Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

  1. UL Baseball How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Coach Tony Robichaux takes responsibility after UL misses NCAA Tournament for first time in five years.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,970

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    So for those that criticize Robe for not taking blame, here it is.

    I'm still trying to make my way to the acceptance stage of grieving.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,372

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    "At the time of the scheduling, according to Robichaux, UL thought work on the stadium would be complete by 2017 and it wanted another home series to please fans, including those paying to watch from its newly constructed suites."

    I knew we could fine a way to blame Farmer for this


  4. #4
    wcd35's Avatar
    wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,014

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    This is the quote that basically sums up the whole argument over the last week or so about if we were good enough or if that specifically cost us:

    "I think that (the St. Peter's series) is glaring because we didn't get our job done, and now we want to circle back and hang that on a weekend series. I don't think you can do that. You've got to hang it on your body of work. Our body of work just wasn't good enough."


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,545
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    This is the quote that basically sums up the whole argument over the last week or so about if we were good enough or if that specifically cost us:

    "I think that (the St. Peter's series) is glaring because we didn't get our job done, and now we want to circle back and hang that on a weekend series. I don't think you can do that. You've got to hang it on your body of work. Our body of work just wasn't good enough."
    There were those who AT THE TIME were hoping UL didn't get "hanged" by that weekend.

    I wasn't smart enough AT THE TIME, to be one of the worriers.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    There were those who AT THE TIME were hoping UL didn't get "hanged" by that weekend.

    I wasn't smart enough AT THE TIME, to be one of the worriers.
    Unless the "at the time" you are talking about is before Bab made the phone call it's irrelevant.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,545
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Unless the "at the time" you are talking about is before Bab made the phone call it's irrelevant.
    The only thing it is not, is irrelevant.

    He will be making many calls in the future.

    This is all about the future, we can't do anything about the past except study it and learn from it.

    jmo

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The only thing it is not, is irrelevant.

    He will be making many calls in the future.

    This is all about the future, we can't do anything about the past except study it and learn from it.

    jmo
    Any worrying about St. Peter's after they signed the contract was irrelevant...being worried never changes anything, especially if the people worried are the ones watching. We will always have teams on our schedule that could contribute to keeping us out of the post season in regards to RPI...always...maybe not as drastic as St. Peter's but will always have them. Postseason is like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't...you either in or you are out...by how much doesn't matter. If that series was with NWST instead and we were the first team left out...well we would he exactly where we are now. Odds are in our favor that we won't ever schedule a winless team again...we got that one out of the way. Coaches, players and fans should be more concerned about what's going to happen between the foul lines in the future than on the other end of that phone.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,545
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Any worrying about St. Peter's after they signed the contract was irrelevant...being worried never changes anything, especially if the people worried are the ones watching. We will always have teams on our schedule that could contribute to keeping us out of the post season in regards to RPI...always...maybe not as drastic as St. Peter's but will always have them. Postseason is like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't...you either in or you are out...by how much doesn't matter. If that series was with NWST instead and we were the first team left out...well we would he exactly where we are now. Odds are in our favor that we won't ever schedule a winless team again...we got that one out of the way. Coaches, players and fans should be more concerned about what's going to happen between the foul lines in the future than on the other end of that phone.
    When 'how could they' confusion was expressed over the slip up of scheduling Saint Peters, NO ONE thought they would go winless. I will give you that.

    But they knew it was a huge mistake before the season started.

    Schedulers need to be overly cautious going forward, especially with the Sun Belt offering few favors.

    jmo

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    When 'how could they' confusion was expressed over the slip up of scheduling Saint Peters, NO ONE thought they would go winless. I will give you that.

    But they knew it was a huge mistake before the season started.

    Schedulers need to be overly cautious going forward, especially with the Sun Belt offering few favors.

    jmo
    We played eastern Illinois and ULM twice in one season and managed to host a super and #1 in the country, we hosted playing sacred heart...not got in...hosted. Bab isn't an idiot, he is the same guy that put together schedules that had us in regionals the last 5 years and hosted twice...all of those schedules had Series with bad teams on them...none of them went winless but there were some really bad RPI teams...we even had to play ULM 6 times in a season a few of those years. We didn't get it done...our play kept us out, nothing else.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,670

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    We played eastern Illinois and ULM twice in one season and managed to host a super and #1 in the country, we hosted playing sacred heart...not got in...hosted. Bab isn't an idiot, he is the same guy that put together schedules that had us in regionals the last 5 years and hosted twice...all of those schedules had Series with bad teams on them...none of them went winless but there were some really bad RPI teams...we even had to play ULM 6 times in a season a few of those years. We didn't get it done...our play kept us out, nothing else.
    Back in 2014, Eastern Illinois and ULM were both teams that finished the season with over 20 wins. Historically (previous 5 seasons), you could count on Eastern Illinois having over 20 wins in a season, so scheduling them wasn't going to significantly hurt the RPI. When looking at St. Peter's history (previous 5 seasons), you could reasonably assume that they'd win around 10-12 games (2012 was their highest win total in the last 5 years and it was 20 wins). You can't throw ULM into your argument because we have no control of them being on the schedule. You can control a team like St. Peter's though.

    For each of the last 4 seasons (regional teams), the worst OOC team on the schedule for RPI purposes was
    2013- Central Michigan (finished 23-32). Sacred Heart that season was a great opponent for our RPI. Weak northern team that we swept but they do well in conference; finished their season 34-24.
    2014- Texas Southern (17-26); Eastern Illinois (21-33)
    2015- Jackson State (23-25)
    2016- Sacred Heart (30-28); swept them again

    Playing Sacred Heart is exactly what we need to do. We swept them each year and they helped our SOS each season. We knew they'd end up with a record around .500 because that's historically what they do once conference play starts. St. Peter's, on the other hand, is not on the same field as Sacred Heart, Jackson State, Eastern Illinois, etc. Their history shows that they would not have been a good RPI team this year or for any other year.

    What got us a national seed in 2014 was 53 wins after winning the conference tournament. The SOS that season was ranked 141 at selection time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,545
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    We played eastern Illinois and ULM twice in one season and managed to host a super and #1 in the country, we hosted playing sacred heart...not got in...hosted. Bab isn't an idiot, he is the same guy that put together schedules that had us in regionals the last 5 years and hosted twice...all of those schedules had Series with bad teams on them...none of them went winless but there were some really bad RPI teams...we even had to play ULM 6 times in a season a few of those years. We didn't get it done...our play kept us out, nothing else.
    UL plays ULM 6 times all the time. That can't be controlled, control what you can.

    If Lotief can schedule the #1 OOC RPI schedule in the country, nothing is preventing baseball from doing a little better.

  13. #13
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,577

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    UL plays ULM 6 times all the time. That can't be controlled, control what you can.

    If Lotief can schedule the #1 OOC RPI schedule in the country, nothing is preventing baseball from doing a little better.
    Except for that whole "they have to agree to play you as well" thing. I remember many years of never getting top 50 teams to come to Lafayette in softball when baseball would regularly host good teams. Softball got all their SOS from playing on the road. That said I agree in this year that one weekend series costs us a top 40 overall RPI and a top 5 OOC RPI.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    UL plays ULM 6 times all the time. That can't be controlled, control what you can.

    If Lotief can schedule the #1 OOC RPI schedule in the country, nothing is preventing baseball from doing a little better.
    Actually that's exactly my point...control what you can...we didn't. Playing st Peter's was not an automatic post season ban even with them going winless. We were right where we needed to be and we went get swept then lost a home series. If we win a couple more games and got in the tourny then nothing would be different about St. Peter's...changing L's to W's would be the difference...something to consider when trying to EARN an at large bid.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    Back in 2014, Eastern Illinois and ULM were both teams that finished the season with over 20 wins. Historically (previous 5 seasons), you could count on Eastern Illinois having over 20 wins in a season, so scheduling them wasn't going to significantly hurt the RPI. When looking at St. Peter's history (previous 5 seasons), you could reasonably assume that they'd win around 10-12 games (2012 was their highest win total in the last 5 years and it was 20 wins). You can't throw ULM into your argument because we have no control of them being on the schedule. You can control a team like St. Peter's though.

    For each of the last 4 seasons (regional teams), the worst OOC team on the schedule for RPI purposes was
    2013- Central Michigan (finished 23-32). Sacred Heart that season was a great opponent for our RPI. Weak northern team that we swept but they do well in conference; finished their season 34-24.
    2014- Texas Southern (17-26); Eastern Illinois (21-33)
    2015- Jackson State (23-25)
    2016- Sacred Heart (30-28); swept them again

    Playing Sacred Heart is exactly what we need to do. We swept them each year and they helped our SOS each season. We knew they'd end up with a record around .500 because that's historically what they do once conference play starts. St. Peter's, on the other hand, is not on the same field as Sacred Heart, Jackson State, Eastern Illinois, etc. Their history shows that they would not have been a good RPI team this year or for any other year.

    What got us a national seed in 2014 was 53 wins after winning the conference tournament. The SOS that season was ranked 141 at selection time.
    Was sacred heart available? Are people literally just going to ignore that St. Peter's was the only D1 option at the time we scheduled them? It was a bad decision but lets not pretend our coaches picked them over everyone else. I'm sure next time they will choose to give our players a weekend off instead of playing St. Peter's.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,670

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Was sacred heart available? Are people literally just going to ignore that St. Peter's was the only D1 option at the time we scheduled them? It was a bad decision but lets not pretend our coaches picked them over everyone else. I'm sure next time they will choose to give our players a weekend off instead of playing St. Peter's.
    No one is disputing that St. Peter's was the only D1 option available. What you can't seem to grasp is that they weren't the only option available. As GoneGolfin has pointed out, playing a non-D1 program would have been better than playing St. Peter's, even if they had averaged their 10-12 win average of the past 5 seasons.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    4,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    Back in 2014, Eastern Illinois and ULM were both teams that finished the season with over 20 wins. Historically (previous 5 seasons), you could count on Eastern Illinois having over 20 wins in a season, so scheduling them wasn't going to significantly hurt the RPI. When looking at St. Peter's history (previous 5 seasons), you could reasonably assume that they'd win around 10-12 games (2012 was their highest win total in the last 5 years and it was 20 wins). You can't throw ULM into your argument because we have no control of them being on the schedule. You can control a team like St. Peter's though.

    For each of the last 4 seasons (regional teams), the worst OOC team on the schedule for RPI purposes was
    2013- Central Michigan (finished 23-32). Sacred Heart that season was a great opponent for our RPI. Weak northern team that we swept but they do well in conference; finished their season 34-24.
    2014- Texas Southern (17-26); Eastern Illinois (21-33)
    2015- Jackson State (23-25)
    2016- Sacred Heart (30-28); swept them again

    Playing Sacred Heart is exactly what we need to do. We swept them each year and they helped our SOS each season. We knew they'd end up with a record around .500 because that's historically what they do once conference play starts. St. Peter's, on the other hand, is not on the same field as Sacred Heart, Jackson State, Eastern Illinois, etc. Their history shows that they would not have been a good RPI team this year or for any other year.

    What got us a national seed in 2014 was 53 wins after winning the conference tournament. The SOS that season was ranked 141 at selection time.
    Schedule stronger northern programs in the first month. Teams like Central Connecticut, UCONN, Fairfield, Binghamton, Rhode Island, St. Johns, Xavier. They come down get spanked, go home get top 150 rpis and everybody wins.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    4,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    No one is disputing that St. Peter's was the only D1 option available. What you can't seem to grasp is that they weren't the only option available. As GoneGolfin has pointed out, playing a non-D1 program would have been better than playing St. Peter's, even if they had averaged their 10-12 win average of the past 5 seasons.
    Critics of playing D2 or D3 ask, how can we get a bid with 32 wins? Well, 35 wins and a molested rpi didn't work out.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    No one is disputing that St. Peter's was the only D1 option available. What you can't seem to grasp is that they weren't the only option available. As GoneGolfin has pointed out, playing a non-D1 program would have been better than playing St. Peter's, even if they had averaged their 10-12 win average of the past 5 seasons.
    And on any given year you are left out, Especially around the bubble you can go back in hind sight and pick better teams to schedule that would have got you in. Or you can go back through the 22 non wins and concentrate on all the boneheaded sht you did in those games that kept you out...things the players actually had control of. Never once said scheduling them wasn't dumb of the coaches and should and will learn from it...just don't agree with blaming them as why we got "left out" I don't see us as an at large regional team who got left out by a horribly scheduled series...we were an average baseball team who didn't earn an invite.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,670

    Default Re: How Saint Peter's series, RPI and losses cost the Cajuns

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Critics of playing D2 or D3 ask, how can we get a bid with 32 wins? Well, 35 wins and a molested rpi didn't work out.
    32 wins and a top 40 RPI ranking would have been better than 35 wins and a ranking around 58 at selection time. Also record versus top 50 was definitely in our favor compared to teams already in the 30-40 RPI ranking range. Looking at last four teams in, we'd have been right on the bubble with Auburn, Michigan, UCLA, and Texas A&M.

    We'll never know because of the peacock that was St. Peter's in 2017.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •