Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: La Tech & App State Preview | The Grind

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Coach Robe does not seem to understand that there is no more RPI impact (w/respect to winning/losing) on any game vs. any other game (home/road issues aside). Each and every game (home vs. home, road vs. road) counts equally regarding wins and losses with the RPI. So, if you have a road midweek game vs. the #5 RPI team and a road weekend game against the #150 team ... a win vs. the #150 will count the same as a win vs. the #5. You can mix and match win/loss ... the result is the same.

Now, in the selection room, the committee is going to evaluate how you performed vs. the RPI Top 25/50/75 ... 150+, etc. ... depending on your peer group. This is simply part of the evaluation criteria ... and there are many pieces to that criteria (including whether you win a conference championship and how you finished in conference). But this is not the RPI itself.

Brian
    Brian, I think Robe understands it completely. You said it yourself with your second half answer. He's putting more importance on this because it will directly affect our resume against Top 25 or Top 50 at selection time. I get what you're saying about every game being equal when it comes to the actual RPI valuation. But I've heard Robe talk about this subject a lot to know that when he refers to "midweek games having more importance now", he's simply referring to the fact that usually we play some decent teams in the midweek and in the late 90's and early 00's, he didn't really have this outlook on midweek games having importance as he used to just use those as development games for his pitching staff and reserve players.

He now recognizes the importance of winning these games.

Default Re: La Tech & App State Preview | The Grind

Casey Sullivan, who isn't a weekend starter, will be pitching tomorrow night

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    As I'm sure we'll be wearing our uni's with Louisiana written proudly across the front.
    I sure hope so. But we already know that the folks from @ruston have zero reading comprehension skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    Brian, I think Robe understands it completely. You said it yourself with your second half answer. He's putting more importance on this because it will directly affect our resume against Top 25 or Top 50 at selection time. I get what you're saying about every game being equal when it comes to the actual RPI valuation. But I've heard Robe talk about this subject a lot to know that when he refers to "midweek games having more importance now", he's simply referring to the fact that usually we play some decent teams in the midweek and in the late 90's and early 00's, he didn't really have this outlook on midweek games having importance as he used to just use those as development games for his pitching staff and reserve players.

I never use understood the hate that tech got for starting their ace against us in the first place last year. Did they also start him the second game here last year when they beat us? I don't fully understand thE intricacies of a rotation but it didn't seem like a bad strategy and now our own coach confirms it. Beating any team with a good rpi is a must no matter when the game is played.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragincajun07 View Post
    I never use understood the hate that tech got for starting their ace against us in the first place last year. Did they also start him the second game here last year when they beat us? I don't fully understand thE intricacies of a rotation but it didn't seem like a bad strategy and now our own coach confirms it. Beating any team with a good rpi is a must no matter when the game is played.
    I wouldn't call it hate so much as it being a chicken ____ thing to do to a kid that early in the season. He threw over 100 pitches and, sure enough, a week or two later and he was out with injury.

But hey, coach got a big promotion so all ended well.

Looks like Scott nailed it..

Jack taking the mound today.

For you flea bags reading, he's a freshman.

Coach Robe does not seem to understand that there is no more RPI impact (w/respect to winning/losing) on any game vs. any other game (home/road issues aside). Each and every game (home vs. home, road vs. road) counts equally regarding wins and losses with the RPI. So, if you have a road midweek game vs. the #5 RPI team and a road weekend game against the #150 team ... a win vs. the #150 will count the same as a win vs. the #5. You can mix and match win/loss ... the result is the same.

Now, in the selection room, the committee is going to evaluate how you performed vs. the RPI Top 25/50/75 ... 150+, etc. ... depending on your peer group. This is simply part of the evaluation criteria ... and there are many pieces to that criteria (including whether you win a conference championship and how you finished in conference). But this is not the RPI itself.

Brian
    Splain me sumptin Brian. Neck beats a 200 + Grambling at home and moves up a notch in RPI. We beat a 200+ St Peters at home and drop 30 overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Splain me sumptin Brian. Neck beats a 200 + Grambling at home and moves up a notch in RPI. We beat a 200+ St Peters at home and drop 30 overnight.
    I can answer that one! Because St.Peters is O-1 in games not involving LA, their WP is 0.000. Grambling is 6-9 in games not involving Tech. While that is not a great record, that WP is MUCH better than 0.000.

IF St. Peters can win their next game, I'd expect Cajun RPI to make a significant jump, probably Top 30, although that is just a guess and assuming Cajuns continue to win.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I can answer that one! Because St.Peters is O-1 in games not involving LA, their WP is 0.000. Grambling is 6-9 in games not involving Tech. While that is not a great record, that WP is MUCH better than 0.000.

IF St. Peters can win their next game, I'd expect Cajun RPI to make a significant jump, probably Top 30, although that is just a guess and assuming Cajuns continue to win.

I should probably pay more attention in class.

Does your ace normally pitch Sunday games instead of Friday? I'm confused.
    Nah this one pitches Tuesday and Wednesday games also...

We threw our better aces against GSU last night

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    The intentional use of just Lafayette says they know we are Louisiana and the just can't admit it. So they use Lafayette out of spite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicky Rustle View Post
    The intentional use of just Lafayette says they know we are Louisiana and the just can't admit it. So they use Lafayette out of spite.
    Yes. Like I said earlier this shows how classless these mutts are.....from the admin on down.

UL Baseball Re: La Tech & App State Preview | The Grind

I guess it is the language/exact phrasing that he uses that leads me to believe otherwise. He never says anything concerning the game being important for the selection process at the conclusion of the season. He always speaks in terms of "this being a big RPI game" (winning/losing). IOW, helping or hurting your RPI. But I hear what you are saying and hopefully that is the case.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post

To add to what cajundiehard said ...

LTU's RPI did not improve with the win over Grambling ... it fell (.6362 to .6340). Their RPI ranking increased (#9 to #8) ... but you need to understand that the RPI ranking is very dependent on the teams around them.

Also understand that you can have the following situation ...

1) The Cajuns play (and defeat) a team with a #26 RPI ranking.
    or
    2) The Cajuns play (and defeat) a team with a #260 RPI ranking.

In terms of your RPI, option #2 could be preferable. That is, you could see a bigger increase in your RPI with #2 than #1 ... or a smaller drop in your RPI with #2 than #1. These extreme cases happen every year ... as well as many cases in between. This is where the principal flaw of the RPI is exposed (and there are many). When assessing how a game will affect your RPI, you need to look at the raw numbers and understand the formula.

Brian

No Robe nor anyone else on the Cajuns staff knows what they need to regarding RPI. I know they don't like it but its about damn time for someone on the staff to get themselves educated on it enough to make certain they are making the right decisions for the ball club. I know the offer has been put out there.

Think about it. His solution is to eliminate midweek games from the formula and only use weekend series. This would obviously mean the majority of the RPI calcs would come from within your own conference and would eliminate a lot of connectivity. It would make the formula almost useless.

So for this year under Robe's plan we would be stuck with the St. Peters games but would lose the games against LSU, La Tech, Southeastern, Texas, and Houston??? That right there tells you what you need to know about understanding RPI.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes. Like I said earlier this shows how classless these mutts are.....from the admin on down.
    Honestly i would hope our administration would have the balls to do to the same...has nothing to do with class

To add to what cajundiehard said ...

LTU's RPI did not improve with the win over Grambling ... it fell (.6362 to .6340). Their RPI ranking increased (#9 to #8) ... but you need to understand that the RPI ranking is very dependent on the teams around them.

Also understand that you can have the following situation ...

1) The Cajuns play (and defeat) a team with a #26 RPI ranking.
    or
    2) The Cajuns play (and defeat) a team with a #260 RPI ranking.

In terms of your RPI, option #2 could be preferable. That is, you could see a bigger increase in your RPI with #2 than #1 ... or a smaller drop in your RPI with #2 than #1. These extreme cases happen every year ... as well as many cases in between. This is where the principal flaw of the RPI is exposed (and there are many). When assessing how a game will affect your RPI, you need to look at the raw numbers and understand the formula.

Brian
    I think it went up because UTA, who Tech swept, beat a very good Texas Tech team last night

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I sure hope so. But we already know that the folks from @ruston have zero reading comprehension skills.
    Louisiana has way too many syllables for that bunch.

Big game tonight...hope the boys come to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Louisiana has way too many syllables for that bunch.
    They were whining on their site that their coach needed help getting our name correct, which means he's getting it right.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast