Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

  1. Ragin' Cajuns Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State



    Junior catcher Handsome Monica came through with a walk-off squeeze bunt in the ninth as the 14th-ranked Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns baseball team defeated Appalachian State 4-3 on Sunday at M.L. "Tigue" Moore Field at Russo Park to claim the squads fourth straight series victory of the year.


  2. #2
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,327

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    Junior catcher Handsome Monica came through with a walk

  3. #3
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,327

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    Photo sure captures the thrill of victory

    a keeper for the grand kids to see!!!


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,677

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    I love his enthusiasm and hope he continues to improve during the season!

    GEAUX CAJUNS!


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,421

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I love his enthusiasm and hope he continues to improve during the season!

    GEAUX CAJUNS!
    Same here....i look for many good things from this guy as time goes by.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    I'm happy we won the game, won the series, and for Monica to get his name in the headlines for being able to lay down a successful bunt.

    I think Kennon Fontenot leading off the 9th with a double to put himself (the winning run) on second is deserving of recognition.

    Congrats on winning the series.
    GEAUX CAJUNS


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,677

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I'm happy we won the game, won the series, and for Monica to get his name in the headlines for being able to lay down a successful bunt.

    I think Kennon Fontenot leading off the 9th with a double to put himself (the winning run) on second is deserving of recognition.

    Congrats on winning the series.
    GEAUX CAJUNS
    You are right! There is nobody to bunt in if he doesn't start it off like that!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    4,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You are right! There is nobody to bunt in if he doesn't start it off like that!
    Also recall that Fontenot was down 0-2 and battle back to full count, fouled off several pitches and THEN got the hit. That was a GREAT AB

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3,421

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    You are right! There is nobody to bunt in if he doesn't start it off like that!
    Yes indeed....glad you both pointed that out. He worked his way out of 0-2 count before the hit....He was the first cog in the winning machine!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    I'm happy we won the game, won the series, and for Monica to get his name in the headlines for being able to lay down a successful bunt.

    I think Kennon Fontenot leading off the 9th with a double to put himself (the winning run) on second is deserving of recognition.

    Congrats on winning the series.
    GEAUX CAJUNS
    I don't think people realize how important Kennon has been for us this year. He's become a sneaky good defensive OF and has so many quality ABs.

  11. #11
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,230

    Default Re: Monica Lifts Cajuns Baseball To Series Win Over Appalachian State

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I don't think people realize how important Kennon has been for us this year. He's become a sneaky good defensive OF and has so many quality ABs.
    His batting average of 0.300 is actually higher than I thought it was before checking. My issue is we are averaging almost one strikeout per every four at bats. The team batting average is up to 0.269, but that has to continue to improve. You can get away with a lower batting average if you're average is good when you have runners in scoring position, but unfortunately ours hasn't been very good.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    11,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    His batting average of 0.300 is actually higher than I thought it was before checking. My issue is we are averaging almost one strikeout per every four at bats. The team batting average is up to 0.269, but that has to continue to improve. You can get away with a lower batting average if you're average is good when you have runners in scoring position, but unfortunately ours hasn't been very good.
    IMO, our brand of baseball is very hard on hitters. We essentially give our hitters fewer opportunities by relying on the timely hit. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just my personal opinion that this kind of offense is more taxing on the man at the plate.

    It's also interesting that we are attracting bigger and better recruits with some interesting results. Touted recruits are not touted because they can play situationally, bunt, have a knack for when to steal, understand counts, be disciplined at the plate and execute squeezes. Usually, the more talented and touted guys get recognized because of eye popping numbers, producing runs, being atheltic, hitting HRs, gap power, etc. The crux of the matter is, those kind of players rarely accel at small ball. It has to be taught to them, mostly from scratch.

    Something interesting to think about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •