Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 93

Thread: Epic Rant From Robe

  1. #61
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,558

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Youth soccer has started undergoing changes in the past couple of years. The system was better than other sports but it needed work and I'm pleased with where it is headed.

    Almost every U.S. Youth soccer organization operates under the U.S. soccer umbrella. This includes everything from local rec ball to the Olympic Development Program.

    We've never really had the problem in soccer like you hear about in baseball of watches, rings, jewelry, etc. You win a tournament you get a small team trophy and often times the players get these medallion medals that you can buy in bulk for a couple of bucks each. Runner up will often times get medallions as well.

    A big change that I like is to put more stress on player development under the age of 12. The clubs moving forward should start focusing on individual player development and not on playing/winning games. After U12 kids will dropout, play local rec ball, or move on into various levels of competitive play.

    Competitive youth soccer is highly regulated. You have designated times for tryouts and players must try out. You then have dead times where players can't be contacted prior to submitting an offer to them. Competitive is now moving to two levels. The first being an age specific team that plays state league play along with some independent tournaments. The second being "Academy" teams that usually combine a couple of age levels and are the cream of the crop from within a club. They will typically get an exemption from state league play but will play in the state tournament. They will participate in a regional league that travels more extensively across multiple states.

    The Olympic development program is a national level program that kids can tryout for on the local level and if good enough progress up through regional pools/teams and national pool/team at various age groups. It's structured and typically run by college/pro coaches.


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,501

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    My experience with my nephews is that soccer is just as screwed up as baseball.

    The insane, greedy and foolish adults I mentioned above....they are in EVERY youth sport.


  3. #63
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,558

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    My experience with my nephews is that soccer is just as screwed up as baseball.

    The insane, greedy and foolish adults I mentioned above....they are in EVERY youth sport.
    I didn't say it was perfect. You seem intent on demonizing anyone who says anything good about competitive youth sports. Feel free to continue to paint with a broad brush.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Youth soccer has started undergoing changes in the past couple of years. The system was better than other sports but it needed work and I'm pleased with where it is headed.

    Almost every U.S. Youth soccer organization operates under the U.S. soccer umbrella. This includes everything from local rec ball to the Olympic Development Program.

    We've never really had the problem in soccer like you hear about in baseball of watches, rings, jewelry, etc. You win a tournament you get a small team trophy and often times the players get these medallion medals that you can buy in bulk for a couple of bucks each. Runner up will often times get medallions as well.

    A big change that I like is to put more stress on player development under the age of 12. The clubs moving forward should start focusing on individual player development and not on playing/winning games. After U12 kids will dropout, play local rec ball, or move on into various levels of competitive play.

    Competitive youth soccer is highly regulated. You have designated times for tryouts and players must try out. You then have dead times where players can't be contacted prior to submitting an offer to them. Competitive is now moving to two levels. The first being an age specific team that plays state league play along with some independent tournaments. The second being "Academy" teams that usually combine a couple of age levels and are the cream of the crop from within a club. They will typically get an exemption from state league play but will play in the state tournament. They will participate in a regional league that travels more extensively across multiple states.

    The Olympic development program is a national level program that kids can tryout for on the local level and if good enough progress up through regional pools/teams and national pool/team at various age groups. It's structured and typically run by college/pro coaches.
    All true. The biggest issue I see is cost. Right now it is extremely difficult for kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds to get the access to the programs you mentioned. By the time they are identified as "natural talents" in HS they are already years behind in training. The Southshore area in NOLA is probably the worst when it comes to this. with the exception of football and baseball, It is not uncommon to see affluent private schools with over 90% travel players completely demolish a public school with only a few travel players.
    This trend has not harmed the college game but it has definitely hindered professional development in both soccer and baseball. One needs to look no further than the near extinction of the African American MLB baseball player.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,558

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    All true. The biggest issue I see is cost. Right now it is extremely difficult for kids from lower socioeconomic backgrounds to get the access to the programs you mentioned. By the time they are identified as "natural talents" in HS they are already years behind in training. The Southshore area in NOLA is probably the worst when it comes to this. with the exception of football and baseball, It is not uncommon to see affluent private schools with over 90% travel players completely demolish a public school with only a few travel players.
    This trend has not harmed the college game but it has definitely hindered professional development in both soccer and baseball. One needs to look no further than the near extinction of the African American MLB baseball player.
    Can't disagree with that. It also is a better explanation of the private vs. public school mentality. Private schools have better players because of socio-economics not because they recruit.

    I know most soccer clubs have some economic based help available but it is often very limited.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,600

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    It's been decades since I played organized baseball. The cream will always rise to the top. Trying to create a batch of only cream will always skew the results. Going into it without delusions of grandeur is the key, and the crux for why travel ball has exploded. Chances are, your kid is not going to be the next Mike Trout (suck it Bryce Harper fans). No amount of money will make your kid great. Michael Jordan played basketball on a dirt court. Joe DiMaggio was an Italian immigrant that worked in fish yards before baseball. Johnny Unitas was raised by his mother. Jim Thorpe won Olympic gold in shoes he once found in the trash, because someone took his.

    You cannot ham fist your kids to be sports stars. They either have it...or they don't. Throwing money at it won't help.


  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    980

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    It's been decades since I played organized baseball. The cream will always rise to the top. Trying to create a batch of only cream will always skew the results. Going into it without delusions of grandeur is the key, and the crux for why travel ball has exploded. Chances are, your kid is not going to be the next Mike Trout (suck it Bryce Harper fans). No amount of money will make your kid great. Michael Jordan played basketball on a dirt court. Joe DiMaggio was an Italian immigrant that worked in fish yards before baseball. Johnny Unitas was raised by his mother. Jim Thorpe won Olympic gold in shoes he once found in the trash, because someone took his.

    You cannot ham fist your kids to be sports stars. They either have it...or they don't. Throwing money at it won't help.
    Rack him!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,000

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    It's been decades since I played organized baseball. The cream will always rise to the top. Trying to create a batch of only cream will always skew the results. Going into it without delusions of grandeur is the key, and the crux for why travel ball has exploded. Chances are, your kid is not going to be the next Mike Trout (suck it Bryce Harper fans). No amount of money will make your kid great. Michael Jordan played basketball on a dirt court. Joe DiMaggio was an Italian immigrant that worked in fish yards before baseball. Johnny Unitas was raised by his mother. Jim Thorpe won Olympic gold in shoes he once found in the trash, because someone took his.

    You cannot ham fist your kids to be sports stars. They either have it...or they don't. Throwing money at it won't help.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Breaux Bridge
    Posts
    3,836

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Yes, select ball can be done right. Those programs that do it right are in the minority for sure. They are the 20% not the 80% maybe more like 10% to 90%.


  10. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ventura, California
    Posts
    3,680

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    To Lawrence, it offers the latest chance to reflect how fortunate he was to have coached future phenoms Bryant and Harper, teammates for a season on the Southern Nevada Bulldogs. Bryant, the NL rookie of the year in 2015, was 14. Harper, nine months younger, was 13.

    "The real question is how did I ever lose a game with both those guys?" said Lawrence, 47, now a health care executive in Los Angeles. "We had 12 kids on a travel team and Bryce and Kris were the elite of that group. I'm not into rankings, but we were third nationally."

    The Bulldogs were so good, they competed in a high school fall league and finished above .500 despite not having a player older than 14. After beating one of the city's better high school teams, a game in which Bryant and Harper homered and Bryant pitched a shutout, the losers refused to shake hands. The kids asked their coach why.

    "I said, 'You are going to walk out of the park, grab some ice cream and ride home with your parents (and) that team is going to drive themselves home and have to explain to friends, family and girlfriends how they got beat by a group of middle-school kids," Lawrence said.


  11. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    5,501

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I didn't say it was perfect. You seem intent on demonizing anyone who says anything good about competitive youth sports. Feel free to continue to paint with a broad brush.
    Will do.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ventura, California
    Posts
    3,680

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    maybe not just travel ball, looks like all you will need to do in nba is make .500 and you are in playoffs


  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    maybe not just travel ball, looks like all you will need to do in nba is make .500 and you are in playoffs
    Money

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    4,860

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Youth soccer has started undergoing changes in the past couple of years. The system was better than other sports but it needed work and I'm pleased with where it is headed.

    Almost every U.S. Youth soccer organization operates under the U.S. soccer umbrella. This includes everything from local rec ball to the Olympic Development Program.

    We've never really had the problem in soccer like you hear about in baseball of watches, rings, jewelry, etc. You win a tournament you get a small team trophy and often times the players get these medallion medals that you can buy in bulk for a couple of bucks each. Runner up will often times get medallions as well.

    A big change that I like is to put more stress on player development under the age of 12. The clubs moving forward should start focusing on individual player development and not on playing/winning games. After U12 kids will dropout, play local rec ball, or move on into various levels of competitive play.

    Competitive youth soccer is highly regulated. You have designated times for tryouts and players must try out. You then have dead times where players can't be contacted prior to submitting an offer to them. Competitive is now moving to two levels. The first being an age specific team that plays state league play along with some independent tournaments. The second being "Academy" teams that usually combine a couple of age levels and are the cream of the crop from within a club. They will typically get an exemption from state league play but will play in the state tournament. They will participate in a regional league that travels more extensively across multiple states.

    The Olympic development program is a national level program that kids can tryout for on the local level and if good enough progress up through regional pools/teams and national pool/team at various age groups. It's structured and typically run by college/pro coaches.
    I agree. Baseball could learn a lot from what US Soccer is doing.

    Here's the big difference between soccer and baseball in this country. With these independent youth baseball teams the goal is winning. These teams are made up of glory hunting parents and coaches who spend way too much time and money traveling the country to win tournaments. With soccer programs that operate under the US Soccer Fed, which is most of them, the #1 goal is player development.

    If you want to be a youth soccer organization you are required to have a comprehensive development model in place that addresses the needs of all kids of all abilities. Rec players aren't left behind. And even in more competitive environments, at least the ones I know of, they aren't going to sit a kid the entire game in order to win a game. Again, the goal is development, not winning. US Soccer has also done things like reduce the size of fields and teams because doing so gives individual players more touches on the ball and gets them more interested and involved in the game.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    2,328

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Just chiming in to say this thread went like I expected, with the people I expected.

    I tell my 9 year old who just started softball this past Fall and is several years behind most of her peers, if you don't want to sit, keep working. Simple enough.

    And you know what, despite all the hard work I've put her through to try and catch up, she still eats it all up. Glued to the TV/computer during Cajun baseball and softball games.

    Personally, I think distance running is in her future, but since she loves softball, I'm having fun.


  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Breaux Bridge
    Posts
    3,836

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Special athletes are special athletes ... one of my son's friends father was a 2 sport athlete in college and he did not start playing organized sports until he was 12.

    Problem is, those types of athletes are rare. Parents need to stop believing that every one of their kids are that same type of special athlete. Nothing can replace hard work. Nothing!


  17. #77
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,606
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    I had so many great times both coaching and watching both my kids play sports I would not trade those experiences for anything. Those rides home talking about every play of every game are priceless.

    We never thought about travel teams or anything like that. Rec ball Allstars was out goal each season, then on to the next sport. We still talk about those times with big smiles.


  18. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Just chiming in to say this thread went like I expected, with the people I expected.

    I tell my 9 year old who just started softball this past Fall and is several years behind most of her peers, if you don't want to sit, keep working. Simple enough.

    And you know what, despite all the hard work I've put her through to try and catch up, she still eats it all up. Glued to the TV/computer during Cajun baseball and softball games.

    Personally, I think distance running is in her future, but since she loves softball, I'm having fun.
    This. The kid is going to like what the kid is going to like, and there's really nothing parents can do about it. We can expose them to it, but ultimately, they'll like what the are interested in.

  19. #79
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    5,897

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Just chiming in to say this thread went like I expected, with the people I expected.

    I tell my 9 year old who just started softball this past Fall and is several years behind most of her peers, if you don't want to sit, keep working. Simple enough.

    And you know what, despite all the hard work I've put her through to try and catch up, she still eats it all up. Glued to the TV/computer during Cajun baseball and softball games.

    Personally, I think distance running is in her future, but since she loves softball, I'm having fun.
    I would suggest you keep her interested softball and you stay involved.

    She's still a bit young to start running. Is she faster than you? Where's cajunxrunner when you need him?

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    873

    Default Re: Epic Rant From Robe

    Big question, has this select stuff hindered or boosted the popularity of wiffle ball?


Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •