Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Another Merger Article

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    CUSA with more schools splitting a similar number of dollars. SBC should be leery of any movement to bailout CUSA. Being part of CUSA or SBC sadly is heads or tails of the same penny. We need to be prepared for the major shift coming to all G5 schools. We'd better get this right.
    Can you explain your view of the major shift? Just curious because I'm not sure there is much else to this other than a regionalizing of both the SBC & CUSA.

Default Re: Another Merger Article

My Southern Miss person says that the reporter really has no real contacts inside USM and all the article was is just conjecture and opinion

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    My Southern Miss person says that the reporter really has no real contacts inside USM and all the article was is just conjecture and opinion
    He may not have contacts, but he obviously has an abundance of common sense!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    He's a smart azz that I stopped following during bowl week. His article's on this subject are mostly conjecture with quotes from other articles. The problem for most C-USA programs today are similar to SBC programs, they've lived off of student fees to fund athletics and with the present state of economics politicians will no longer support further increases. Travel costs is killing spring sports without new revenues and television money.

I don't agree with the writer's super sized G5 conference concept. The current travel he highlighted is absurd. Nine or ten members should be enough for a G5 conference.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    He's a smart azz that I stopped following during bowl week. His article's on this subject are mostly conjecture with quotes from other articles. The problem for most C-USA programs today are similar to SBC programs, they've lived off of student fees to fund athletics and with the present state of economics politicians will no longer support further increases. Travel costs is killing spring sports without new revenues and television money.
    STUDENT ... FEES ?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    STUDENT ... FEES ?
    Either by luck or planning, T-Joe looks smart not maxing out the percentage. Our state's economic meltdown isn't completed yet and with lack of leadership at the state level, that percentage will be on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Either by luck or planning, T-Joe looks smart not maxing out the percentage. Our state's economic meltdown isn't completed yet and with lack of leadership at the state level, that percentage will be on the block.
    Agreed, it appears we're about as well-positioned as possible, especially considering the recent significant upgrades in facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    While we are all interested in another "merger" coming article, what I found interesting was the highlight of some of the problems with the current setup. The travel costs involved with having the athletes in minor sports go from El Paso Texas to West Virginia or South Florida is significant. That happens throughout all of CUSA and in the Sun Belt as well. Eventually, that will put so much of a dent in the budgets of schools a change will be required. I also wonder if eventually politicians will get involved as public money is being used for this travel and student tuition in many cases. When they were getting a better TV deal, it made a little sense but makes none now. Still, it is foolish to send volleyball players that far to play one 3 set match. No way does that help them academically. For the first time in many years, finances might trump egos. Egos is why we don't have better scheduling. Following the initial movement of schools from the SBC to CUSA, there was an unofficial policy those who left should not play SBC schools as that was going "backwards". Seems only place that policy has led to us bankruptcy.
    What I have never understood Mike is that why wasn't this thought about originally? The teams didn't move; they are still the same distance and they have always had these cost issues ... so I suppose the tv money was used to cover these expenses and now that it has virtually dried up they are realizing it?

I'm not complaining because I would/will love a more geographically determined conference.

Lolly Polly will be hit hardest by this

Blog Entries

STUDENT ... FEES ?
    Athletic Fees.

Lolly Polly will be hit hardest by this
    Given TOPS is getting gutted, at some point athletics will take a hit. It's not so much the money compaired to the entire budget, but a symbolic cut.

TOPS has been flawed from the start. Originally propose for the brightest and best, but the weaker performing universities saw the writing on the wall. Lower the threshold, cokes and trophies so to speak for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    While we are all interested in another "merger" coming article, what I found interesting was the highlight of some of the problems with the current setup. The travel costs involved with having the athletes in minor sports go from El Paso Texas to West Virginia or South Florida is significant. That happens throughout all of CUSA and in the Sun Belt as well. Eventually, that will put so much of a dent in the budgets of schools a change will be required. I also wonder if eventually politicians will get involved as public money is being used for this travel and student tuition in many cases. When they were getting a better TV deal, it made a little sense but makes none now. Still, it is foolish to send volleyball players that far to play one 3 set match. No way does that help them academically. For the first time in many years, finances might trump egos. Egos is why we don't have better scheduling. Following the initial movement of schools from the SBC to CUSA, there was an unofficial policy those who left should not play SBC schools as that was going "backwards". Seems only place that policy has led to us bankruptcy.
    Somebody linked up an article to which I commented, "Whatever the conference aspirations of each school, let's all save some significant travel expenses in the short term." It might be fun to see LaTech have a hissy fit in a conference with ULM but no SBC or CUSA institution has money to waste.

Given TOPS is getting gutted, at some point athletics will take a hit. It's not so much the money compaired to the entire budget, but a symbolic cut.

TOPS has been flawed from the start. Originally propose for the brightest and best, but the weaker performing universities saw the writing on the wall. Lower the threshold, cokes and trophies so to speak for all.
    Im speaking of the extra 10% we don't take from the state for athletics

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Athletic Fees.
    It was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    I don't agree with the writer's super sized G5 conference concept. The current travel he highlighted is absurd. Nine or ten members should be enough for a G5 conference.
    Yeah, I don't get lumping all the schools together rather than geographically repopulating the SBC and CUSA. If desired, rename the conferences if no one wants to join the "Sun Belt."

Silence is both golden and deafening at the same time. Nice move.
    Silence? I answered dug's question with a rhetorical question. Savoy has made major moves to set us on the correct course. I just found out we will be retaining Alden and his team for an additional year after this first leg is up. Point is, Savoy, apparently, has figured out what he doesn't know about athletics, and is allowing the right people to assist him.

So no, I'm not doubting his wherewithal in this regard.

Actually Tops was intended for the brightest kids from economically challenged families. After the State got involved, they lowered the academic requirements and removed the economic aspect for Tops recipients. With that said, I wouldn't have received Tops if it's original purposes was followed.

As for conference realignment, they are going to be a lot changes throughout college sports. I believe the era of massive Tv contracts are coming to an end. It's started with the G5 schools and will eventually trickle to the P5 programs. This snowball effect will start with espn slashing their college sports tv contracts.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    Actually Tops was intended for the brightest kids from economically challenged families. After the State got involved, they lowered the academic requirements and removed the economic aspect for Tops recipients. With that said, I wouldn't have received Tops if it's original purposes was followed.

As for conference realignment, they are going to be a lot changes throughout college sports. I believe the era of massive Tv contracts are coming to an end. It's started with the G5 schools and will eventually trickle to the P5 programs. This snowball effect will start with espn slashing their college sports tv contracts.
    Another factor here may be the future of ESPN. They are owned by Disney and the parent company is demanding lots of cost cutting as that arm has been doing poorly financially. Add that to a recent report that Apple is considering buying Disney in what would be one of the largest financial deals in history. Who knows what happens to ESPN then. I do believe one outcome will be a decline in the no. of bowl games which exist only due to ESPN. Also, if rights fees continue to go down, the call for more geographically centered conferences will increase. Travel costs cannot continue as is for many schools.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast