As of 8:30pm CST Sunday ...

W/L -> 11-6 (.64705)
    WP -> .63226
    OWP -> .52377
    OOWP -> .52341
    SOS -> .52365
    --
    RPI -> .55080 (#68)

Sans all other games, a win over Houston Tuesday night would result in ...
    WP -> .64815
    OWP -> .53479
    OOWP -> .53390
    SOS -> .53449
    --
    RPI -> .56291 (currently #53)

A loss would yield ...
    WP -> .58333
    OWP -> .53479
    OOWP -> .51985
    SOS -> .52981
    --
    RPI -> .54319 (currently #77)

Meanwhile, at present, the Cajuns' Sun Belt schedule will contribute a mere .50700 to the Cajuns' OWP. Sun Belt schools need to win more OOC games.

Brian

Blog Entries

Default Re: Cajun Baseball RPI

Thanks for clearing things up !!!

Thanks Brian! A couple winnable (I hope) games for St. Peter's this week... Will be keeping an eye on them also...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Thanks Brian! A couple winnable (I hope) games for St. Peter's this week... Will be keeping an eye on them also...
    we need them chumps to plant a lucky rabbits foot in each of their azzes

UL Baseball Re: Cajun Baseball RPI

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    A Saint Peter's doubleheader win over Albany on Tuesday would take the Cajuns' RPI where they are now (.55080) and move it to .61261 (excluding all other results) ... good for a #15 RPI ranking. Splitting the doubleheader would result in a Cajuns' RPI of .58173 (good for a #38 ranking).

A Saint Peter's doubleheader sweep Tuesday over Albany and a Cajun win over Houston would yield a Cajuns' RPI of .62099 (#11 ranking).

Now, before folks get too excited, this would not be sustainable for Saint Peter's. This would mean an OWP contribution of .66667 (from .00000). Saint Peter's is simply not going to win 2/3 of their games. I am hoping for 1/3.

Brian

I wonder how much a difference finishing the SLU game would have made at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I wonder how much a difference finishing the SLU game would have made at this point.
    A Cajun win in that uncompleted SLU game would increase their current RPI from .55080 to .56541 (#49 ranking). Houston has a considerably better OOWP contribution than SLU (.61060 vs. .52900), but that SLU game is a road game for the Cajuns ... hence the slightly better lift.

Brian

If we just win 40 games this season our RPI will take care of itself.... 40 seems to be the magic number!

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    If we just win 40 games this season our RPI will take care of itself.... 40 seems to be the magic number!
    In order to win 40 in the regular season, only 10 more losses can occur. I have a hard time seeing that occurring. Hitting is still not coming along at a pace needed for more success. Add that issue to the fact that the game itself causes even the best teams to lose 1/3 of their games (Tony said that again Saturday) and you see that 40 is a tall order. I would be happy to get to 40 including the conference tournament games. Speaking of conference, did any teams sweep over the weekend?

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    In order to win 40 in the regular season, only 10 more losses can occur. I have a hard time seeing that occurring. Hitting is still not coming along at a pace needed for more success. Add that issue to the fact that the game itself causes even the best teams to lose 1/3 of their games (Tony said that again Saturday) and you see that 40 is a tall order. I would be happy to get to 40 including the conference tournament games. Speaking of conference, did any teams sweep over the weekend?

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Just wondering for you stat guys how high would the state of Louisiana rank as compared to other states---I know Tulane is down but the others are quite formidable!!!

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm thinking we have a great opportunity to win 40 or more in the regular season. Our hitting is improving, we're expecting excellent help we've missed so far with Smith being out. Remember we were in prime position to win both LTU, and USM by properly laying down a squeeze bunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Take care of itself ... meaning exactly what? A slot in the 64 team tournament? Even though the schedule (and resulting SOS) is not nearly as strong as 2016, winning 40 games likely puts the Cajuns in the thick of #2/#3 seed consideration. A #1 seed? Not unless things change dramatically and the Cajuns' SOS improves significantly. This is why tracking the SOS (OWP and OOWP) is important.

The Cajuns had a strong SOS (.55080) in 2016. Their OOC OWP was #1 in the country ... and their OOC SOS was highly ranked as well. This was the reason the Cajuns were able to sneak in and grab the last #1 seed with their #15 ranked RPI. The Cajuns won 41 games by selection time and needed every one of them (along with conference regular season and tournament titles) ... paired with the best "RPI schedule" they have had in some time to grab that last #1 seed. Meanwhile, as the Cajuns enter conference play ... the Sun Belt conference contribution to the Cajuns' SOS is weaker in 2017.

Brian

No teams swept in conference this weekend everyone is either 2-1 or 1-2

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Take care of itself ... meaning exactly what? A slot in the 64 team tournament? Even though the schedule (and resulting SOS) is not nearly as strong as 2016, winning 40 games likely puts the Cajuns in the thick of #2/#3 seed consideration. A #1 seed? Not unless things change dramatically and the Cajuns' SOS improves significantly. This is why tracking the SOS (OWP and OOWP) is important.

The Cajuns had a strong SOS (.55080) in 2016. Their OOC OWP was #1 in the country ... and their OOC SOS was highly ranked as well. This was the reason the Cajuns were able to sneak in and grab the last #1 seed with their #15 ranked RPI. The Cajuns won 41 games by selection time and needed every one of them (along with conference regular season and tournament titles) ... paired with the best "RPI schedule" they have had in some time to grab that last #1 seed. Meanwhile, as the Cajuns enter conference play ... the Sun Belt conference contribution to the Cajuns' SOS is weaker in 2017.

Brian
    so we should book our tickets to the Baton Rouge regional?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79 View Post
    so we should book our tickets to the Baton Rouge regional?
    You could actually see both baseball and softball in Baton Rouge. Would that not be fun.

Of course, Cajun softball (current RPI ranking of #41) has a very RPI friendly conference slate to fall back on this year ... to help offset what is not a strong OOC slate (due to a number of bad teams bringing down the SOS ... a weak .50177). Cajun softball OOC opponent OWP contributions (.49356) are ranked #172 in the country with OOC OOWP contributions (.51820) ranked #86.

Brian