Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Another Merger Article

Default Re: Another Merger Article

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Another factor here may be the future of ESPN. They are owned by Disney and the parent company is demanding lots of cost cutting as that arm has been doing poorly financially. Add that to a recent report that Apple is considering buying Disney in what would be one of the largest financial deals in history. Who knows what happens to ESPN then. I do believe one outcome will be a decline in the no. of bowl games which exist only due to ESPN. Also, if rights fees continue to go down, the call for more geographically centered conferences will increase. Travel costs cannot continue as is for many schools.
    Can you imagine if TV revenue is reduced for all conferences (including the P5's) the next time contracts come up? Just think, some schools might loose 5-10 million in TV revenue. They would then have to get by on a messily 60-70 million each year. What a tragedy that would be!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Can you imagine if TV revenue is reduced for all conferences (including the P5's) the next time contracts come up? Just think, some schools might loose 5-10 million in TV revenue. They would then have to get by on a messily 60-70 million each year. What a tragedy that would be!
    They will only be able to buy recruits Honda accords instead of Mercedes-Benz

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Declining TV revenue.

The main reason the AAC added Wichita.

Tourney Units = Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Declining TV revenue.

The main reason the AAC added Wichita.

Tourney Units = Gold
    It will be interesting if Wichita has the same season as last in the AAC what their seeding will be.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    It will be interesting if Wichita has the same season as last in the AAC what their seeding will be.
    I think they will be the best team in the AAC. Missouri Valley focuses on basketball more than any other sport so the competition in their new league will be no stronger than what they left. CajunNation makes a good point as to why they were embraced by the AAC. More tourney wins brings more money to all the member schools. Football is the driver in decisions but it is not the only factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Silence? I answered dug's question with a rhetorical question. Savoy has made major moves to set us on the correct course. I just found out we will be retaining Alden and his team for an additional year after this first leg is up. Point is, Savoy, apparently, has figured out what he doesn't know about athletics, and is allowing the right people to assist him.

So no, I'm not doubting his wherewithal in this regard.
    Not directed at you, just a statement about our admin. Silence in the respect nothing about any proposed moves, realignment etc, yet we know, if anything, they're on top of it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I think they will be the best team in the AAC. Missouri Valley focuses on basketball more than any other sport so the competition in their new league will be no stronger than what they left. CajunNation makes a good point as to why they were embraced by the AAC. More tourney wins brings more money to all the member schools. Football is the driver in decisions but it is not the only factor.
    Since we're talking basketball, appears CUSA men's basketball is in overall decline. Rice and LTU were best on west side of that conference this year. UTEP and UAB which have long time winning tradition were only close to break even this year. USM was in the tank. Not saying one or two seasons make a trend, but a potential realignment might still leave the Cajuns in a one bid conference. Besides RPI of top teams, what does it takes to become a consistent two bid conference? Reputation? Past NCAA tournament wins?

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Another Merger Article

Good OOC scheduling by all the teams in the conference. The RPI of top teams is important, but having all of your teams have solid RPI is also huge. The SBC had the 13th best RPI among conferences, with only 1 team in the top 100. If the teams in the SBC that were 110-170 in RPI had been 70-130, and the bottom feeders been 200 or better, we likely would have been in the top 10 and UTA would have had a reasonable chance at an at large.

That is a reachable goal.

About a year ago, Terry Mohajir switched from "who needs CUSA" to it's time realign things to make more sense.

I think there is certainly talk happening but probably more like, Is this something we really want to pursue, what would it look like, how do we make it happen, how do we address the opposition, how do we do it within the framework of what the NCAA rules and CFP agreement provide?

This isn't an easy task to get it into something that achieves most of the goals and can obtain 11 CUSA votes and 9 Sun Belt votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkstfan View Post
    About a year ago, Terry Mohajir switched from "who needs CUSA" to it's time realign things to make more sense.

I think there is certainly talk happening but probably more like, Is this something we really want to pursue, what would it look like, how do we make it happen, how do we address the opposition, how do we do it within the framework of what the NCAA rules and CFP agreement provide?

This isn't an easy task to get it into something that achieves most of the goals and can obtain 11 CUSA votes and 9 Sun Belt votes.
    I imagine the pitch would have to compare the financial costs of:

1) Doing nothing.

2) Creating a new league from scratch.

3) Swapping schools between the 2 conferences.

Now, there is no comparison. It will just take time for the financial reality to sink in for a few presidents.

As for the voting, UAB might vote no. Tech will vote no if ULM is included in their new lineup. As for the SBC, UTA, LR and ULM are definite no votes as any new lineup they are in will force them out due to travel.

This still leaves enough yes votes to get the swap done. It just might take a little while for a few fanbases to accept some financial truths.

SBC adds CUSA East.

CUSA West adds SBC West minus UTA/LR/ULM and adds NMSU and South Al.

Done.

UTA, LR and ULM then leave the SBC seeking greener pastures on their own.

I can't see the NCAA not approving a restructuring of the SBC and CUSA without costing them automatic bids. It makes sense to allow schools to save money. They have been cherry picked and left at a geographical disadvantage.

Still, I can't stop laughing at the possibility of UL and ULM being in the same conference as LATech.

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    Still, I can't stop laughing at the possibility of UL and ULM being in the same conference as LATech.
    I know it has been nothing but a boat load of speculation, but even on the conference board, where UL does not have a large presence, most speculate ULM is out in the cold. Peolpe here say things about being happy with ULM leaving but the one university to benefit the most from ULM's demise would be Ruston. Therefore, ULM will NEVER get Tech's vote unless someone has naked pictures. Barnyard animals optional.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I know it has been nothing but a boat load of speculation, but even on the conference board, where UL does not have a large presence, most speculate ULM is out in the cold. Peolpe here say things about being happy with ULM leaving but the one university to benefit the most from ULM's demise would be Ruston. Therefore, ULM will NEVER get Tech's vote unless someone has naked pictures. Barnyard animals optional.
    If we can't get an organized swap done, the only way left will be the destruction of the SBC. CUSA will add enough so that the SBC will not be able to regenerate. Then, at some later point, operate as 2 separate entities. It will be complicated, destructive, and unnecessary, but this will happen if the adults don't lead this situation.

How can a conf that takes your members be deemed better? Theoretically if more are taken from sunbelt cantnargument be made sunbelt is good at developing those programs to the status at which they get taken?

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    How can a conf that takes your members be deemed better? Theoretically if more are taken from sunbelt cantnargument be made sunbelt is good at developing those programs to the status at which they get taken?
    It's not that they are better. It is what becomes the most likely to occur. If schools like Texas State, Arkansas State and Louisiana are required to vote No to any proposal that would place UTA, LR, and ULM in an impossible situation, at some point, the CUSA schools will have enough and drop the hammer.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It's not that they are better. It is what becomes the most likely to occur. If schools like Texas State, Arkansas State and Louisiana are required to vote No to any proposal that would place UTA, LR, and ULM in an impossible situation, at some point, the CUSA schools will have enough and drop the hammer.
    I'm not so sure CUSA has that clout. They already have fourteen sucking on that last place teat football payout. Fourteen on the NCAA basketball.

I think this will require an agreement by all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm not so sure CUSA has that clout. They already have fourteen sucking on that last place teat football payout. Fourteen on the NCAA basketball.

I think this will require an agreement by all involved.
    If CUSA can wipe out the SBC, that is one less mouth to feed with CFP/Tourney money. Then, CUSA can split into 2 conferences. End result is same number of FBS conferences as before.

If politics dictates that no swap will get enough votes, this will still happen the hard way with CUSA wiping out the SBC. Why? Because it has to for financial reasons. Why would the SBC schools accept invites and end their own league? Because they have to for financial reasons.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: Another Merger Article

Right now the SBC financial is in fact much better than CUSA. SBC can absorb two defections, really four because they could reverse themselves on NMSU, and Idaho. Add to the two million exit fee for a smaller payout doesn't make sense.

Sometimes your desire for a new conference overrides the more likely event. Which 2-4 schools are ready to risk affiliation into an already overcrowded CUSA? The overwhelming SBC message board aren't seeing CUSA. Granted these are posters, but most have strong ties to where their schools stando.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

-I guess nobody wanted us out of the Belt and in CUSA more than I

then when the LTUR/ Tulane stuff came down, I was Pizzed to the max

now I wonder about the Karl Benson strategy and Farmer's not being so upset with it as he told a group after the switch

I am still not happy with our current setting but I sure thought it would be worse!!!

UL Football Re: Another Merger Article

Boomer I never recalled your venting to exit the SBC. Instead all I've ever seen is patience with any UL decision.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast