Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Partnerships between breweries, universities under fire in House Bill 610

Default Re: Partnerships between breweries, universities under fire in House Bill 610

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun View Post
    Can someone explain to me why BlueDog is allowed to post here? I don't see that same sort of reciprocity over at BBB.
    A question for the ages. All of these @ruston trolls contribute nothing to the conversation.

And while we don't want to be as non-inclusive as the @ruston site.........i.e., where NO OPPOSING fans/thoughts are permitted......seeing less of them would be most welcome.

Default Re: Partnerships between breweries, universities under fire in House Bill 610

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Rep. Cedric Glover blasts LSU president for criticizing bill to ban universities' 'official' beers; read full letter here
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...3b6043635.html

Read Glover's full letter below. I guess the "D" behind his name stands for douchebag.

It was certainly disappointing to see LSU President Dr. King Alexander respond in such a personal and petty way regarding House Bill 610, my bill that would prohibit colleges and universities from authorizing an "official" alcoholic beverage.

LSU and the University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette have signed such contracts and local breweries market beers as the official brews of the universities.

Alexander said in a news story about my bill in The Advocate: "It's nonsense. Glover likes to throw stones. He's never been a fan of LSU."

Like just about all Louisianans, I love LSU and all of our other colleges as well.

But HB 610 isn't just about our colleges. It's about our people and especially our children. Of all the collective negatives we possess as a state, the one we can least afford to continue mindlessly ushering forward is our inclination to overindulge in alcohol.

It affects and magnifies all of the others. From our nation-leading homicide, HIV and hypertension levels to our shameful rates for violence against women, alcohol abuse is a common denominator.

To be clear, there is just about no aspect of my life in which I am a teetotaler. HB 610 is no effort at holier than thou-ism. I just happen to believe we can do and be better than college-branded beer.

In his attempt to justify college-branded and sanctioned beer, Alexander ignores all of the college student specific data regarding underage consumption, binge drinking, alcohol fueled sexual and physical assaults, and instead argues that Budweiser and other major brands have been using purple and gold in their advertising for years without LSU ever receiving any financial benefit. If there was ever a statement from a college president that strikes a bitter and ironic chord with his students, then this should be it.

LSU and other colleges have been and continue to rake in billions of dollars from the blood, sweat, broken bones, and dreams of youngsters who are not even old enough to legally buy beer. The universities' return is much higher than the tuition, room and board invested through scholarships. Yet these same young people cannot legally earn a single red cent from the tickets, television, tailgating and all the purple and gold paraphernalia that bears their names.

If logic leads Dr. Alexander to believe that LSU is currently being exploited and taken advantage of by the beer companies, then he should be honest enough to admit that colleges are doing the same thing to the underage youngsters who give their brands such high value and exposure in the first place, and then fight to justly compensate them in the same way he wants to cash in now.

A fifteen percent share of all the revenue generated from college sports that's split amongst those who actually provide the sweat equity that makes it all possible sounds like the start of a fair deal. So if the king of LSU wants his cut of the beer money, let's make sure the kids get theirs, too.

Rep. Cedric Glover, D-Shreveport

Louisiana House of Representatives District 4
    Ah, redistribution of weath...yeah, hes a democrat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Because Turbine is a liberal. More concerned about appeasing the outside view than the inside.

Just try it sometime. Say something negative or, dare I say, type out a swear. He'll delete, edit or reassign that post. But these outside dbags that come here and trash us? Perfectly fine.
    I never said I was the fastest moderator but sometimes I do catch things early. Still, you agreed to not swear when you registered.

But you are right, clean smack talk has not been banned, and it may go unnoticed but those from the outside who cannot abide are eventually limited.

Cedric Glover is an attention-seeking slob. It's for the children! This about the children!

Reason he keeps going from one political office to another is because no decent private company would ever hire him.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Ah, redistribution of weath...yeah, hes a democrat.
    Yep.

I wonder if he got a piece of that action would he not be so upset with it.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Yep.

I wonder if he got a piece of that action would he not be so upset with it.
    .. as if

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c.../data=!3m1!4b1

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    You can bet on it!

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You can bet on it!
    I see what you did there

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    He is just all in a snitch because no one would bottle Lolly Poly Lager.
    Then he is pretty much alone. The powers that be at Tech do NOT want alcohol generally available at sporting events, which is stupid. Thus, they will certainly resist having the university associated with beer, which is more stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    He went to Grambling and LSU.....doesn't say he graduated though.
    Glover is trying to find a way to line his pockets. Probably by forcing a brewer into making an official beer for Grambling.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1984 View Post
    Then he is pretty much alone. The powers that be at Tech do NOT want alcohol generally available at sporting events, which is stupid. Thus, they will certainly resist having the university associated with beer, which is more stupid.

Glover is trying to find a way to line his pockets. Probably by forcing a brewer into making an official beer for Grambling.
    Wow, we agree... You and your school are both stupid! Now go away.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1984 View Post
    Probably by forcing a brewer into making an official beer for Grambling.
    How about a pale ale.

Ah, more free advertising. Photo included.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/20/no...versity-beers/

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Ah, more free advertising. Photo included.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/04/20/no...versity-beers/
    Bayou Teche sales have probably gone up since this whole thing

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Bayou Teche sales have probably gone up since this whole thing
    No doubt.

I bet their name recognition is through the roof.

MelRock is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Bill to ban universities' 'official' beers withdrawn after committee voices its opposition
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...d7e08bea9.html

"Recognizing that he faced overwhelming opposition for his bill to ban universities from branding beer, Rep. Cedric Glover withdrew the measure before the Louisiana House Education committee could vote Thursday.

Glover surrounded himself with signs displaying possible products, such as "Big Mike's Purple & Wild Cigars," to underscore his point that public universities don't have any restrictions on how they contract their reputation for money."

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Bill to ban universities' 'official' beers withdrawn after committee voices its opposition
    http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rou...d7e08bea9.html

"Recognizing that he faced overwhelming opposition for his bill to ban universities from branding beer, Rep. Cedric Glover withdrew the measure before the Louisiana House Education committee could vote Thursday.

Glover surrounded himself with signs displaying possible products, such as "Big Mike's Purple & Wild Cigars," to underscore his point that public universities don't have any restrictions on how they contract their reputation for money."
    How much time and money he wasted making these signs and bringing up this bill. Also, I like the two unintentional facepalms in this pic

Dude has two links of sausage on the back of his neck..

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Partnerships between breweries, universities under fire in House Bill 610

Maybe we should outlaw the lottery as well. After all you can buy a scratch off at 21. Bad messages to our young. You can't make it big on your own. If you didn't win in the silver spoon life lottery at birth you can reapply every week for a couple of dollars.

This state needs to quit being our moms and dads. Be pro business, pro education, anti corruption, anti pork barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcstewart View Post
    Dude has two links of sausage on the back of his neck..
    And it seems he used "Tounces", the tiger logo they no longer use. Seems they didn't like this smile.

Cedric Glover is a huge ___ waste of lard. With any luck, his political career will be over.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast