_ _ _ _
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Another Merger Article

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Another Merger Article

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    La tech with that Ruston market 😍
    The SBC has been higher rated in football than CUSA two of the last 3 years. In basketball, CUSA is now a one bid league. Overall their programs are at a higher level than the SBC however. Bottom line is there is little difference between the two leagues at this stage. ULM winning in football at USM last year is the best evidence for that statement.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    The SBC has been higher rated in football than CUSA two of the last 3 years. In basketball, CUSA is now a one bid league. Overall their programs are at a higher level than the SBC however. Bottom line is there is little difference between the two leagues at this stage. ULM winning in football at USM last year is the best evidence for that statement.
    ULM defeating Southern Miss is an anomaly. One win doesn t change the direction of a program especially ULM that has defeated Arkansas in recent years. A larger body of work is needed to suggest such a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Is Troy beating LSU the best evidence that there isn't much difference between the SEC and sunbelt? I'm not suggesting there is a huge gap between cusa and sbc or one at all but it isn't based on that evidence.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Is Troy beating LSU the best evidence that there isn't much difference between the SEC and sunbelt? I'm not suggesting there is a huge gap between cusa and sbc or one at all but it isn't based on that evidence.
    ........Every lil bit helps and I guess hurts.....man we needed to beat Tulane the last 2 times.....but 2 out of 3 years ranking higher and at a higher difference helps.....Massey rules!!! Lol

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    ULM defeating Southern Miss is an anomaly. One win doesn t change the direction of a program especially ULM that has defeated Arkansas in recent years. A larger body of work is needed to suggest such a thing.
    That one game is an anomaly but the SBC receiving a higher bowl financial payout than CUSA 2 of last 3 years is indicative of a possible trend. In fact we were higher than the MAC as well in that period. Still, I would rather be in CUSA due to the ability to play Tech, USM, and Rice more frequently.

I often wonder if the additional ticket revenue of playing opponents like S. MISS, North Texas, and LA Tech would be a wash in comparison to the bowl payout. Our bowl game partners are pretty similar. I would like the SBC to have access to the Independence Bowl and the Frisco Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    I often wonder if the additional ticket revenue of playing opponents like S. MISS, North Texas, and LA Tech would be a wash in comparison to the bowl payout. Our bowl game partners are pretty similar. I would like the SBC to have access to the Independence Bowl and the Frisco Bowl.
    Yeah, I think it'd be close to a wash as far as the money goes.

The Independence Bowl people fancy themselves a bowl for P5 teams, even if they're bottom of the barrel P5 teams. They only invite G5 teams when there are absolutely no P5 teams available. We'll not likely ever play in that bowl.

The Frisco Bowl is a bowl that we do have a chance to play in. La Tech and SMU played each other in the first ever Frisco Bowl in 2017, and Ohio played SD State in it last year. This year's Frisco Bowl will feature an AAC team vs At Large. We could certainly wind up being that At Large team this year.

With the new bowl lineup beginning after the 2020 season, you're going to see some things happen differently from in the past.

It's already been figured out the SBC will trading Arizona from Myrtle Beach.

What you're going to see in the future.....ESPN owns three of our bowl games. They own several others. There will be some "trading" in the future where we might wind up in the Bahamas while someone from another league winds up in Montgomery. (That's just an example....don't concentrate on those bowls. Just a hypothetical.)

Lots of Cajun fans will attend any bowl game within a reasonable driving distance of our campus, but not many will make it to a bowl game that isn't. That's pretty true of every G5 schools' fan bases, so I agree that ESPN will try to make the matchups as regional as possible.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Lots of Cajun fans will attend any bowl game within a reasonable driving distance of our campus, but not many will make it to a bowl game that isn't. That's pretty true of every G5 schools' fan bases, so I agree that ESPN will try to make the matchups as regional as possible.
    Except for final four teams the same can be said of most P5 bowl participants. There's nothing uniquely bad going on in the G5.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Except for final four teams the same can be said of most P5 bowl participants. There's nothing uniquely bad going on in the G5.
    That's true. Almost all bowls need regional participants if they're going to any chance at decent attendance numbers.

My wife's stepbrother is a big shot in the ticket broker business. Last year he said tickets for the OU bama game were going for face value. Bama oklahoma could have played in the cotton bowl at Jerryworld but Saban chose the Orange Bowl to make it harder for sooner fans to get there. The reality is it getting even harder for some schools to travel to all the playoffs and conference championship games.

I work up in Shreveport (puke) and they were discussing how the independence bowl lost their tie in with the SEC and maybe P5. And were talking about whether Walk-Ons would maintain their sponsorship considering they would be hosting G5 teams instead.

Pac 12 will reportedly replace SEC.

SEC rarely sent a team there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    But Oiler, how many times have we heard "but we want a better bowl" and "we need to go somewhere else besides NOLA"? NOLA beats the heck out of NO bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    But Oiler, how many times have we heard "but we want a better bowl" and "we need to go somewhere else besides NOLA"? NOLA beats the heck out of NO bowl.
    i see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I do wonder if there would be an exposure benefit to play in a "better" bowl in certain select markets, but yeah, overall from a financial and perspective of putting butts in the stands, NOLA is ideal vs probably any other Non-NYE/NYD Bowl.

I think people need to wear a different hat when considering what a "better" bowl means from exposure standpoint: would you give 2 schats about University of Iowa - Des Moines or any other G5 if they played in New Orleans or Shreveport?...do you become a fan of those programs or do you just simply watch a football game on Tv for 4 hours, be impressed for a day then forget about them?...we need to attend bowls that are best for our fans and our university's wallet. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I think people need to wear a different hat when considering what a "better" bowl means from exposure standpoint: would you give 2 schats about University of Iowa - Des Moines or any other G5 if they played in New Orleans or Shreveport?...do you become a fan of those programs or do you just simply watch a football game on Tv for 4 hours, be impressed for a day then forget about them?...we need to attend bowls that are best for our fans and our university's wallet. Period.
    A bowl in that 6-hour window would be ideal for fan support and recruiting purposes as well for growing your brand in that area.

I know in my early teens I started to follow USM after the 2005 NOLA bowl at Cajun Field. Before that, all I knew about them was it was Bret Farves school

I'll be happy with any bowl game in the DFW metro area, New Orleans, Houston, Mobile, or Birmingham. Please, no more Florida bowls unless it's the Orange Bowl.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast