Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Thread: NCAA Softball Regional - Cajuns vs Tigers

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: NCAA Softball Regional - Cajuns vs Tigers

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    The Magnus Effect
    That isn't gravity at work. That is spin physics at work. Gravity is only the force operating on the downward pull... but you knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    That isn't gravity at work. That is spin physics at work. Gravity is only the force operating on the downward pull... but you knew that.
    Yep. Its the explanation he was looking for. Along with a little Bernoulli.
    And I like that you went with Newton there instead of Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    If you look at the pictures posted by Travis you will note the number 152. Look closely and you can see a yellow spot clearly behind the foul pole screen. Height wise it is even with the number 2 on the video. The other picture shows it on the outside of the foul pole and BELOW the number 2 on the video. Gravity doesn't lie. Ball moved right to left (as you would expect) and hooked behind the foul pole. Unless you think the ball was still on an upward trajectory at that point.
    you realize that it is a camera he had on his shoulder filming that. the camera is moving so the 152 isnt in a fixed position.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    These are from Travis Webb with KATC. He was behind the UL dugout. It was pretty clear on replay as his camera was much more zoomed in than ESPN's from the grandstand area
    Still, a right hand batter is going to hook a ball down the line and if the ball goes behind the foul pole (covered by the pole) then it was a fair ball when it went over the fence. If it was foul, it would pass in front of the poll. A right hand batter can't slice a ball down the left field line and make the ball curve the other way. Has to do with the spin put on the ball by the angle of the bat when the ball is hit.

Doc

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post
    Still, a right hand batter is going to hook a ball down the line and if the ball goes behind the foul pole (covered by the pole) then it was a fair ball when it went over the fence. If it was foul, it would pass in front of the poll. A right hand batter can't slice a ball down the left field line and make the ball curve the other way. Has to do with the spin put on the ball by the angle of the bat when the ball is hit.

Doc

Doc
    if she is so far out in front, yet her hands stay in front of the barrel, you better believe that ball will slice.

I wish they had showed the batter runner more, seemed close to trail runner and coach seemed in an odd position and may have contacted batterrunner, not enough evidence but aiding is an often overlooked call

Quote Originally Posted by McNeese72 View Post

Doc

Doc
    Ever heard of wind?

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    These are from Travis Webb with KATC. He was behind the UL dugout. It was pretty clear on replay as his camera was much more zoomed in than ESPN's from the grandstand area
    Agree. The KATC review begins with a shot of Alex as she begins the pitch. You can draw a line from the camera through the pitcher's circle to third base (visible in the shot) which tells me the camera angle is from the UL dugout side. The camera shot then pans to the left from Alex to the batter and then follows the ball flight from left to right until the ball lands. Ball is clearly visible. Camera then pans back to the runner as she rounds third and the view is still from the UL dugout side of the field as her left side is toward the camera. ESPN camera replays may have been from behind home plate but those from KATC are not. I wish I knew how to post the replay from my DVR to RP but I don't. Not even sure that's possible. If this was a trial and I was on the jury we would have a hung jury.

Stay dry folks. Have a good week.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    you realize that it is a camera he had on his shoulder filming that. the camera is moving so the 152 isnt in a fixed position.
    Actually had looked at it again this morning and realized that. Just getting time to post again. If you reference the background in the photos then it indeed looks like the ball went left to right (sliced) and thus would have been foul.

Given the high angle and odd left to right movement on the decent I can certainly understand the confusion on making the call.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    I recorded the KATC news broadcast this evening. Included was a replay of the "home run". That replay was much clearer than any others I've seen today. IMO, slow motion replay shows it was a foul ball. No longer any doubt in my mind, not that it matters.

Congratulations to our team on a great season.
    I'm taking your view of this. It's unfortunate that the ball was foul and called fair... but even though I think it took the air out of the Cajuns... I think LSU had our number in this regional.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'm taking your view of this. It's unfortunate that the ball was foul and called fair... but even though I think it took the air out of the Cajuns... I think LSU had our number in this regional.
    I hate to agree but I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    if she is so far out in front, yet her hands stay in front of the barrel, you better believe that ball will slice.
    It would be very hard to do that and get any kind of power on a ball hit down the left field line.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    Ever heard of wind?
    And which way was the wind blowing at that time. It would have to be a very hard wind from the north.

Did anyone see the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll?

We got owned at the plate, they earned the win.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by weareLOUISIANA View Post
    Did anyone see the 2nd shooter on the grassy knoll?

We got owned at the plate, they earned the win.
    No doubt they were the better team when we played. Does not mean season was not successful As a young team reached a regional final. Their bats just went cold at a bad time.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Have to say after losing Elkins, Landry, Vincent, and Corbello from last year I expected to make the regional's but I thought we might not win the conference. Instead, we won it going away. The girls started out a little slow but played very well for the rest of the year. If anything could change, I wish we could have played more teams with top 20 pitchers to better prepare for post season.

On to next year. The thought is we'll have Florida coming in for a three game series so it doesn't get any easier.

We'll have Creighton and Sanders back for another year, but will have to replace our right side (Voinche, Zeringue, and Hayden) so they'll have some big holes to fill. We'll lose our steadiest pitcher and will have to depend on some new faces to replace her with little or no D1 experience. I would expect Summer Ellyson and Kirsten Pruett would be the most probable. Like always, you never know who will put in the work during the off season and improve.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Have to say after losing Elkins, Landry, Vincent, and Corbello from last year I expected to make the regional's but I thought we might not win the conference. Instead, we won it going away. The girls started out a little slow but played very well for the rest of the year. If anything could change, I wish we could have played more teams with top 20 pitchers to better prepare for post season.

On to next year. The thought is we'll have Florida coming in for a three game series so it doesn't get any easier.

We'll have Creighton and Sanders back for another year, but will have to replace our right side (Voinche, Zeringue, and Hayden) so they'll have some big holes to fill. We'll lose our steadiest pitcher and will have to depend on some new faces to replace her with little or no D1 experience. I would expect Summer Ellyson and Kirsten Pruett would be the most probable. Like always, you never know who will put in the work during the off season and improve.
    ....any fresh ladies
    Or transfers who could start???

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13