Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Confernece Baseball Tournament

wcd35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Sun Belt Confernece Baseball Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Can someone that is in Statesboro explain the weather situation? Looking at the radar I'm seeing a huge gap in the weather that seems to be missing the area. Is the field in bad shape or did they jump the gun?
    Radar looks like maybe they could have gotten the 2 preliminaries in today, but not seeing the field conditions, it's hard to say

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The second field had no tarp. The field is a little small as well with it only being about 380 to center and only an 8' fence. No grounds crew for the second field as well. Too much to try and take care of 2 fields. This sucks, no other way to put it.

If it was me I would have canceled the preliminary games and let the higher seed play.

UL Baseball Re: Sun Belt Confernece Baseball Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
    I was just about to say that. It'll be Gunner, Schmidt, and Harris....hopefully that is. Brian, how does this change things in regard to RPI and at large bids?
    Assuming an average # of stolen bids (two ... at most three) ... I like the chances of an at-large bid if the Cajuns make it to the finals and lose. At present this would be an RPI ranking of 46.

If the Cajuns win vs. Georgia Southern and lose vs. Coastal Carolina, I still think there is a reasonable chance provided South Alabama does not win the auto bid. In this scenario I see the Cajuns behind Coastal Carolina in the pecking order for an at-large. At present this would be an RPI ranking of #49.

Of course, it is not just the Cajuns' play above that will determine their at-large bid fate.

Brian

I like our chances with this pitching staff now on single elimination. Its pretty much like a weekend series. Just need to sweep. It is very doable.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    I like our chances with this pitching staff now on single elimination. Its pretty much like a weekend series. Just need to sweep. It is very doable.
    Of course it is but also makes it very doable for a lot of teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Of course it is but also makes it very doable for a lot of teams.
    True! Bring the water hose men!!!!

So - would it be fair to say you see only 2 bids for the Sun Belt and minimal to no chance for 3? Pecking order would be Coastal, Cajuns, Jags.

Do you see 2 at-large bids if somebody like UTA wins it? (Coastal and Cajuns - so 3 teams in that scenario) - of course depending on stolen bids.

So, basically, we need to either win this tournament or have Coastal win it (and probably have South Alabama lose one of their first two - to not make it to Sunday) - which means the Cajuns only get a win over GA Southern and lose to Coastal.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    ...as long as they also bring their bats.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    So - would it be fair to say you see only 2 bids for the Sun Belt and minimal to no chance for 3? Pecking order would be Coastal, Cajuns, Jags.
    Two bids is the most likely situation. Three is not impossible (assuming that two of CC, USA, UL are in the finals) if stolen bids are low (or zero). But not likely. One bid is certainly still possible. If Coastal wins the tournament and the Cajuns and South Alabama lose their first or second game, it could be a one bid situation.

Do you see 2 at-large bids if somebody like UTA wins it? (Coastal and Cajuns - so 3 teams in that scenario) - of course depending on stolen bids.
    No ... I see an even more remote chance of three bids in this situation as this would be a stolen bid.

So, basically, we need to either win this tournament or have Coastal win it (and probably have South Alabama lose one of their first two - to not make it to Sunday) - which means the Cajuns only get a win over GA Southern and lose to Coastal.
    That is my take. If we do not win it, we want Coastal Carolina to win it (and South Alabama to not make the finals). Even if the Cajuns eliminate Coastal Carolina, I am having a hard time believing the selection committee will slot us ahead of the conference champions in the race for an at-large bid ... regardless of record vs. RPI Top 50. Not saying it could not happen, but I think Coastal would be the choice. What would be interesting ... and test this hypothesis ... is if Coastal Carolina is upset in the opener.

We also want LSU to defeat Missouri today.

Brian

Another big game tonight for the Cajuns ... Texas vs. Oklahoma. We want Texas to remain in the RPI Top 25 ... in addition to helping our own RPI.

Meanwhile, UTSA jumping on USM is not good (8-2 T5th) ... but Texas winning is more important. USM will not be a national seed, but should be a #1 seed and host. We want that series win to look as shiny as possible.

Brian

Current RPI: .55018 (#51 ranking)

All other things being equal ...
    Sun Belt Tournament scenarios (at present) ...

Loss vs. Georgia Southern -> .54811 (#54 ranking at present)

Win vs. Georgia Southern -> .55277 (#47 ranking at present)
    Loss vs. Coastal Carolina -> .55120 (#49 ranking at present)

Win vs. Coastal Carolina -> .55577 (#41 ranking at present)
    Loss vs. South Alabama -> .55413 (#45 ranking at present)

Win vs. Coastal Carolina -> .55577 (#41 ranking at present)
    Loss vs. UTA -> .55290 (#47 ranking at present)

Brian

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

If they can play 4 games on Friday, why can't they play four on Thursday and keep the double elimination in place? I think if they would have started Thursday at 10 AM the last game could have started around 7:30 or 8:00 PM.....The weather will be sunny for the rest of the week. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Two bids is the most likely situation. Three is not impossible (assuming that two of CC, USA, UL are in the finals) if stolen bids are low (or zero). But not likely. One bid is certainly still possible. If Coastal wins the tournament and the Cajuns and South Alabama lose their first or second game, it could be a one bid situation.

No ... I see an even more remote chance of three bids in this situation as this would be a stolen bid.

That is my take. If we do not win it, we want Coastal Carolina to win it (and South Alabama to not make the finals). Even if the Cajuns eliminate Coastal Carolina, I am having a hard time believing the selection committee will slot us ahead of the conference champions in the race for an at-large bid ... regardless of record vs. RPI Top 50. Not saying it could not happen, but I think Coastal would be the choice. What would be interesting ... and test this hypothesis ... is if Coastal Carolina is upset in the opener.

Brian
    LSU 6
    Miss 1
    after 7

Brian
    Final
    LSU 10
    Miss 3

They need to have an alternate venue and use it if weather prevents the double elimination format. I'm guessing the problem is refunding tickets and that the host put some $ up to have the tournament. Well, stuff happens. Preserve the integrity of the postseason unless you're satisfied being a cheap conference.

Hope the rain doesn't mess with Gunner's prep or start...

I'd like Biloxi to host basketball and baseball... Good destination. New minor league park is directly across from the Beau Rivage. C-USA is there this year. I don't know if this is just for the year or if they plan on staying there for a while...
    Why are you folks so fixated on CUSA?

Another big game tonight for the Cajuns ... Texas vs. Oklahoma. We want Texas to remain in the RPI Top 25 ... in addition to helping our own RPI.

Meanwhile, UTSA jumping on USM is not good (8-2 T5th) ... but Texas winning is more important. USM will not be a national seed, but should be a #1 seed and host. We want that series win to look as shiny as possible.

Brian
    Tx 3 (6 seed)
    Okla 0 (3 seed)
    After 2

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Why are you folks so fixated on CUSA?
    Get lost

raginsaints is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Texas up 5-1 in the 5th

raginsaints is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

OU storming back 5-3 with 2 runners still on base

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast