Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: rpi killer game 3

UL Baseball Re: rpi killer game 3

You folks are going to love this ...

The first official NCAA Baseball RPI is out and they have the Cajuns with an RPI ranking of 101.

Before anyone has a heart attack, the NCAA messed up. They have Louisiana with a 10-5 record having played both Murray State and Hofstra a second time each ... with the game results being identical to the actual results to the games they did play.

3-14 NCAA Site - RPI Rankings
    3-14 Nitty Gritty
    3-14 Team Sheets

Of course, Murray State and Hofstra are also messed up ... and this affects many teams in some small fashion.

Brian

Blog Entries

Default Re: rpi killer game 3

Brian, Oh GOD of the RPI heavens.. Have you contacted them??

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Brian, Oh GOD of the RPI heavens.. Have you contacted them??
    LOL. No, they will figure it out. It is a data problem (not an algorithmic problem) that was introduced in the last day or so. There was a 3/12 version that was released (without the details) that was correct. Once they re-process the game results, it will take care of itself.

Brian

Blog Entries

So our rpi of 74 from warren nolan is a good estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    LOL. No, they will figure it out. It is a data problem (not an algorithmic problem) that was introduced in the last day or so. There was a 3/12 version that was released (without the details) that was correct. Once they re-process the game results, it will take care of itself.

Brian
    Brian, in what scenarios would you see the Cajuns truly needing the RPI to be in their favor to host? No SBC champ/tourney champ? Less than 40 wins? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    Brian, in what scenarios would you see the Cajuns truly needing the RPI to be in their favor to host? No SBC champ/tourney champ? Less than 40 wins? Something else?
    I think we need all of those things in our favor to host a regional. Serious help in the RPI category for a National seed.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    So our rpi of 74 from warren nolan is a good estimate?
    I do not know if it is exactly correct (as I have not checked for errors), but Warren sent me a note a few days ago saying that he fixed the problem I found this weekend and I verified at that time. If it is not exactly correct now, I expect that it is quite close.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunjeb View Post
    As RPI is the primary tool for determining national seeds and #1 seeds ... you need it to be in your favor. The most important thing is a Top 16 RPI (to host) ... especially for a southern school. But you need the other important criteria to host (discussed as nauseum every year).

While much is still to be determined, I think that with the way the schedule strength is unfolding, the Cajuns may need to win significantly more games than last season to get that #15 or #14 RPI ranking. For example, thus far the OOC SOS is not as strong and neither is the Conference SOS. But there is much left to play and there is time for a reversal. But I would say that I certainly do not like where our SOS is at this point (also looking at the teams later in the schedule and what they have done to this point).

Brian

I think ESPN has gotten to the NCAA baseball RIP wizards and said the NCAA should include losses from the Lafayette Leopards in our RPI calculations.

As RPI is the primary tool for determining national seeds and #1 seeds ... you need it to be in your favor. The most important thing is a Top 16 RPI (to host) ... especially for a southern school. But you need the other important criteria to host (discussed as nauseum every year).

While much is still to be determined, I think that with the way the schedule strength is unfolding, the Cajuns may need to win significantly more games than last season to get that #15 or #14 RPI ranking. For example, thus far the OOC SOS is not as strong and neither is the Conference SOS. But there is much left to play and there is time for a reversal. But I would say that I certainly do not like where our SOS is at this point (also looking at the teams later in the schedule and what they have done to this point).

Brian
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_RH View Post
    I think we need all of those things in our favor to host a regional. Serious help in the RPI category for a National seed.
    A little info from an article written in 2013.

Only 33 teams (of 176) inside the Top 16 of the RPI weren't given hosting spots and only 10 of those schools were inside the Top 10. That's on average three schools a year or 18.75 percent of teams inside the Top 16 of the RPI get snubbed.

- Only three schools inside the Top 10 of RPI were snubbed on NCAA Regional hosting bids since 2006.

- Only one national seed was snubbed of a NCAA Regional hosting spot and that Arizona State (No. 7 seed and No. 3 in RPI) in 2004 as the Sun Devils were sent to California State University at Fullerton.

- The lowest RPI rating to be given a hosting spot was No. 43 (Notre Dame in 2002 after they won 50 games and were the Big East Conference champions)

- Only four schools from No. 30 and lower in the RPI have been selected to host - Notre Dame in 2002, Southern California in 2002 (31), Oregon State in 2006 (30) and Michigan in 2008 (35) but the Wolverines were a 2-seed in Ann Arbor with Arizona (No. 10 in RPI) as the top seed.

- Not a single school in the RPI Top 16 was excluded from hosting last season. Arizona State was No. 16 but due to NCAA recruiting violations were banned from participating in the 2012 NCAA tournament.

Without looking it up I think you will find a continuing or even stronger correlation to RPI and host venues from 2013 to 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    A little info from an article written in 2013.

Only 33 teams (of 176) inside the Top 16 of the RPI weren't given hosting spots and only 10 of those schools were inside the Top 10. That's on average three schools a year or 18.75 percent of teams inside the Top 16 of the RPI get snubbed.

- Only three schools inside the Top 10 of RPI were snubbed on NCAA Regional hosting bids since 2006.

- Only one national seed was snubbed of a NCAA Regional hosting spot and that Arizona State (No. 7 seed and No. 3 in RPI) in 2004 as the Sun Devils were sent to California State University at Fullerton.

- The lowest RPI rating to be given a hosting spot was No. 43 (Notre Dame in 2002 after they won 50 games and were the Big East Conference champions)

- Only four schools from No. 30 and lower in the RPI have been selected to host - Notre Dame in 2002, Southern California in 2002 (31), Oregon State in 2006 (30) and Michigan in 2008 (35) but the Wolverines were a 2-seed in Ann Arbor with Arizona (No. 10 in RPI) as the top seed.

- Not a single school in the RPI Top 16 was excluded from hosting last season. Arizona State was No. 16 but due to NCAA recruiting violations were banned from participating in the 2012 NCAA tournament.

Without looking it up I think you will find a continuing or even stronger correlation to RPI and host venues from 2013 to 2016.
    This looks strangely familiar.

Brian

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

This looks strangely familiar.

Brian
    Yogi would say "It's like déjà vu all over again".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4