheduling philosophy we have.

    To return to logic it's more than just three days in March. It's pride, it's seeding, it's giving yourself a better chance to earn an additional NCAA money stake with a second team or an additional game at the dance.

    We're being asked to pay substantially more, isn't it fair to ask where's the beef?
    Good points raised by Express. If you pay more you should get more for your investment. I will remind folks RPI will be protected this year by the road and neutral court schedule. Where I hope to see more is in the actual results. Meeting expectations would be a pleasant experience. Hopefully the August Cuba trip gives them a head start on incorporating the three transfers into productive roles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •